Aesthetic Curves and Surfaces in Computer Aided Geometric Design
Kenjiro T. Miura* and R. U. Gobithaasan**
*Shizuoka University, 3-5-1 Jouhoku, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 432-8561, Japan
**University Malaysia Terengganu, 21030 Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia
Aesthetic shapes are usually actualized as 3D objects represented by free-form surfaces. The main components used to achieve aesthetic surfaces are 2D and 3D curves, which are the elements most basic for determining the shapes and silhouettes of industrial products. Bézier, B-Spline and NURBS are types of flexible curves developed for various design intents. These curves, however produce complex curvature functions that may undermine the formulation of shape aesthetics. A viable solution to this problem is to formulate aesthetic curves and surfaces from well-defined curvatures to improve aesthetic design quality. This paper advocates formalizing aesthetic curve and surface theories to fill the gapmentioned above, which has existed since the 1970s. This paper begins by reviewing on fair curves and surfaces. It then extensively discusses on the technicalities of Log-Aesthetic (LA) curves and surfaces and touches on industrial design applications. These emerging LA curves have a high potential for being used as standards to generate, evaluate and reshape aesthetic curves and surfaces, thus revolutionizing efficiency in developing curve and shape aesthetics.
-  G. Farin, “Curves and Surfaces for CAGD: A Practical Guide,” Morgan Kaufmann, 2002.
-  “Designing Fair Curves and Surfaces: Shape Quality in Geometric Modeling and Computer-Aided Design,” N. S. Sapidis (Ed.), SIAM, 1994.
-  R. Levien and C. H. Sequin, “Interpolating splines: Which is the fairest of them all?” Computer-Aided Design and Applications, Vol.6, Issue 1, pp. 91-102, 2009.
-  R. U. Gobithaasan and K. T. Miura, “Aesthetic Spiral for Design,” Sains Malaysiana, Vol.40, No.11, pp. 1301-1305, 2011.
-  J. M. Ali, R. M. Tookey, J. V. Ball, and A. A. Ball, “The Generalized Cornu Spiral and its Application to Span Generation,” J. of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol.102, Issue 1, pp. 37-47, 1999.
-  R. U. Gobithaasan, J. M. Ali, and K. T. Miura, “The Elucidation of Planar Aesthetic Curves,” 17th Int. Conf. in Central Europe on Computer graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision, WSCG2009, 138-188.
-  K. T. Miura, R. Shirahata, S. Agari, S. Usuki, and R. U. Gobithaasan, “Variational Formulation of the Log-aesthetic Surface and Development of Discrete Durface Filters,” Computer-Aided Design and Applications, Vol.9, Issue 6, pp. 901-914, 2012.
-  R. Ziatdinov, N. Yoshida, T. Kim, “Analytic Parametric Equations of Log-aesthetic Curves in Terms of Incomplete Gamma Functions,” Computer Aided Geometric Design, Vol.29, Issue 2, pp. 129-140, 2012.
-  D. S. Meek, T. Saito, D. J. Walton, and Y. Yoshida, “Planar Twopoint G1 Hermite Interpolating Log-aesthetic Spirals,” J. of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol.236, Issue 17, pp. 4485-4493, 2012.
-  P. Joshi and C. Séquin, “Energy Minimizers for Curvature-based Surface Functionals,” Computer Aided Design & Applications, Vol.4, Issue 5, pp. 607-617, 2007.
-  H. Moreton and C. Séquin, “Functional Optimization for Fair Surface Design,” Proc. SIGGRAPH’92, 1992.
-  C. Séquin, P. Chang, and H. Moreton, “Scale-invariant Functionals for Smooth Curves and Surfaces,” Dagstuhl Seminar on Geometric Modeling, 1993.
-  M. Higashi, K. Kaneko, and M. Hosaka, “Generation of High Quality Curve and Surface with Smoothing Varying Curvature,” Eurographics’ 88, pp. 79-92, 1988.
