A Basic Study on the Relations Between Machining Conditions and the Static and Dynamic Components of Forces in Drilling
Jie Xu, Keiji Yamada, Katsuhiko Seikiya,
Ryutaro Tanaka, and Yasuo Yamane
Graduate School of Engineering, Hiroshima University, 1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
This paper discusses a method of converting thrust and torque detected during drilling, which transforms thrust and torque into equivalent thrust force and principal force. The static and dynamic components defined according to this method are used to evaluate instability. The effects of different conditions on the static and dynamic components are investigated through experiments.
Ryutaro Tanaka, and Yasuo Yamane, “A Basic Study on the Relations Between Machining Conditions and the Static and Dynamic Components of Forces in Drilling,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.3, pp. 345-352, 2013.
-  E. Jantunen, “A summary of methods applied to tool condition monitoring in drilling,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.42, No.9, pp. 997-1010, Jul. 2002.
-  Y. Y. R. Tezuka, K. Sekiya, and K. Yamada, “The Relationship between Dynamic Components of Cutting Force and Adhesion of Tool-Chip Interface,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol.407-408, pp. 469-472, Sep. 2009.
-  J. Strenkowski, C. Hsieh, and A. Shih, “An analytical finite element technique for predicting thrust force and torque in drilling,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.44, No.12-13, pp. 1413-1421, Oct. 2004.
-  R. K. Heinemann and S. Hinduja, “Investigating the feasibility of DLC-coated twist drills in deep-hole drilling,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.44, No.9-10, pp. 862-869, Jan. 2009.
-  S. Pal, P. S. Heyns, B. H. Freyer, N. J. Theron, and S. K. Pal, “Tool wear monitoring and selection of optimum cutting conditions with progressive tool wear effect and input uncertainties,” J. of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 491-504, Sep. 2009.