Novel Artifacts Using Simple Geometries for Evaluation of a Gear Measuring Instrument
Sonko Osawa*, Osamu Sato*, Yohan Kondo*,
Masaharu Komori**, Fumi Takeoka**, and Toshiyuki Takatsuji*
*National Metrology Institute of Japan, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8563, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering and Science, Kyoto University, Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
Evaluating Gear Measuring Instrument (GMI) performance is difficult, even using a master gear, because manufacturing such a gear with the ideal involute form is difficult and accuracy cannot be guaranteed. To evaluate GMI performance, we propose artifacts using simple geometries such as planes, spheres, and cylinders whose form deviates little and that are easier to manufacture than a master gear. We estimated sphere, plane, and cylinder form deviation to be less than 50 nm. For profile evaluation, we developed a Double Ball Artifact (DBA) [1, 2] consisting of a base plate and two spheres. For helix evaluation, we developed a Wedge Artifact (WA) [3, 4] consisting of a plane and sphere. For pitch evaluation, we developed a MultiBall Artifact (MBA) [5, 6] consisting of a plane and multiple spheres. The GMI measures these instead of a gear, and we compared results to mathematical results, with the difference between measured and mathematical results showing GMI measurement capabilities. Evaluation uncertainty is a few hundred nanometers. We present the artifact concept and GMI measurement and evaluation results using these artifacts.
-  K. Kondo and H.Mizutani, “Measurement uncertainty of tooth profile by master balls,” VDI-Berichte 1665, pp. 797-810, 2002.
-  ISO/TR 10064-5 Cylindrical gear – Code of inspection practice – Part 5: Recomendations relative to evaluation of gear measuring instruments, Annex C.
-  M. Komori, F. Takeoka, A. Kubo, K. Okamoto, S. Osawa, O. Sato, and T. Takatsuji, “Evaluation method of lead measurement accuracy of gears using a wedge artifact,” Meas. Sci. Technol. Vol.20, No.2, 2009, 025109.
-  Y. Kondo, K. Kondo, S. Osawa, O. Sato, M. Komori, F. Takeoka, A. Kubo, K. Okamoto, and K. Sasajima, “Development of standard artifact for helix measurement of gear,” Proc. of Asian Symposium for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, 2009.
-  M. Komori, H. Li, F. Takeoka, S. Osawa, O. Sato, T. Kiten, D. Shirasaki, and Y. Kondo, “Design and Error Analysis of Multiball Artifact Composed of Simple Feasures to Evaluate Pitch Measurement Accuracy,” J. of Mechanical Design, Vol.131, No.4, 2009, 041006-1.
-  Y. Kondo, K. Sasajima, S. Osawa, O. Sato, and M. Komori, “Traceability strategy for gear-pitch-measuring instruments: development and calibration of a multiball artifact,” Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol.20, No.6, 2009, 065101.