-  Y. Mineur, T. Lichah, J. M. Castelain, and H. Giaume, “A Shape Controlled Fitting Method for Bézier Curves,” Computer Aided Geometric Design, Vol.15, Issue 9, pp. 879-891, 1998.
-  M. Higashi, I. Kohzen, and J. Nagasaka, “An Interactive CAD System for Construction of Shapes with High-Quality Surface,” IFIP’83, North-Holland, pp. 371-389, 1983.
-  G. Farin, “Class A Bezier Curves,” Computer Aided Geometric Design, Vol.23, Issue 7, pp. 573-581, 2006.
-  J. Cao and G. Wang, “A Note on Class A Bzier curves,” Computer Aided Geometric Design, Vol.25, Issue 7, pp. 523-528, 2008.
-  T. Oya, E. Hanafusa, H. Amemiya, and H. Aoyama, “Application of Class A Curves and Surfaces to Aesthetic Design,” 2013 Japan Society of Precision Engineering Autumn Meeing, 2013.
-  M. Livio, “The Golden Ratio, Broadway Books, New York, 2002.
-  T. Takanashi, “Aesthetic Design Methodology,” David press, Tokyo, 2002. (in Japanese)
-  H. Makino, “Clothoidal Interpolation – A New Tool for High-speed Continuous Path Control,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.37, Issue 1, pp. 25-28, 1988.
-  D. S. Meek and D. J.Walton, “The Use of Cornu Spirals in Drawing Planar Curves of Controlled Curvature,” J. of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol.25, pp. 69-78, 1989.
-  D. J.Walton and D. S. Meek, “G1 interpolation with a single Cornu spiral segment,” J. of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol.223, pp. 86-96, 2009.
-  D. S. MeeK and R. S. D. Thomas, “A Guided Clothoid Spline,” Computer Aided Geometric Design, Vol.8, Issue 2, pp. 163-174, 1991.
-  G. Li, X. Li, and H. Li, “3D Discrete Clothoid Splines,” CGI’01, 321, 2001.
-  G. Li, X. Li, and H. Li, “Discrete Clothoid Spline Surfaces on Open Meshes,” Int. J. of Image and Graphics, Vol.1, No.4, 575, 2001.
-  R. J. Cripps, “Algorithms to Support Point-based Cadcam,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.43, Issue 4, pp. 425-432, 2003.
-  K. T. Miura, “Unit Quaternion Integral Curve: A New Type of Fair Free-form Curve,” Computer Aided Geometric Design, Vol.17, Issue 1, pp. 39-58, 2000.
-  K. T. Miura, “Unit Quaternion Integral Surface,” Transaction of IPSJ, 41, 3, 39-58, 2000. (in Japanese)
-  T. Harada, N. Mori, and K. Sugiyama, “Curves’ physical characteristics and self-affine properties,” Bulletin of Japanese Society for the Science of Design, Vol.42, Issue 3, pp. 30-40, 1995. (in Japanese)
-  K. T. Miura, J. Sone, A. Yamashita, and T. Kaneko, “Derivation of a general formula of aesthetic curves,” In Proc. of the Eighth Int. Conf. on Humans and Computers (HC2005), pp. 166-171, 2005.
-  K. T. Miura, “A General Equation of Aesthetic Curves and its Selfaffinity,” Computer-Aided Design & Applications, Vol.3, Issues 1-4, pp. 457-464, 2006.
-  N. Yoshida and T. Saito, “Interactive aesthetic curve segments,” The Visual Computer (Pacific Graphics), Vol.22, Issues 9-11, pp. 896-905, 2006.
-  K. T. Miura, M. Fujisawa, J. Sone, and K. G. Kobayashi, “The Aesthetic Space Curve,” Humans and Computers, 101-106, 2006.
-  N. Yoshida and T. Saito, “Classification of Aesthetic Space Curves,” SIAM Conf. on Geometric Design and Computing, 2007.
