Measurement of Long-Term Dimensional Stability of Glass Ceramics Using a High-Precision Line Scale Calibration System
Instruments Company, Nikon Corporation, 471 Nagaodai, Sakae, Yokohama, Kanagawa 244-8533, Japan
Length measurement was conducted for two years on glass ceramics, Zerodur® and Clearceram®, which have a low coefficient of thermal expansion, and on synthetic quartz. Commercially available glass ceramics were used for evaluating long-term stability, or secular change. Synthetic quartz ensured longterm length measurement stability. Two line scales of 300 mm length made of each material for a total of six line scales were simultaneously manufactured and measured to evaluate dimensional stability variation of the materials over time. Measurements were conducted with a line scale calibration systemdeveloped by Nikon. The calibration system is a onedimensional laser interferometer, featuring reduced Abbe’s errors, laser interferometer paths in a vacuum and real-time wavelength calibration of laser frequency using a 633 nm iodine-stabilized He-Ne laser. Long-term quartz stability was 4.3 nm and 5.4 nm (2σ). The yearly stability coefficients of the two glassceramic scales were -0.22 and -0.23 parts per million per year (ppm/yr) for Zerodur and -0.16 and -0.16 ppm/yr for Clearceram. No significant difference in stability between the two scales was observed for Zerodur or Clearceram.
-  F. Bayer-Helms, H. Darnedde, and G. Exner, “Längenstabilität bei Raumtemperatur von Proben der Glaskeramik Zerodur,” Metrologia, Vol.21, No.49, 1985 (in German).
-  R. Schödel and A. Abou-Zeid, “High accuracy measurements of long-term stability of material with PTB’s Precision Interferometer,” Proc. of SPIE Vol.7133, 71333J, 2008.
-  J. Flügge, R. Schödel, R. Köning, and H. Bosse “Long term stability of Suprasil line scales and gauge blocks,” Proc. of the 10th Int. Conf. of the European society for precision engineering and nanotechnology, Delft, Netherlands, 262V1, 2010.
-  A. Takahashi “Long-term dimensional stability and longitudinal uniformity of line scales made of glass ceramics,” Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol.21, 2010, 105301.
-  A. Takahashi and N. Miwa, “An experimental verification of the compensation of length change of line scales caused by ambient air pressure,” Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol.21, 2010, 045305.
-  J. Ishikawa, “Portable national length standards designed and constructed using commercially available parts,” Synthesiology – English edition, Vol.2, p. 246, 2010.
-  A. Takahashi, Y. Takigawa, and N. Miwa “Error contributor of defocus and quadratic caustic in line scale measurement,” Meas. Sci. Technol. Vol.22, 2011, 015302.
-  R. Köning, B. Przebierala, C. Weichert, J. Flügge, and H. Bosse “A revised treatment of the influence of the sample support on the measurement of line scales and the consequences for its use to disseminate the unit of length,” Metrologia, Vol.46, No.187, 2009.