Challenges and Opportunities of Lean Remanufacturing
Jelena Kurilova-Palisaitiene and Erik Sundin
Division of Manufacturing Engineering, Department of Management and Engineering, Linköping University, SE-58381, Linköping, Sweden
-  N. Modig and P. Åhlström, “This is Lean – resolving the efficiency paradox,” Rheologica Publishing, Stockholm, 2012.
-  J. Womack and D. T. Jones, “Lean Thinking,” Simon & Schuster, New York, 1996.
-  E. Sundin, “How can Remanufacturing Processes become Leaner?” Proc. of 13th CIRP Int. Conf. on Life Cycle Engineering, Leuven, Belgium, May 31 – Jun. 02, pp. 429-434, 2006.
-  E. Sundin and H. M. Lee, “In what way is remanufacturing good for the environment?” Proc. of the 7th Int. Symp. on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing (EcoDesign-11) Nov. 30 – Dec. 2, Kyoto, Japan, pp. 551-556, 2011.
-  J. Östlin, E. Sundin, and M. Björkman, “Business Drivers for Remanufacturing,” the Proc. of 15th CIRP Int. Conf. on Life Cycle Engineering, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 17-19 Mar., pp. 581-586, 2008.
-  R. Hammond, T. Amezquita, and B. Bras, “Issues in the Automotive Parts Remanufacturing Industry – A Discussion of Results from Surveys Performed among Remanufacturers,” Systems Realization Laboratory, The George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA, pp. 1-24, 1996.
-  V. D. R. Guide Jr., “Production planning and control for remanufacturing: Industry practice and research needs,” J. of Operations Management, Vol.18, Issue 4, pp. 467-483, 2000.
-  P. Lundmark, E. Sundin, and M. Björkman, “Industrial Challenges within the Remanufacturing System,” Proc. of Swedish Production Symp., Dec. 2-3, Göteborg, Sweden, pp. 132-138, 2009.
-  A. E. E. Van Nunen Jo and R. A. Zuidwijk, “E-Enabled Closed-Loop Supply Chains,” California management review, Vol.46, No.2, pp. 40-54, 2004.
-  M. A. Seitz and K. Peattie, “Meeting the Closed-Loop Challenge: The Case of Remanufacturing,” California management review, Vol.46, No.2, pp. 74-89, 2004.
-  L. Lindkvist and E. Sundin, “The Use of Product Life-Cycle Information in a Value Chain including Remanufacturing, Reengineering Manufacturing for Sustainability,” Proc. of the 20th CIRP Int. Conf. on Life Cycle Engineering, Singapore, 17-19 Apr., pp. 621-626, 2013.
-  R. Steinhilper, “Remanufacturing – The ultimate form of recycling,” Fraunhofer IRB Verlag, Stuttgart, 1998.
-  J. Östlin, E. Sundin, and M. Björkman, “Product Life-cycle Implications for Remanufacturing Strategies,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.17, Issue 11, pp. 999-1009, 2009.
-  Inmar Reverse Logistics, “Special Report on Automotive Aftermarket Reverse Logistics Opportunities,” Mema Information Services Council, Inmar, Winston-Salem, USA, 2009.
-  J. Kurilova-Palisaitiene and E. Sundin, “Remanufacturing: Challenges and Opportunities to be Lean,” Proc. of 8th Int. Symp. on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing (EcoDesign 2013), Jeju Island, South Korea, Dec. 4-6, pp. 2013.
-  H. Hiraoka and A. Tanaka, “Simulator for Reuse of Mechanical Parts with Network Agents,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.1, 2009.
-  S. Lind, D. Olsson, and E. Sundin, “Exploring inter-organizational relationships in automotive component remanufacturing,” J. of Remanufacturing, Vol.4, No. 5, 2014.
-  S. Dowlatshahi, “A strategic framework for the design and implementation of remanufacturing operations in reverse logistics,” Int. J. of Production Research, Vol.43, Issue 6, pp. 3455-3480, 2005.