-  K. T. Miura, S. Agari, Y. Kawata, M. Fujisawa, and F. Cheng, “Input of log-aesthetic curve segments with inflection end points and generation of log-aesthetic curves with G2 continuity,” Computer-Aided Design & Applications, Vol.5, Issues 1-4, pp. 77-85, 2008.
-  S. Agari, K. T. Miura, M. Fujisawa, T. Nisikawa, and T. Hada, “Input of the Compound-rhythm Log-aesthetic curve and its Applications for styling Design,” J. of Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.75, No.756, pp. 2159-2164, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  R. U. Gobithaasan, R. Karpagavalli, and K. T. Miura, “Shape Analysis of Generalized Log-Aesthetic Curves,” Int. J ofMath. Analysis, Vol.7, No.36, pp. 1751-1759, 2013.
-  R. U. Gobithaasan, R. Karpagavalli, and K. T. Miura, “Drawable Region of the Generalized Log Aesthetic Curves,” J. of Applied Mathematics, Vol.2013, Article ID 732457, 7 pages, 2013.
-  R. U. Gobithaasan, L. P. Yee, and K. T. Miura, “A Generalized Log Aesthetic Space Curve,” ACM Int. Conf. Proc. Series,145-149, 2012.
-  I. Kanaya, Y. Nakano, and K. Sato, “Simulated Designer’s Eyes – Classification of Aesthetic Surfaces –,” Proc. VSMM, 289-296, 2003.
-  A. Gray, E. Abbena, and S. Salamon, “Modern Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces with Mathematica,” Chapman & Hall, 2006.
-  T. Takagi, “Mathematics on Shapes,” Asakura Shoten, Tokyo, 1992. (in Japanese)
-  B. B. Mandelbrot, “The Fractal Geometry of Nature,” W.H. Freeman and Company, 1983.
-  K. T. Miura, S. Agari, T. Akie, N. Yoshida, and T. Saito, “Discrete Log-aesthetic Filter,” Computer-Aided Design & Applications, Vol.6, Issue 4, pp. 501-512, 2009.
-  F. Lan, H. Tamai, and H. Makino, “Interpolation of Arbitrary Point Sequence by Triple Clothoid Curves,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.76, No.10, pp. 1194-1199, 2010, (in Japanese).
-  K. T. Miura, M. Yagi, Y. Kawata, and M. Fujisawa, “Input of aesthetic curve segments with inflection end points and generation of aesthetic curves with G2 continuity,” Proc. Graphics and CAD/Visual Computing Joint Symp. 2007, 297-302. (in Japanese)
-  T. Harada, F. Yoshimoto, and M. Moriyama, “An Aesthetic Curve in the Field of Industrial Design,” Procs. IEEE Symp. on Visual Language 1999, 38-47.
-  K. T. Miura, D. Shibuya, R. U. Gobithaasan, and S. Usuki, “Designing Log-aesthetic Splines with G2 Continuity,” Computer Aided Design & Application, Vol.10, Issue 6, pp. 1021-1032, 2013.
-  T. Hagiwara and T. Harada, “An Algorithm of a Log-aesthetic Curved Surface Generation and a Development of the Curved Surfaces Generation System with VR,” Graphics and CAD, No.2009-CG-134, 13-16, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  M. do Carmo, “Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces,” Prentice hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1976.
-  R. Schneider and L. Kobbelt, “Geometric Fairing of Irregular Meshes for Free-form Surface Design,” Computer Aided Geometric Design, Vol.18, Issue 4, pp. 359-379, 2001.
-  K. T. Miura, S. Usuki, and R. U. Gobithaasan, “Variational Formulation of the Log-Aesthetic Curve,” 14th Int. Conf. on Humans and Computers, Mar. 9-10, 2012, pp. 215-219.
-  K. Kenmotsu, “Surfaces with Constant Mean Curvature,” American Mathematical Society, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.