Three Dimensional Attitude Control of an Underactuated Satellite with Thrusters
Yasuhiro Yoshimura, Takashi Matsuno, and Shinji Hokamoto
Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Kyushu University, 744 Motooka, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka, Japan
This paper deals with the three-dimensional attitude control of an underactuated satellite equipped with thrusters whose force directions are fixed to the satellite. First, the necessary number of thrusters for the satellite’s attitude control is discussed utilizing the Minkowski-Farkas theorem. Then, using the wzparameters for a satellite’s attitude expression, this paper proposes a nonholonomic attitude controller which is effective for any satellite regardless of its moment of inertia. Numerical simulation demonstrates the effectiveness of the proposed controller. Furthermore, the efficiency of the controller for different thruster positions is also discussed.
-  M. J. Sidi, “Spacecraft Dynamics & Control: A Practical Engineering Approach,” Cambridge University Press, 1997.
-  P. E. Crouch, “Spacecraft attitude control and stabilization: application of geometric control theory to rigid body models,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. AC-29 (4), pp. 321-331, 1984.
-  H. Krishnan, M. Reyhanoglu, and H. McClamroch, “Attitude stabilization of a rigid spacecraft using two control torques: a nonlinear control approach based on the spacecraft attitude dynamics,” Automatica, Vol.30, No.6, pp. 1023-1027, 1994.
-  P. Tsiotras, M. Corless, and J. M. Longuski, “A novel approach to the attitude control of axisymmetric spacecraft,” Automatica, Vol.31, No.8, pp. 1099-1112. 1995.
-  P. Morin, C. Samson, J. B. Pomet, and Z. P. Jiang, “Time-varying feedback stabilization of the attitude of a rigid spacecraft with two controls,” Systems and Control Letters, Vol.25, pp. 375-385. 1995.
-  M. Aicardi, G. Cannata, and G. Casalino, “Attitude feedback control: unconstrained and nonholonomic constrained cases,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol.23, No.4, pp. 657-664. 2000.
-  R. W. Brockett, “Asymptotic stability and feedback stabilization,” In Differential Control theory pp. 181-191, 1983.
-  P. Morin and G. Samson, “Time-varying exponential stabilization of the attitude of a rigid spacecraft with two controls,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol.42, No.4, pp. 528-534, 1997.
-  P. Tsiotras and J. M. Longuski, “A new parameterization of the attitude kinematics,” The Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol.43, No.3, pp. 243-262, 1995.
-  P. Tsiotras and V. Doumtchenko, “Control of spacecraft subject to actuatotr failures state-of-the-art and open problems,” Journal of Astronautical Sciences. pp. 337-358. 2000.
-  C. G. Broyden, “A simple algebraic proof of Farkas’s lemma and related theorems,” Optimization Method and Software, Vol.8, Issue 3&4, pp. 185-199, 1998.