-  T. Amezquita, R. Hammond, and B. A. Bras, “Issues in the Automotive Parts Remanufacturing Industry: Discussion of Results from Surveys Performed among Remanufacturers,” Int. J. of Engineering Design and Automation – Special Issue on Environmentally Conscious Design and Management, Vol.4, 1, pp. 27-46, 1998.
-  J. T. Mentzer, W. DeWitt, J. S. Keebler, M. Soonhoong, N. W. Nix, C. D. Smith, and Z. G. Zacharia, “Definition of Supply Chain management,” J. of Business Logistics, Vol.22, Issue 2, pp. 21-26, 2001.
-  B. Ashenbaum, “Designing the supply chain for production and after market needs,” Critical Issues report, CAPS: Center for Strategic Supply Research, 2006.
-  M. M. Davis and J. Heineke, “Operations Management – Integrating Manufacturing and Services,” McGraw Hill, New York, 2005.
-  J. Olhager, “Produktionsekonomi,” Studentlitteratur, Lund, Sweden, 2000.
-  Y. Umeda, S. Kondoh, and S. Takashi, “Proposal of “Marginal Reuse Rate” for Evaluating Reusability of Products,” Int. Conf. on Engineering Design, Melbourne, Aug. 15-18, 2005.
-  A. Atasu and L. N. Van Wassenhove, “Outsourcing Remanufacturing under Finite Life Cycles: Operational and Tactical Issues,” ZfBSpecial Issue 3, pp. 77-94, 2005.
-  A. Phelan, J. Griffiths, and S. Fisher, “Pushing Worldwide Aftermarket Support of Manufactured Goods,” Managing Service Quality, Vol.10, Issue 3, pp. 170-177, 2000.
-  V. D. R. Guide Jr., “Production economics – Scheduling with priority dispatching rules and drum-buffer-rope in a recoverable manufacturing system,” Int. J. of Production Economics, Vol.53, pp. 101-116, 1997.
-  E. Pawlik, W. Ijomah, and J. Corney, “Current State and Future Perspective Research on Lean Remanufacturing – Focusing on the Automotive Industry,” IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, Vol.397, pp. 429-436, 2013.
-  J. S.W. Jr. Fargher, “Lean Manufacturing and Remanufacturing implementation tools,” Missouri Enterprise, University of Missouri, Rolla, MO, 2006.
-  F. R. Jacobs and R. H. Chase, “Operations and supply management – the core,” McGraw Hill, Boston, 2001.
-  J. Östlin and H. Ekholm, “Lean production Principles in Remanufacturing – A Case Study at a Toner Cartridge Remanufacturing,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Symp. on Electronics and the Environment, Orlando, USA, May 7-10, 2007.
-  S. L. Hunter and T. J. Black, “Lean Remanufacturing: a cellular case study,” J. of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 129-144, 2007.
-  R. J. Kucner, “A Socio-technical study of lean manufacturing deployment in the remanufacturing context,” Dissertation, The University of Michigan, 2008.
-  T. Kanikula and T. Koch, “Methodology of Designing Disassembly and Reassembly Processes Using Lean Thinking Approach,” Advances in Production Management Systems New Challenges, New Approaches, pp. 11-18, 2011.
-  P. Hines, M. Holweg, and N. Rich, “Learning to evolve: A review of contemporary lean thinking,” Int. J. of Operations & Production Management, Vol.24, 10, pp. 994-1011, 2004.
-  K. Inderfurth, “Impact of uncertainties on recovery behavior in a remanufacturing environment: A numerical analysis,” Int. J. of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, Vol.35, 5, pp. 318-336, 2005.
-  V. D. R. Jr. Guide, V. Jayaraman, and J. D. Linton, “Building contingency planning for closed-loop supply chains with product recovery,” J. of operations management, Vol.21, Issue 3, pp. 259-279, 2003.
-  N. Slack, “The flexibility of manufacturing systems,” Int. J. of Operations & Production Management, Vol.25, 12, pp. 1190-1200, 2005.
-  C. Bai and J. Sarkis, “Flexibility in reverse logistics: a framework and evaluation approach,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.47, pp. 306-318, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.