Micro Hole Piercing for Ultra Fine Grained Steel
Takafumi Komatsu*, Hitoshi Kobayashi*, Shiro Torizuka**,
and Shin-ichi Nagayama***
*Komatsuseiki Kosakusho Co., Ltd., 942-2 Shiga, Suwa-city, Nagano 392-0012, Japan
**National Institute for Material Science, 1-2-1 Sengen, Tsukuba-city, Ibaraki 305-0047, Japan
***Tokushu Kinzoku Excel Co., Ltd., 56 Tamagawa, Tokigawa-machi, Hiki-gun, Saitama 355-0342, Japan
Ultra fine grained steels have been developed by many researchers. However, studies on the effects of different grain size on processes and product functions have been limited because the size of the bulk material has been small for these products. The authors have developed a production process for thin ultra fine grained stainless steel coil, and the effects have been clarified. This paper first reports the effects onmicro hole piercing by comparing materials with different grain sizes. Secondly, orifices are produced from these materials, and the liquid flow volume is measured as the functional effect of different grain sizes.
-  S. V. S. N. Murty, S. Torizuka, and K. Nagai, “Microstructural and Micro-textural Evolution during Single Pass High Z-large Strain Deformation of a 0.15C Steel,” ISIJ Int., 2005, Vol.45, pp. 1651-1657.
-  Y. Saito, H. Utsunomiya, N. Tsuji, and T. Sakai, “Novel ultra-high straining process for bulk materials development of the accumulative roll-bonding (ARB) process,” Acta Mater, Vol.47, pp. 579-583, 1999.
-  A. Belyakov, T. Sakai, and H. Miura, “Fine-Grained Structure Formation in Austenitic Stainless Steel under Multiple Deformation at 0.5Tm,” Material Trans JIM, Vol.41, No.4, pp. 476-484, 2000.
-  A. Ohmori, S. Torizuka, K. Nagai, N. Koseki, and Y. Kogo, “Evolution of Ultrafine-grained Ferrite Structure through Multi-pass Warm Caliber-rolling,” Tetsu-to-Hagane, Vol.89, pp. 781-788, 2003.
-  S. Nagayama, S. Torizuka, and T. Komatsu, “Test production for Ultra Fine Gain SUS 304 Stainless steel with Cold Rolling and Clad Rolling,” The Proc. of the 2008 Japanese spring conf. for the technology of plasticity, p. 341, 2008.
-  S. Nagayama, S. Terada, and N. Tsuji, “Trial manufacture of ultrafine grained 304 stainless steel strip by repetition of cold-rolling and reverse transformation 1,” CAMP-ISIJ, Vol.21, p. 1651, 2008.
-  A. Simoneau, E. Ng, and M. A. Elbestawi, “Chip formation during microscale cutting of a medium carbon steel,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.46, pp. 467-481, 2005.
-  W. B. Lee, C. F. Cheung, and S. To, “Materials induced vibration in ultra-precision machining,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vols.89-90, pp. 318-325, 1999.
-  W. B. Lee, “Prediction of microcutting force variation in ultra precision machining,” Precision Engineering, Vol.12, pp. 25-28, 1990.
-  W. B. Lee, C. F. Cheung, and S. To, “A Microplasticity Analysis of Micro-Cutting Force Variation in Ultra-Precision Diamond Turning,” Trans. of the ASME, J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.124, pp. 170-177, 2002.
-  Y. Furukawa and N. Moronuki, “Effect of material properties on Ultra Presice Cutting Processes,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.37, No.1, pp. 113-116, 1988.
-  T. Komatsu, T. T. Matsumura, and S. Torizuka, “Effect of Grain Size in Stainless steel on Cutting Performance in Micro-Scale Cutting,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 334-341, 2011.
-  H. Y. Gutkin, “Elastic and plastic deformation in nanocrystalline metals,” S. H. Whang (Ed.), Nanostructured metals and alloys, Woodhead Publishing, pp. 329-374, 2011.
-  I. A. Ovis’Ko, “Enhanced ductility and its mechanisms in nanocrystalline metallic materials,” S. H.Whang (Ed.), Nanostructured metals and alloys, Woodhead Publishing, pp. 430-458, 2011.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Komatsu, S. Torizuka, E. Muramatsu, and S. Nagayama, “Characteristics of shearing ultra fine grain steel (9th report),” The Proc. of the 60nd Japanese Joint Conf. for the Technology of Plasticity, pp. 325-326, 2009.
-  T. Shiratori, S. Nakano, and Y. Suzuki, “Notification of scrap stack with piercing pressure of small slant hole,” The Proc. of the 62nd Japanese Joint Conf. for the Technology of Plasticity, pp. 443-444, 2011.