A Low Contact Force Polishing System for Micro Molds that Utilizes 2-Dimensional Low Frequency Vibrations (2DLFV) with Piezoelectric Actuators (PZT) and a Mechanical Transformer Mechanism
Sze Keat Chee*1, Hirofumi Suzuki*2,*6, Junchi Uehara*3,
Takeshi Yano*1, Toshiro Higuchi*4, and Weimin Lin*5,*6
*1Mechano Transformer Corporation, 114 Kawasaki Business Incubation Center (KBIC), 7-7 Shin-kawasaki, Saiwai-ku, Kawasaki 212-0032, Kanagawa, Japan
*2Chubu University, 1200 Matsumoto, Kasugai, Aichi, 487-8501, Japan
*3Nagatsu Precision Mold Co.,Ltd., 57 Nakamaruko, Nakahara-Ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan
*4The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongou, Bukyou-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
*5Gumma University, 29-1 Hon-cho, Ota city, Gunma 376-0057, Japan
-  W. Chen, T. Kuriyagawa, H. Huang, and N. Yosihara, “Machining of micro aspherical mould inserts,” Precision Engineering, Vol.29, Issue 3, pp. 315-323, 2005.
-  H. Suzuki, S. Kodera, T. Nakasuji, T. Ohta, and K. Syoji, “Precision Grinding of Aspherical CVD-SiC Molding Die,” Int. J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.32, No.1, pp. 25-30, 1998.
-  J. S. Taylor, M. A. Piscotty, N. Q. Ngyuen, C. S. Landram, and L. C. Ng, “Efficient Polishing of Aspheric Optics,” Laboratory-Directed Research and Development Program FY96 Final Report (94-ERP-068), 1997.
-  H. Suzuki, A.Muramatsu, Y. Ymamoto, T. Okino, and T.Moriwaki, “Precision Molding ofMicro Aspherical Glass Lenses,” Proc. of 5th euspen Int. Conf., Montperllier, 1, 2, pp. 41-44, 2005.
-  R. Komanduri, D. A. Lucca, and Y. Tani, “Technological Advances in Fine Abrasive Process,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.46, No.2, pp. 545-596, 1997.
-  E. Brinksmeier, O. Riemer, A. Gessenharter, and L. Autschbach, “Polishing of Structured Molds,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 247-250, 2004.
-  H. Suzuki, T. Moriwaki, T. Okino, and Y. Ando, “Development of Ultrasonic Vibration Assisted Polishing Machine for Micro Aspheric Die and Mold,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.55, No.1, pp. 385-388, 2006.
-  H. Suzuki, S. Hamada, T. Okino, M. Kondo, Y. Yamagata, and T. Higuchi, “Ultraprecision finishing of micro-aspheric surface by ultrasonic two-axis vibration assisted polishing,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.59, No.1, pp. 347-350, 2010.
-  N. Umehara, S.Mizuguchi, K. Kato, and S. Nakamura, “Micro Surface Polishing of Borosilicate Glass with Magnetic Fluid Grinding,” J. of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol.122, pp. 432-436, 1993.
-  S. K. Chee, H. Suzuki, M. Okada, T. Yano, T. Higuchi, and W. L. Lin, “Precision Polishing of Micro Mold by using Piezoelectric Actuator Incorporated with Mechanical Amplitude Magnified Mechanism,” Advanced Materials Research, Vol.325, pp. 470-475, 2011.
-  Y. Mori, et al., “Evaluation of Elastic Emission Machined Surfaces by Scanning Tunneling Microscopy,” J. Vac. Sci. & Tech. A, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 621-624, 1990.
-  Y. Su, S. Wang, P. Chao, Y. Hwang, and J. Hsiau, “Investigation of elastic emission machining process: lubrication effects,” Precision Engineering, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 164-172, 1995.
-  P. C. Baker, “Advanced Flow-Polishing of Exotic Optical Materials,” X-Ray/EUV Optics for Astronomy and Microscopy, SPIE, Vol.1160, pp. 263-270, 1989.
-  J. M. Bennett, J. J. Shaffer, Y. Shibano, and Y. Namba, “Float Polishing of Optical Materials,” Applied Optics, Vol.26, Issue 4, pp. 696-703, 1987.
-  Y. Namba and H. Tsuwa, “Float polishing of MnZn ferrites and characteristics of finished surfaces,” Proc. of the Fourth Int. Conf. on Production Engineering, Japan Society for Precision Engineering and Int. Institution for Production Engineering Research, Tokyo, 1017-1022, 1980.
-  O. Weis, “Direct contact polishing of sapphire,” Applied Optics, Vol.31, No.22, 4355-4362, 1992.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.