Real-Time Cutting Force/Torque Prediction During Turning
Kazuto Enomoto, Masaya Takei, and Yasuhiro Kakinuma
School of Integrated Design Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Technology, Keio University, 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
The automation of machining processes requires highly accurate process monitoring. However, the use of additional sensors leads to a significant increase in the cost and reduces the stiffness and reliability of mechanical systems. Hence, we propose a system called the cutting force observer, which uses a sensor-less and real-time cutting force estimation methodology based on the disturbance observer theory. Monitoring methods using the cutting force observer may enhance the productivity during turning. One of the parameters that significantly affect the cutting process is the shear angle. The determination of the shear angle is very important as it can be used for identifying the machining conditions. In this study, an external sensor-less monitoring system of the shear angle during turning is developed, and its performance is evaluated.
-  T. Maeda, N. Matsunaga, T. Yamada, T. Asaoka, and S. Kawaji, “In-Process Control of Cutting Torque in Drilling Process,” J. of the JSME, Vol.61, No.587, pp. 2945-2952, 1995. (in Japanese)
-  Y. Altintas, “Prediction of Cutting Forces and Tool Breakage in Milling from Feed Drive Current Measurements,” J. of Engineering for Industry (Trans. of ASME), Vol.114, No.4, pp. 386-394, 1992.
-  K. Ohnishi, “Robust Motion Control by Disturbance Observer,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 218-225, 1996.
-  H. Shinno, H. Hashizume, and H. Yoshida, “Sensor-less Monitoring of Cutting Force during Ultraprecision Machining,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.52, No.1, pp. 303-306, 2003.
-  S. Ibaraki, T. Okuda, Y. Kakino, M. Nakagawa, and T. Matsushita, “Disturbance Estimation on a Hexapod-Type Parallel Kinematic Machine Tool by using a Disturbance Observer,” J. of the JSME, Vol.70, No.694, pp. 1764-1769, 2004. (in Japanese)
-  D. Kurihara, Y. Kakinuma, and S. Katsura, “Sensorless Cutting Force Monitoring Using Parallel Disturbance Observer,” IJAT, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 415-421, 2009.
-  A. Molinari and A. Moufki, “The Merchant’s Model of Orthogonal Cutting Revisited: A New Insight into the Modeling of Chip Formation,” IJMS, Vol.50, No.2, pp. 124-131, 2008.
-  M. E. Merchant, “Mechanics of the Metal Cutting Process, I: Orthogonal Cutting,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.16, No.5, pp. 267-275, 1945.
-  M. E. Merchant, “Mechanics of the Metal Cutting Process, II: Plasticity Conditions in Orthogonal Cutting,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.16, No.6, pp. 318-324, 1945.
-  V. Piispannen, “Theory of Formation of Metal Chips,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.19, No.10, pp. 876-881, 1948.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.