Instability Phenomenon in Dip-Coating Process for Self-Assembly of Fine Particles and Design Countermeasures
Manabu Nishio, Nobuyuki Moronuki, and Arata Kaneko
Tokyo Metropolitan University, 6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino, Tokyo 181-0065, Japan
The self-assembly of fine particles is a promising process for the production of nano-structures. In this process, aqueous suspension is often used. The spreading of the suspension on the substrate is a complex phenomenon that sometimes causes problems of instability. This paper discusses the instability phenomenon and proposes countermeasures from various aspects. It was found that special attention should be paid to the pattern design of site-selective assembly. Finally, complex structures made of particles of different sizes and materials are shown to demonstrate the improved stability after repeated dip-coating.
-  N. D. Denkov et al., “Two-dimensional crystallization,” Nature, Vol.361, p. 26, 1993.
-  A. Kaneko et al., “An application of dip-coating technique to fabrication of self-assembled microstructure on hydrophilic/hydrophobic patterned substrate,” Proc. of the 6th euspen, pp. 288-291, 2006.
-  Y.-H. Ye et al., “Self-assembly of colloidal spheres on patterned substrates,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.79, pp. 872-874, 2001.
-  A. M. Cazabat et al., “Fingering instability of thin spreading films driven by temperature gradients,” Nature, Vol.346, pp. 824-826, 1990.
-  Y. Kanamori et al., “Self-Assembly of Fine Particles on Patterned Wettability in Dip Coating and Its Scale Extension with Contact Printing,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, JSME, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 783-791, 2008.
-  M. Nishio et al., “Complex Assembly of Fine Particles by Repeated Dip-coating Process,” Proc. of the 3rd ASPEN, 2009.
-  Y. Masuda et al., “Arrangement of Nanosized Ceramic Particles on Self-Assembled Monolayers,” Japanese J. of Applied Physics, Vol.39, No.7B, pp. 4596-4600, 2000.
-  W-H. Zhang et al., “Fabrication of SnO2-ZnO nanocomposite sensor for selective sensing of trimethylamine and the freshness of fishes,” Sensors and Actuators B, Vol.134, pp. 403-408, 2008.
-  N. Moronuki et al., “Patterned self-assembly of fine particles by the combination of dispenser and positioning stage,” Proc. of the 10th euspen, pp. 73-76, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.