Development of Micro Contact Detection Probe for Microhole Quality Control
Ichiro Ogura and Yuichi Okazaki
Advanced Manufacturing Research Institute (AMRI), National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), 1-2-1 Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8564, Japan
The contact detection probe we propose for measuring microhole profiles uses a simple 1 DOF and optical fibers arranged in a cross-profile. When two contact balls – one on the lower end of a vertical beam and the other on the upper end – contact a microhole wall, the vertical beam rotates with the horizontal support beam at the center. An optical sensor measures measurement ball displacement, detecting contact. The probe was first balanced on a groove created to hold the probe by gravity alone. In this method, low contact force measurement is easily achieved. Based on Experimental results showed, however, that probe output was not stable with drift, failing to achieve desirable repeatability, so we glued both ends of the horizontal beamto the base. Simple contactmeasurement yielded repeatability exceeding 50 nm and resolution of 20 nm. Contact ball diameter measurement was implemented and experiments conducted to evaluate ball diameter. Testing the probe frequency response showed that the probe can scan measurement within a low 10 Hz input frequency. Profile measurement experiments and microhole diameter measurement demonstrated the effectiveness of this probe as on-machine measurement device for microholes.
-  A. Weckenmann, T. Estler, G. Peggs, and D. McMurtry, “Probing Systems in Dimensional Metrology,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.53, Issue2, pp. 657-684, 2004.
-  T. Masuzawa, Y. Hamasaki, and T. Fujino, “Vibroscanning method for non-destructive measurement of small holes,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.42, Issue1, pp. 589-592, 1993.
-  T. Masuzawa, B. J. Kim, C. Bergaud, and M. Fujino, “Twin-probe vibro-scanning method for dimensional measurement of microholes,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.46, Issue1, pp. 437-440, 1997.
-  E. Lebrasseaur, T. Bourouina, J-B. Pourciel, M. Ozaki, T. Masuzawa, and H. Fujita, “Resonant-Type Micro-Probe for Vertical Profiler,” Technical Proc. of the 2000 Int. Conf. on Modelling and Simulation of Microsystems, San Diego, pp. 285-288, 2000.
-  H. Schwenke, F. Waeldele, C. Weiskirch, and H. Kunzmann, “Opto-Tactile Sensor for 2D and 3D Measurement of Small Structures on Coordinate Measuring Machines,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.50, Issue1, pp. 361-364, 2001.
-  H. Murakami, “Development of a Measuring System for Micro Hole Accuracy Using an Optical Fiber Probe – Evaluation of Measurement Repeatability,” Proc. of the 5th Int. Converence on LEM21, 703, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.