Finished Surface Simulation Method to Predicting the Effects of Machine Tool Motion Errors
Ryuta Sato*, Yuki Sato*, Keiichi Shirase*,
Gianni Campatelli**, and Antonio Scippa**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kobe University, 1-1 Rokko-dai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501, Japan
**Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Florence, Via di Santa Marta, 3-50139 Firenze, Italy
-  H. Hasebe, S. Wakaoka, and T. Yamamoto, “An NC data analyzer for improving the quality of machined surface,” Proc. of the Mechanical Engineering Congress 2004, pp. 329-330, 2004. (in Japanese).
-  Godo Solution Inc., “Path Scope (online),”
available from http://www.godo.co.jp/product/machining/ps.html [accessed on Apr. 16, 2014]
-  H. Iwabe, K. Shimizu, and M. Sasaki, “Analysis of cutting mechanism by ball end mill using 3D-CAD,” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.49, No.1, pp. 28-34, 2006.
-  I. Buj-Corral, J. Vivancos-Calvet, and A. Dominguez-Fernandez, “Surface topography in ball-end milling processes as a function of feed per tooth and radial depth of cut,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.53, pp. 151-159, 2012.
-  J. Kim and C. Kim, “Influence of machine vibration on surface generation in ultra precision machining,” Proc. of the ICOMM, No.86, pp. 497-501, 2011.
-  A. Scippa, N. Grossi, and G. Campatelli, “Milled surface generation model for chip thickness detection in peripheral miling,” Proc. CIRP, Vol.8, pp. 450-455, 2013.
-  K. Nishio, R. Sato, and K. Shirase, “Influence of motion errors of feed drive systems on machined surface,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 781-791, 2012.
-  Y. Sato, R. Sato, and K. Shirase, “Influence of motion error of feed drive systems onto machined surface generated by ball end-mill,” Proc. of the 7th Int. Conf. on Leading Edge Manufacturing in 21st Century, No.A001, 2013.
-  M. Tsutsumi M and A. Saito, “Identification and compensation of systematic deviations particular to 5-axis machining centers,” Int. J. of machine tools & manufacture, Vol.43, pp. 771-780, 2003.
-  M. Tsutsumi, S. Tone, N. Kato, and R. Sato, “Enhancement of geometric accuracy of five-axis machining centers based on identification and compensation of geometric deviations,” Int. J. of machine tools & manufacture, Vol.68, pp. 11-20, 2013.
-  B. Bringmann and W. Knapp, “Model-based ‘chace-the-ball’ calibration of a 5-axis machining center,” CIRP annals ’ manufacturing technology, Vol.55, Issue 1, pp. 431-534, 2006.
-  S. Weikert, “R-test, a new device for accuracy measurements on five axis machine tools,” CIRP annals – manufacturing technology, Vol.53, Issue 1, pp. 429-432, 2004.
-  S. Ibaraki, M. Sawada, A. Matsubara, and T. Matsushita, “Machining tests to identify kinematic errors on five-axis machine tools,” Precision Engineering, Vol.34, No.3, pp. 387-398, 2010.
-  C. Hong, S. Ibaraki, and A. Matsubara, “Influence of positiondependent geometric errors of rotary axes on a machining test of cone frustum by five-axis machine tools,” Precision Engineering, Vol.35, No.1, pp. 1-11, 2011.
-  NAS979, “Unifirm cutting tests – NAS series, metal cutting equipment specifications,” pp. 34-37, 1969.
-  M. Tsutsumi, D. Yumiza, K. Utsumi, and R. Sato, “Evaluation of synchronous motion in five-axis machining centers with a tilting rotary table,” J. of Advanced Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 24-35, 2007.
-  R. Sato and M. Tsutsumi, “High performance motion control of rotary table for 5-axis machining centers,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 113-119, 2007.
-  R. Sato and M. Tsutsumi, “Dynamic synchronous accuracy of translational and rotary axes,” Int. J. of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems, Vol.4, No.3/4, pp. 201-219, 2011.
-  K. Erkorkmaz and Y. Altintas, “High speed CNC system design. Part II: modeling and identification of feed drives,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.41, No.10, pp. 1487-1509, 2001.
-  O. Zirn, “Machine tool analysis – modelling, simulation and control of machine tool manipulators,” Habilitation Thesis, ETH Zurich, Institute of Machine Tools and Manufacturing, 2008.
-  R. Sato and M. Tsutsumi, “Modeling, and controller tuning techniques for feed drive systems,” Proc. of the ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Division, Part A, DSC-Vol.74-1, pp. 669-679, 2005.
-  R. Sato, “Feed drive simulator,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.6, pp. 875-882, 2011.
-  Fanuc Ltd., “Fanuc AC servo motor parameter manual,” B-65270EN/07, 2010.
-  ISO230-1, “Test code for machine tools – Part 1: Geometric accuracy of machines operating under no-load or quasi-static conditions,” 2012.
-  S. Ibaraki and W. Knapp, “Indirect measurement of volumetric accuracy for three-axis and five-axis machine tools: a review,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 110-124, 2012.
-  CGTech.Co. Ltd., “VERICUT (online),”
available from http://www.cgtech.com/ [accessed on Apr. 16, 2014]
-  Blender Foundation, “Blender (online),”
available from http://www.blender.org/ [accessed on Apr. 16, 2014]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.