Optical Analysis of an Optical Probe for Three-Dimensional Position Detection of Micro-Objects
SungHo Jang, Takemi Asai, Yuki Shimizu,
and Wei Gao
Nano-Metrology and Control Laboratory, Department of Nanomechanics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki, Aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
In this paper, the relationship between the photodetector outputs and the three-dimensional (3D) positioning of a micro-object in an optical probe is first analyzed based on geometric optics. In the optical model established for the analysis, a collimated laser beam is focused by an objective lens to generate a small beam spot at the focal position and a thin and rectangular micro-object is set close to the focal position. The influence of diffraction of the laser beam is investigated based on a model based on wave optics.
and Wei Gao, “Optical Analysis of an Optical Probe for Three-Dimensional Position Detection of Micro-Objects,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.6, pp. 862-865, 2011.
-  R. Brehm, K. van Dun, J. C. G. Teunissen, and J. Haisma, “Transparent single-point turning of optical glasses,” Precision Engineering, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 207-213, 1979.
-  W. Gao, T. Asai, and Y. Arai, “Precision and fast measurement of 3D cutting edge profiles of single point diamond micro-tools, Annals of the CIRP,” Vol.58, No.1, pp. 451-454, 2009.
-  W. Gao, T. Motoki, and S. Kiyono, “Nanometer edge profile measurement of diamond cutting tools by atomic force microscope with optical alignment sensor,” Precision Engineering, Vol.30, No.4, pp. 396-405, 2006.
-  E. Hecht, “Optics (4th Ed.),” Addison Wesley, CA, USA, pp. 449-512, 2002.
-  J. I. García-Sucerquia, R. Castañeda, F. F. Medina, and G. Matteucci, “Distinguishing between Fraunhofer and Fresnel diffraction by the Young’s experiment,” Optics Communications, Vol.200, Issues 1-6, pp. 15-22, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.