Development of an Interactive Assistance System for Machine Tool Structure Design Considering of Sliding Joint Damping
Zhangyong Yu, Keiichi Nakamoto, and Yoshimi Takeuchi
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamada-oka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
This paper deals with the development of an interactive design assistance system for machine tool structures. This system supports design engineers determining the suitable machine prototype in the conceptual and fundamental stages in a short time. In this study, all of the machine components are approximated by a set of beam elements to reduce the Degrees Of Freedom (DOF). Thus, it is easy to model and analyze the static stiffness and dynamic behaviors of the machine prototypes, especially in terms of sliding joint damping. By comparing their static stiffness and dynamic behaviors, design engineers can select the proper machine prototype in a short time. A case study shows the process, including the proposal, modeling, analysis, and selection, to determine the suitable machine prototype. This helps the design engineers to make the machine tool structural design efficiently.
-  M. Zaeh and D. Siedl, “A NewMethod for Simulation ofMachining Performance by Integrating Finite Element and Multi-body Simulation for Machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.56, No.1, pp. 383-386, 2007.
-  G. Bianchi, F. Paolucci, P. V. Braembusshe, H. V. Brussel, and F. Jovane, “Towards Virtual Engineering in Machine Tool Design,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.45, No.1, pp. 381-384, 1996.
-  Y. Altintas, C. Brecher, M. Weck, and S. Witt, “Virtual Machine Tool,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.52, No.2, pp. 115-138, 2005.
-  A. A. Kadir, X. Xu, E. Hämmerle, “Virtual machine tools and virtual machining – A technological review,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.27, pp. 494-508, 2011.
-  M. Zatarain, E. Lejardi, F. Egana, and R. Bueno, “Modular Synthesis of Machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.47, No.1, pp. 333- 336, 1998.
-  D. W. Lee, Z. Ma, and N. Kikuchi, “FOA (first-order analysis) model of a granule-filled tube for vehicle crash energy absorption,” Mechanics of Materials, Vol.41, pp. 684-690, 2009.
-  B. S. Homann and A. C. Thornto, “Precision Machine Design Assistance: A constraint-Based Tool for the Design and Evaluation of Precision Machine Tool Concepts,” Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, Vol.12, pp. 419-429, 1998.
-  Z. Yu, K. Nakamoto, T. Ishida, and Y. Takeuchi, “Study on an Interactive System for Conceptual and Basic Design of Machine Tool Structure,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 795-805, 2010.
-  Z. Yu, K. Nakamoto, T. Ishida, and Y. Takeuchi, “Interactive Design-Assistance System ofMachine Tool Structure in Conceptual and Fundamental Stage,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 303-311, 2010.
-  H. Shinno and Y. Ito, “Generating Method for Structural Configuration of Machine Tools (3rd report, Variant Design Using Directed Graph),” J. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.52, No.474, pp. 788-793, 1986 (in Japanese).
-  A. Kamalzadeh, D. J. Gordon, and K, Erkorkmaz, “Robust Compensation of Elastic Deformations in Ball Screw Drives,” Int. J. of Machine Tool & Manufacture, Vol.50, No.6, pp. 559-574, 2010.
-  M. F. Zaeh and T. Oertli, “Finite Element Modelling of Ball Screw Feed Drive Systems,” Annals of The CIRP, Vol.51, No.1, pp. 289-292, 2004.
-  M. Zatarain, E. Lejardi, and F. Egana, “Modular Synthesis of Machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.47, No.1, pp. 333-336, 1998.
-  H. Shinno, T. Koizumi, and T. Ito, “Analysis of Damped Vibration of a System with a Contact Surface (1st report, The Case of Micro-Slip),” J. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.49, No.448, pp. 2110-2115, 1981 (in Japanese).
-  H. Shinno, T. Koizumi, T. Ito, and H. Awano, “Analysis of Damped Vibration of a System with a Contact Surface (The Case of Residual Displacement),” J. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.52, No.479, pp. 1895-1900, 1986 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.