Ultra-Precision Machining of Tungsten-Based Alloys by Cutting and Burnishing
Naohiko Sugita*, Kazuhiko Nishioka*, and Mamoru Mitsuishi*
*School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
This paper proposes ultra-precision machining of tungsten alloy maximizing burnishing between the cutting tool and workpiece during cutting by combining strengths of the crystal grain and binder phase. Turning experiments conducted using workpieces of tungsten-based alloys 50 mm in diameter and 10 mm thick produced high-quality surface roughness Rz of 0.13 µm, achieved on a CNC lathe.
-  N. Suzuki, M. Haritani, J. Yang, R. Hino, and E. Shamoto, “Elliptical Vibration Cutting of Tungsten Alloy Molds for Optical Glass Parts,” Annals of the CIRP, 56/1, pp. 127-130, 2007.
-  K. Fujiki, J. Kaneko, and K. Horio, “High-Precision Mirror Finishing of Tungsten Mold Material,” Proc. of 2006 JSPE Spring Meeting, pp. 471-472, 2006.
-  F. Z. Fang and L. J. Chen, “Ultra-precision Cutting for ZKN7 Glass,” Annals of the CIRP, 49/1, pp. 17-20, 2000.
-  F. Z. Fang and V. C. Venkatesh, “Diamond Cutting of Silicon with Nanometric Finish,” Annals of the CIRP, 47/1, pp. 45-48, 1988.
-  N. H. Loh, S. C. Tam, and S. Miyazawa, “Statistical Analyses of the Effects of Ball Burnishing Parameters on Surface Hardness,” Wear, 129, p. 235, 1989.
-  A. H. Hassan and A. D. Sulieman, “Improvement in the Wear Resistance of Bras Components by the Ball Burnishing Process,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, 96, pp. 73-80, 1999.
-  Y. C. Yen, P. Sartkulvanich, and T. Altan, “Finite Element Modeling of Roller Burnishing Process,” Annals of the CIRP, 54/1, pp. 237-240, 2005.
-  K. Mori, S. Saito, and S. Maki, “Warm and Hot Punching of Ultra High Strength Steel Sheet,” Annals of the CIRP, 57/1, pp. 321-324, 2008.
-  Y. Yamane and K. Sekiya, “An Evaluation of Difficulty in Machining Difficult-to-Cut Materials by Using Difficult-to-Cut Rating,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, 70/3, pp. 407-411, 2004.
-  X. Liu, R. E. Devor, S. G. Kapoor, and K. F. Ehmann, “The Mechanics of Machining at the Microscale: Assessment of the Current State of the Science,” J. ofManufacturing Science and Engineering, 126/4, pp. 666-678, 2004.
-  R. Gero, R. E. Borukhin, and I. Pikus, “Some Structural Effects of Plastic Deformation on Tungsten Heavy Metal Alloys,” Materials Science & Engineering, 302/1, pp. 162-167, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.