Influence of the Anode Material and the Flushing Gas on the Dry Electrical Discharge Machining Process
Raoul Roth*, Beck Lukas*, Hartmi Balzer**,
Friedrich Kuster*, Eduardo Weingärtner***, Konrad Wegener*,***
*Intitute of Machine Tools and Manufacturing, ETH Zürich, CLA G4, Tannenstrasse 3, 8092 Zürich, Switzerland
**Balzer Technik AG, Route de l’industrie 65, 1564 Domdidier, Switzerland
***Inspire, Transfer Institute for Mechatronic Systems and Manufacturing Technology, Zürich, Switzerland
In the last years dry electrical discharge machining (DEDM) has been proposed as an alternative to the traditional EDM. The main reason for these efforts is the absence of a liquid dielectric which results in a simpler and environmentally friendly process. This paper presents measurements of the material removal rate in function of different tool electrodes, work piece materials and flushing gases put in relation with the breakdown behavior of the process. Evaluation of absolute and current specific material removal rate are presented. The data show a big influence on the material removal rate depending on the combination of work piece material and flushing gas. Two different effects are observed, the first enhancing the removal per spark and the second one reducing the short circuiting occurrence. The share of these two effects on the enhancing of the absolute material removal rate also differs in function of the work piece material. It is suggested that the chemical reaction strongly influences the process in two different ways, on one hand releasing a surplus of energy and on the other hand changing the debris particles’ properties.
-  B. Schumacher, “After 60 years of EDM the discharge process remains still disputed,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.149, pp. 376-381, 2004.
-  M. Kunieda, Y. Miyoshi, T. Takaya, N. Nakajima, Y. ZhanBo, and M. Yoshida, “High speed 3D milling by dry EDM,” Cirp annals, manufacturing technology, Vol.52, Issue 1, pp. 147-150, 2003.
-  Z. B. Yu, T. Jun, and M. Kunieda, “Electrical discharge machining of cemented carbide,” J. of Materials Technology, Vol.149, pp. 353-357, 2004.
-  M. Kunieda and M. Yoshido, “Electrical discharge machining in gas,” Cirp annals, manufacturing technology, Vol.46, Issue 1, pp. 143-146, 1997.
-  M. Kunieda, S. Furuoya, and N. Taniguchi, “Improvement of EDM efficiency by supplying oxygen gas into gap,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.40, pp. 215-218, 1991.
-  M. Kunieda, T. Talaya, and S. Nakano, “Improvement of Dry EDM characteristics using piezoelectric actuator,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.53, pp. 183-186, 2004.
-  Q. H. Zhang, R. Du, J. H. Zhang, and Q. B. Zhang, “An investigation of ultrasonic-assisted electrical discharge machining in gas,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.46, pp. 1582-1588, 2006.
-  S. Joshi, P. Govindan, A. Malshe, and K. Rajurkar, “Experimental characterization of dry EDM performed in a pulsating magnetic field,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, Issue 1, pp. 239-242, 2011.
-  N. Abbas, D. Solomon, and Md. Bahari, “A review on current research trends in electrical discharge machining (EDM),” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.47, pp. 1214-1228, 2007.
-  R. Roth, F. Kuster, and K. Wegener, “Influence of Oxidizing Gas on the Stability of Dry Electrical Discharge Machining Process,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.6, pp. 339-344, 2013.
-  R. Roth, H. Balzer, F. Kuster, and K. Wegener, “Influence of the Anode Material on the Breakdown Behavior in Dry Electrical Discharge Machining,” Procidia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 639-644, 2012.
-  T. Ono, D. Y. Sim, and M. Esashi, “Micro discharge and elctric breakdown in a micro-gap,” J. micromech. microeng., Vol.10, pp. 445-451, 2000.
-  M. Klas, S. Matejcik, and B. Radjenovic, “Experimental and theoretical studies of the breakdown voltage characteristic at micrometre separetion in air,” a Letters J. Exploring the Frontiers of Physics, EPL 95, 2011.
-  S. Kanmani Subbu, G. Karthikeyan, J. Ramkumar, and S. Dhamodaran, “Plasma characterisation of dry µ-EDM,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. DOI 10.1007/s00170-011-3162-4, 2011.
-  A. Descoudres, “Characterisation of electrical discharge machining plasmas,” Thèse N° 3542, Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, 2006.
-  A. Heylen, A. Guile, and D. Morgan, “Electron field emission from copper with various thicknesses of oxide film,” IEE Proc., Vol.131, Pt. A. No.2, Mar. 1984.