Development of a Non-Exoskeletal Structure for a Robotic Suit
Hirohito Tanaka and Minoru Hashimoto
Shinshu University, 3-15-1 Tokida, Ueda, Nagano 386-8567, Japan
In recent years, various robots have been developed that can be worn on the body. These can be used to assist elderly people and people with disabilities by either providing extra power or helping themwith walking. These robots usually form an external skeleton around the frame of the body. Although the external skeletal structure has the advantage of supporting the robotic mechanism, an adjustment mechanism to match it to the contours of the wearer’s body is necessary, and this mechanism increases the weight of the robot. In this study, we propose a non-exoskeletal structure which uses the skeletal system of the human body, and we develop a lightweight robotic suit that gives little feeling of restriction.
-  T. Tokuda, “Next-generation robot industry,” the Chubu industry report, Vol.6, 2009.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Matsushita, Y. Ishida, and K. Kikuchi, “New Robot Technology Concept Applicable to Human Physical Support – The Concept and Possibility of theMuscle Suit (Wearable Muscular Support Apparatus) –,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.1, 2002.
-  S. Kawai, K. Naruse, H. Yokoi, and Y. Kakazu, “An Analysis of Human Motion for Control of a Wearable Power Assist System,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.3, 2004.
-  Y. Matsumoto, M. Seki, T. Ando, Y. Kobayashi, Y. Nakashima, H. Iijima, M. Nagaoka, and M. G. Fujie, “Development of an Exoskeleton to Support Eating Movements in Patients with Essential Tremor,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.6, 2013.
-  K. Hongo, Y. Nakanishi, M. Yoshida, I. Mizuuchi, and M. Inaba, “Development of BilateralWearable Device Kento for Control Robots Using Muscle-Actuator Modules,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.3, 2010.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of High Contractile Pneumatic Artificial Rubber Muscle for Power Assist Device,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.1, 2012.
-  T. Mitsuda, M. Wakabayashi, and S. Kawamura, “Development of Wearable Chair Using Pneumatic Passive Elements,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.3, 2004.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Wearable Master-Slave Training Device for Lower Limb Constructed with Pneumatic Rubber Artificial Muscles,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.3, 2008.
-  T. Noritsugu, D. Sasaki, M. Kameda, A. Fukunaga, and M. Takaiwa, “Wearable Power Assist Device for Standing Up Motion Using Pneumatic Rubber Artificial Muscles,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.6, 2007.
-  E. Yagi, D. Harada, and M. Kobayashi, “International Upper-Limb Power-Assist Control for Agriculture Load Lifting,” J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, 2009.
-  K. Oikawa, “Walking assistance suit,” the forum of a car and the robot which coexist with a person, pp. 7-11, 2008.
-  K. Yasuhara, K. Shimada, T. Koyama, T. Ido, K. Kikuchi, Y. Endo, “Walking Assist Device with Stride Management System,” Honda R&D Technical Review, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 54-62, Oct. 2009.
-  Y. Sankai, ““HAL,” Robot Suit,” Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, The 14th National Symp. on Power and Energy Symp. (SPES2009), No.09-17, 2009.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Aida, and T. Hashimoto, “Muscle Suit Development and Factory Application,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, 2009.
-  Y. Muramatsu, H. Kobayashi, Y. Sato, H. Jiaou, T. Hashimoto, and H. Kobayashi, “Quantitative Performance Analysis of Exoskeleton Augmenting Devices – Muscle Suit – for Manual Worker,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.4, 2011.
-  M. Ishii, K. Yamamoto, and K. Hyodo, “Stand-Alone Wearable Power Assist Suit Development and Availability,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.5, 2005.
-  H. Tanaka, S. Takeuchi, M. Tetsuya, and M. Hashimoto, “A flexible “Robotic Wear” using the skeletal system of the human body,” The 13th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf., pp. 2621-2624, 2012.
-  Z. Xia, “Synchronization-Based Control of a Robotic Suit for Walking Assist,” Shinshu University, Graduate School of Science and Technology, Doctoral dissertation, 2011.
-  K. Gotz-Neumann, “Ganganalyse in der Physiotherapie,” K. Tsukishiro, S. Yamamoto, Y. Ebara, S. Bonkohara (translation), Igaku-Shoin Ltd., 2006.
-  S. Yamamoto, “Biomechanics of the lower limbs harness,” Ishiyaku Publishers Inc., 1996.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.