Influence of Gap Phenomenon on Various Kinds of Powder-Suspended EDM
Hideki Takezawa*, Tadashi Asano**, and Naotake Mohri***
*Department of Innovative Mechanical Engineering, Kogakuin University, 139 Inume-cho, Hachioji-shi, Tokyo 193-0802, Japan
**NEMY CORPORATION, 3-11-6 Ikejiri, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
***National Institution for Academic Degrees and University Evaluation, 1-29-1 Gakuen-nishimachi, Kodaira-shi, Tokyo, Japan
Powder-suspended Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) produces a mirror-like finish due to the electrical discharge dispersed using powder-suspended fluid. Machined surface roughness differed, however, when several powders are mixed, so the influence of the gap phenomenon was not apparent. To vary the gap phenomenon in powder-suspended EDM, the gap region is observed using a high-speed camera. This report describes observation results in powdersuspended EDM.
-  N. Mohri et al., “Assisting Electrode Method for Machining Insulating Ceramics,“ Annals of CIRP, Vol.45, No.1, p. 201, 1996.
-  N. Mohri et al., “Finishing on the Large Area of Work Surface by EDM,“ J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 124-128, 1987. (in Japanese)
-  D. Scott et al., “Effect of The Addition of Graphite Powder to Kerosene Used as The Dielectric Fluid in Electrical Discharge Machining,“ WEAR, Vol.70, p. 133, 1981.
-  Y. Uno et al., “Surface Modification by EDM with Nickel Powder Mixed Fluid,“ Int. J. of Electrical Machining, No.4, pp. 47-52, 1999.
-  K. Furutani et al., “Surface Modification by Electrical Discharge Machining with Titanium Powder Suspended in Working Fluid,“ Proc. of 14th Annual Meeting of American Society for Precision Engineering, No.20, pp. 159-162, 1999.
-  K. Yanatori et al., “Study on Debris movement in EDM Gap,“ J. of the Japan Society of Electrical Machining Engineers, Vol.29, No.61, pp. 19-27, 1995. (in Japanese)
-  Y. Uno et al., “Surface Generation Mechanism in Electrical DischargeMachining with Silicon PowderMixed Fluid,“ Int. J. of Electrical Machining, No.2, pp. 13-18, 1997.
-  H. Takezawa et al., “A Study on Single Discharge Machining with Low Melting Temperature Alloy,“ 15th Int. symp. for Electromachining (ISEM XV), pp. 69-74, 2007.
-  K. Yanatori et al., “Study on Debris movement in EDM Gap,“ J. of the Japan Society of Electrical Machining Engineers, Vol.29, No.61, 19, 1995. (in Japanese)
-  T. Suda and T. Sata, J. of the Japan Society of Electrical Machining Engineers, Vol.7, No.14, 19, 1974. (in Japanese)