Kinematic Analysis and Design of 3-RPSR Parallel Mechanism with Triple Revolute Joints on the Base
Yukio Takeda*, Xiao Xiao*, Kazuya Hirose**, Yoshiki Yoshida**,
and Ken Ichiryu**
*Department of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 O-okayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
**Monozukuri Mechatro Research Laboratory, Kikuchi Seisakusho Co., Ltd., 2161-12 Miyama-cho, Hachioji-shi, Tokyo 192-0152, Japan
The present paper proposes a new six-DOF parallel mechanism with three connecting chains. This mechanism can have a large angle of orientation of the output link. Joints in each connecting chain are arranged from the base in order of revolute, prismatic, spherical and revolute joints. All three revolute joints on the base are coaxial. With this structure, the output link can perform a full rotation around the vertical axis. The orientation capability of this mechanism is demonstrated. Equations for displacement analysis and the Jacobian matrix are derived. A design and prototype of this mechanism for a pipe-bender are shown.
and Ken Ichiryu, “Kinematic Analysis and Design of 3-RPSR Parallel Mechanism with Triple Revolute Joints on the Base,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.4, pp. 346-354, 2010.
-  Y. L. Chi, “Systems and methods employing a rotary track for machining and manufacturing,” WIPO patent, No. WO 99/38646, 1999.
-  http://mikrolar.com/rotopod.html
-  Y. Takeda, K. Kamiyama, Y. Maki, M. Higuchi, and K. Sugimoto, “Development of position-orientation decoupled spatial in-parallel actuated mechanisms with six degrees of freedom,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 59-68, 2005.
-  M. Tanabe, Y. Takeda, and S. Huda, “Utility workspace of 3-5R translational parallel mechanism,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 998-1010, 2008.
-  S. Huda and Y. Takeda, “Kinematic analysis and synthesis of a 3-URU pure rotational parallel mechanism with respect to singularity and workspace,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 81-92, 2007.
-  M. Higuchi, R. Ishii, and Y. Takeda, “Development of gripping mechanism with large gripping force for a draw pipe bender which fabricates complex 3-dimensional shape pipes,” Proc. of the 2009 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 2A2-A17, 2009.
-  J. Imoto, Y. Takeda, H. Saito, and K. Ichiryu, “Optimal kinematic calibration of robots based on maximum positioning-error estimation (Theory and application to a parallel-mechanism pipe bender),” Proc. of the 5th Int. Workshop on Computational Kinematics, pp. 133-140, 2009.
-  M. Tandirci, J. Angeles, and F. Ranjbaran, “Characteristic point and the characteristic length of robotic manipulators,” Proc. ASME DETC1992, DE, Vol.45, Robotics, Spatial Mechanisms, and Mechanical Systems, pp. 203-208, 1992.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.