Influence of the Anode Material and the Flushing Gas on the Dry Electrical Discharge Machining Process
Raoul Roth*, Beck Lukas*, Hartmi Balzer**,
Friedrich Kuster*, Eduardo Weingärtner***, Konrad Wegener*,***
*Intitute of Machine Tools and Manufacturing, ETH Zürich, CLA G4, Tannenstrasse 3, 8092 Zürich, Switzerland
**Balzer Technik AG, Route de l’industrie 65, 1564 Domdidier, Switzerland
***Inspire, Transfer Institute for Mechatronic Systems and Manufacturing Technology, Zürich, Switzerland
-  B. Schumacher, “After 60 years of EDM the discharge process remains still disputed,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.149, pp. 376-381, 2004.
-  M. Kunieda, Y. Miyoshi, T. Takaya, N. Nakajima, Y. ZhanBo, and M. Yoshida, “High speed 3D milling by dry EDM,” Cirp annals, manufacturing technology, Vol.52, Issue 1, pp. 147-150, 2003.
-  Z. B. Yu, T. Jun, and M. Kunieda, “Electrical discharge machining of cemented carbide,” J. of Materials Technology, Vol.149, pp. 353-357, 2004.
-  M. Kunieda and M. Yoshido, “Electrical discharge machining in gas,” Cirp annals, manufacturing technology, Vol.46, Issue 1, pp. 143-146, 1997.
-  M. Kunieda, S. Furuoya, and N. Taniguchi, “Improvement of EDM efficiency by supplying oxygen gas into gap,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.40, pp. 215-218, 1991.
-  M. Kunieda, T. Talaya, and S. Nakano, “Improvement of Dry EDM characteristics using piezoelectric actuator,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.53, pp. 183-186, 2004.
-  Q. H. Zhang, R. Du, J. H. Zhang, and Q. B. Zhang, “An investigation of ultrasonic-assisted electrical discharge machining in gas,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.46, pp. 1582-1588, 2006.
-  S. Joshi, P. Govindan, A. Malshe, and K. Rajurkar, “Experimental characterization of dry EDM performed in a pulsating magnetic field,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, Issue 1, pp. 239-242, 2011.
-  N. Abbas, D. Solomon, and Md. Bahari, “A review on current research trends in electrical discharge machining (EDM),” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.47, pp. 1214-1228, 2007.
-  R. Roth, F. Kuster, and K. Wegener, “Influence of Oxidizing Gas on the Stability of Dry Electrical Discharge Machining Process,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.6, pp. 339-344, 2013.
-  R. Roth, H. Balzer, F. Kuster, and K. Wegener, “Influence of the Anode Material on the Breakdown Behavior in Dry Electrical Discharge Machining,” Procidia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 639-644, 2012.
-  T. Ono, D. Y. Sim, and M. Esashi, “Micro discharge and elctric breakdown in a micro-gap,” J. micromech. microeng., Vol.10, pp. 445-451, 2000.
-  M. Klas, S. Matejcik, and B. Radjenovic, “Experimental and theoretical studies of the breakdown voltage characteristic at micrometre separetion in air,” a Letters J. Exploring the Frontiers of Physics, EPL 95, 2011.
-  S. Kanmani Subbu, G. Karthikeyan, J. Ramkumar, and S. Dhamodaran, “Plasma characterisation of dry µ-EDM,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. DOI 10.1007/s00170-011-3162-4, 2011.
-  A. Descoudres, “Characterisation of electrical discharge machining plasmas,” Thèse N° 3542, Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, 2006.
-  A. Heylen, A. Guile, and D. Morgan, “Electron field emission from copper with various thicknesses of oxide film,” IEE Proc., Vol.131, Pt. A. No.2, Mar. 1984.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.