Feed Drive Simulator
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kobe Unibersity, 1-1 Rokko-dai, Nada, Kobe, Hyogo 657-8501, Japan
Feed drive systems consisting of servo motors and ball screws are generally used with NC machine tools, wire bonders, tip mounters, etc. Higher speed and accuracy are continuously required to the feed drive systems. In order to achieve higher performance of the systems, it is effective to analyze the dynamic behaviors using simulations. This study proposes a feed drive simulator consists of parameter identification and simulation modules. The parameter identification module consists of 3 sub-modules; identification system for friction forces, identification system for frequency response, and identification system for electric delay. The identification algorithms for unknown parameters are newly proposed. The simulation module is based on a mathematical model which consists of mass, inertias, stiffness, damping, frictions, servo gains, electrical delay, and control frequency. The simulation module also has a servo tuning function. The simulator, which includes a Graphical User Interface (GUI) was developed using Visual C++. Actual feed drive systems were used to confirm the effectiveness of the simulator. It was confirmed that the simulator identifies parameters systematically, simulates physical values for different motions, and automatically determines servo gains based on the parameters identified.
-  K. Erkorkmaz and Y. Altintas, “High Speed CNC System Design. Part II: Modeling and Identification of Feed Drives,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.41, pp. 1487-1509, 2001.
-  C. Okwudire, “Finite Element Modeling of Ballscrew Feed Drive Systems for Control Purposes,” Master Degree Thesis, the University of British Columbia, 2005.
-  C. H. Yeung, Y. Altintas, and K. Erkorkmaz, “Virtual CNC System. Part I. System Architecture,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.46, pp. 1107-1123, 2006.
-  Virtual CNC, Manufacturing Automation Laboratories Inc.
-  O. Zirn, “Machine Toolo Analysis - Modelling, Simulation and Control of Machine Tool Manipulators,” Habilitation Thesis, ETH Zurich, Institute of Machine Tools and Manufacturing, 2008.
-  R. Sato and M. Tsutsumi, “Development of a Mathematical Model of Feed Drive System for NC Machine Tools,” Int. J. of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 31-39, 2005.
-  R. Sato and M. Tsutsumi, “Modeling, and Controller Tuning Techniques for Feed Drive Systems,” Proc. of the ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Division, Part A, DSC-74-1, pp. 669-679, 2005.
-  H. Miyakawa, H. Hamamatsu, A. Yamamoto, and N. Kyura, “Mechatoronics System Dynamics Simulator,” YASKAWA Technical Review, Vol.63, No.2, pp. 74-79, 1999.
-  S. Kaneko, R. Sato and M. Tsutsumi, “Mathematical Model of Linear Motor Stage with Non-Linear Friction Characteristics,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 675-684, 2008.
-  T. Tanaka, T. Oiwa and J. Otsuka, “Control of Precision Positioning Device Using Linear Rolling GuideWay,” Proc. of the 4th Int. Conf. on Positioning Technology, pp. 215-216, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.