Integral Sliding Mode Control for Fast Tool Servo Diamond Turning of Micro-Structured Surfaces
De Ping Yu, Geok Soon Hong, and Yoke San Wong
Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 1 Engineering Drive 2, NUS, Singapore 117576, Singapore
Fast Tool Servo (FTS) diamond turning is a promising machining process for fabricating high precision micro-structured surfaces. However, the dynamics of FTS affects its performance and causes form error in the machined surfaces, thus shortening the useful bandwidth of the FTS for precision machining. In this paper, an Integral Sliding Mode Control (ISMC) algorithm is proposed to control the FTS in order to achieve the desired closed-loop dynamics. The robustness of the ISMC to disturbance and model uncertainties or variations is ensured by the implementation of disturbance estimation and an integral switching control action. The influence of the FTS dynamics can thereby be minimized by modifying the tool path offline with the inverse of the desired dynamics. Experiments on machining of typical micro-structured surfaces show that the proposed method is effective in reducing the FTS dynamics induced form error in the machined surface.
-  S. R. Patterson and E. B. Magrab, “Design and testing of a fast tool servo for diamond turning,” Precision Engineering, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 123-128, 1985.
-  T. A. Dow, M. H. Miller, and P. J. Falter, “Application of a fast tool servo for diamond turning of nonrotationally symmetric surfaces,” Precision Engineering, Vol.13, No.4, pp. 243-250, 1991.
-  M. Weck, S. Fischer, and M. Vos “Fabrication of microcomponents using ultraprecision machine tools,” Nanotechnology, Vol.8, No.3, p. 145, 1997.
-  W. Gao, T. Araki, S. Kiyono, Y. Okazaki, and M. Yamanaka, “Precision nano-fabrication and evaluation of a large area sinusoidal grid surface for a surface encoder,” Precision Engineering, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 289-298, 2003.
-  C. Brecher, S. Lange, M. Merz, F. Niehaus, C. Wenzel, M. Winterschladen, and M. Weck, “NURBS Based Ultra-Precision Free-Form Machining,” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Vol.55, No.1, pp. 547-550, 2006.
-  D. Trumper and X. D. Lu, “Fast Tool Servos: Advances in Precision, Acceleration, and Bandwidth,” Towards Synthesis of Micro-/Nano-systems, pp. 11-19, 2007.
-  D. P. Yu, S. W. Gan, Y. S. Wong, M. Rahman, and G. S. Hong, “An Optimization Approach for Tool Path Generation of Microstructured Surfaces in FTS-based Diamond Turning,” The 3rd Int. Conf. of Asian Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, Kitakyushu, Japan, 2009.
-  M. Tomizuka, “ZERO PHASE ERROR TRACKING ALGORITHMFOR DIGITAL CONTROL, ” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Trans. ASME, Vol.109, No.1, pp. 65-68, 1987.
-  T. C. Tsao and M. Tomizuka, “Robust adaptive and repetitive digital tracking control and application to a hydraulic servo for noncircular machining,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Trans. ASME, Vol.116, No.1, pp. 24-32, 1994.
-  P. Witoon, “Error compensation using inverse actuator dynamics,” North Carolina State University, 2004.
-  S. W. Gan, M. Rahman, and H. S. Lim, “Development of a fine tool servo with force monitoring system for nanomachining applications,” J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 1272-1277, 2009.
-  D. P. Yu, S. W. Gan, Y. S. Wong, M. Rahman, and G. S. Hong, “Design of a Fast tool servo based Diamond Turning Machine for Fabricating Micro-structured Surfaces,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol.443, pp. 669-674, 2010.
-  D. I. Landau and G. Zito, “Digital control systems: design, identification and implementation,” Springer-Verlag, London, 2006.
-  V. Utkin, “Variable structure systems with sliding modes,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 212-222, 1977.
-  Y. F. Li and J. Wikander, “Model reference discrete-time sliding mode control of linear motor precision servo systems,” Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.7, pp. 835-851, 2004.
-  A. Beghi, L. Nardo, and M. Stevanato, “Observer-based discretetime sliding mode throttle control for drive-by-wire operation of a racing motorcycle engine,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 767- 775, 2006.
-  X. C. Xi, G. S. Hong, and A. N. Poo, “Improving CNC contouring accuracy by integral sliding mode control,” Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.4, pp. 442-452, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.