Motion Analysis of a Manta Robot for Underwater Exploration by Propulsive Experiments and the Design of Central Pattern Generator
Masaaki Ikeda, Shigeki Hikasa, Keigo Watanabe,
and Isaku Nagai
Okayama University, 3-1-1 Tsushima-naka, Kita-ku, Okayama-shi, Okayama, Japan
Although, Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) used for investigating underwater ecology have attracted the attention of underwater researchers, conventional AUVs moved underwater by screw propellers generate loud noise thatmay disturb the underwater environments and inhabitants to be observed. This paper discusses the development of an AUV that mimics the manta ray. Central Pattern Generators (CPGs) are also proposed to generate the motion of pectoral fins for Manta robot. The practicality of the robot is checked in underwater propulsion experiments, and the effectiveness of the proposed motion generation method is demonstrated in numerical simulations.
-  J. Yuh, “Learning Control for Underwater Robotic Vehicles,” IEEE Control System Magazine, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 39-46, 1994.
-  J. Yuh, “Design and Control of Autonomous Underwater Robots: A Survey,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 7-24, 2000.
-  K. Watanabe and K. Izumi, “Skilful Control for Underactuated Robot Systems: From the Ground to the Air and Underwater,” Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Underwater System Technology: Theory and Applications 2008 (USYS ’08), pp. 4-5, 2008.
-  K.Watanabe, K. Izumi, K. Okamura, and R. Syam, “Discontinuous Underactuated Control for Lateral X4 Autonomous Underwater Vehicles,” Proc. of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Underwater System Technology: Theory and Applications 2008 (USYS ’08), Paper ID 14 (no pages), 2008.
-  Md. Z. Zain, K. Watanabe, K. Izumi, and I. Nagai, “A Discontinuous Exponential Stabilization Law for an Underactuated X4-AUV,” Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.17, No.3-4, pp. 463-469, 2013.
-  S. Ynag, J. Qiu, and X, Han, “Kinematics Modeling and Experiments of Pectoral Oscillation Propulsion Robotic Fish,” Journal of Bionic Engineering, Vol.6, pp. 174-179, 2009.
-  C. Zhou and K. H. Low, “Design and Locomotion Control of a Biomimetic Underwater Vehicle with Fin Propulsion,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 25-35, 2012.
-  K. Seo, S. J. Shung, and J. J. E. Slotine, “CPG-based Control of a Turtle-like Underwater Vehicle,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.28, No.3, pp. 247-269, 2010.
-  W. Chi and K. H. Low, “Review and Fin Structure Design for Robotic Manta Ray (RoMan IV),” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.4, pp. 620-628, 2012.
-  C. Wei-shen, W. Zhi-jun, L. Jun-kao, S. Sheng-jun, and Z. Yang, “Numerical Simulation of Batoid Locomotion,” J. of Hydrodynamics, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 594-600, 2011.
-  N. Kato, Y. Ando, A. Tomokazu, H. Suzuki, K. Suzumori, T. Kanda, and S. Endo, “Elastic Pectoral Fin Actuators for Biomimetic Underwater Vehicles,” Bio-mechanisms of Swimming and Flying, N. Kato and S. Kamimura (Eds.), Springer, New York, pp. 271-282, 2008.
-  A. Crespi, D. Lachat, and A. Pasquier, “Controlling Swimming and Crawling in a Fish Robot Using a Central Pattern Genetator,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.25, No.1-2, pp. 3-13, 2008.
-  T. Hu, L. Shen, L. Lin, and H. Xu, “Biological Inspirations, Kinematics Modeling, Mechanism Design and Experiments on an Undulating Robotic Fin Inspired by Gymnarchus Niloticus,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 633-645, 2009.
-  K. H. Low, “Modelling and Parametric Study of Modular Undulating Fin Rays for Fish Robots,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.44, No.3, pp. 615-632, 2009.
-  E. F. Frank, H. H. Hossein, J. S. Alexander, B. S. Hilary, and T. Iwaki, “Biomimetic Swimmer Inspired by the Manta Ray,” Biomimetics, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, United States, Chapter 17, pp. 495-523, 2011.
-  K. W. Moored, F. E. Fish, T. H. Kemp, and H. Bart-Smith, “Batoid Fishes: Inspiration for the Next Generation of Underwater Robots,” Marine Technology Society J., Vol.45, No.4, 2011.
-  A. J. Ijspeert, “Central Pattern Generators for Locomotion Control in Animals and Robots: A Review,” Neural Networks, Vol.21, pp. 642-653, 2008.
-  G. L. Liu, M. K. Habib, K. Watanabe, and K. Izumi, “The Design of Central Pattern Generators Based on Matsuoka Oscillator to Generate Human-like Rhythmic Motion for Biped Robots,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence, Vol.11, No.8, pp. 946-955, 2007.
-  G. L. Liu, M. K. Habib, K. Watanabe, and K. Izumi, “Central Pattern Generators Based on Matsuoka Oscillators for the Locomotion of Biped Robots,” Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.12, No.1-2, pp. 264-269, 2008.
-  K. Matsuoka, “Mechanisms of Frequency and Pattern Control in the Neural Rhythm Generators,” Biological Cybernetics, Vol.56, pp. 345-353, 1987.
-  J. Nakanishi, J. Morimoto, G. Endo, G. Cheng, S. Schaal, and M. Kawato,“Learning from Demonstration and Adaptation of Biped Locomotion,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.47, No.2-3, pp. 79-91, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.