Design of Motion Accuracy Measurement Device for NC Machine Tools with Three Displacement Sensors
Yukitoshi Ihara and Yuki Hiramatsu
Osaka Institute of Technology, 5-16-1 Omiya, Asahi-ku, Osaka 535-8585, Japan
To measure motion accuracy, including that of the rotary axis of five-axis machining center that have been widely introduced into production sites recently, a device with three displacement sensors combined to measure the center position of the master ball was invented and will be added to the International Standard. Such measurement devices are not difficult to produce in principle, but the commercially available products are expensive. This study discusses a threedimensional (3D) coordinate measurement device with multiple displacement sensors, discussing it in terms of the test standards of the machines to which the device has been applied and in relation to devices which have been studied, developed, and released. Our measurement device is then designed and produced, and its measurement accuracy is confirmed.
-  ISO/TR 13309, “Manipulating industrial robots – Informative guide on test equipment and metrology methods of operation for robot performance evaluation in accordance with ISO 9283,” 1995.
-  M. Tsutsumi, A. Saito, and M. Akamatsu, “Motion Measurement of CNC Machie Tools by Means of Two Linear Gauges,” J. of JSPE, Vol.67, No.12, pp. 2021-2025, 2001.
-  Y. Nakao, H. Goto, and C. Yamashita, “Motion Trajectory Measurement Method of Machining Center Using Parallel Mechanism (1st Report: Principle of Measurement Method and Measurement Experiments),” J. of JSME, Vol.68, No.676, pp. 3735-3741, December 2002.
-  J. C. Ziegert and C. D. Mize, “Laser ball-bar: A new instrument for machine tool metrology,” Precision Engineering, Vol.16, pp. 259-264, 1994.
-  N. Srinivasa, J. C. Ziegert, and C. D. Mize, “Spindle thermal drift measurement using the laser ball-bar,” Precision Engineering, Vol.18, pp. 118-127, 1996.
-  Y. Ihara and S. Matsushita, “A Study on Tool Position and Posture Measurement Device by Using Parallel Mechanism,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 271-276, 2009.
-  S.Weikert and W. Knapp, “R-test: A new device for accuracy measurements on five axis machine tools,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 429-432, 2004.
-  B. Bringmann and A. Küng, “A new Measuring Artefact for true 3D Machine Tool Testing and Calibration,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.54, No.1, pp. 471-474, 2005.
-  B. Bringmann and W. Knapp, “Model-based Chase-the-Ball Calibration of a 5-Axes Machining Center,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.55, No.1, pp. 531-534, 2006.
-  G. H. J. Florussen and H. A. M. Spaan, “Static R-test: allocating the centerline of rotary axes of machine tools,” Laser metrology and machine performance VIII, pp. 196-202, Bedford, 2007.
-  FIDIA HMS,
-  ISO/DIS 230-1, “Test code for machine tools – Part 1: Geometric accuracy of machines operating under no-load or quasi-static conditions,” 2010.
-  C. Cui, M. Tsutsumi, S. Ibaraki, Y. Ihara, S. Shimizu, and N. Mishima, “Compatibility of measuring instruments for simultaneous three-axis movement in five-axis machining centers,” Proc. of Spring meeting of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, pp. 1029-1030, 2010. (in Japanese)
-  K. Tajima, M. Dassanayake, C. Cui, and M. Tsutsumi, “Development of 3D-probe for measuring the rotational accuracy of tilting rotary tables,” Proc. of the 8th Manufacturing &Machine Tool Conf. of JSME, pp. 287-288, November 19-20, 2010. (in Japanese)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.