Precision Mechanisms Based on Parallel Kinematics
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Shizuoka University, 3-5-1 Johoku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 432-8561, Japan
The parallel kinematic mechanism has been applied to simulators and robots for its high speed or multiple degrees of freedom. In recent years, however, it has begun to be used for precision mechanisms, such as machine tools, measuring machines, or fine-motion mechanisms. This review outlines the parallel kinematic mechanism and compares it with the conventional orthogonal coordinate mechanism to describe its nature and characteristics as a precision mechanism. It also introduces some cases in which the parallel kinematic mechanism is applied to fine motion mechanisms and three-dimensional coordinate measuring machines in addition to machine tools and robots. Finally, it discusses the problems and future of this parallel kinematic mechanism.
-  K. H. Hunt, “Structural Kinematics of In-Parallel-Actuated Robot-Arms,” Trans. ASME, J. Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design, December Vol.105, p. 705, 1983.
-  D. Stewart, “A Platform with Six Degrees of Freedom,” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs., 180, 1, 371, 1965-1966.
-  T. Oiwa and M. Tamaki, “A Study on Abbe’s Principle of Six Degree-of-freedom Parallel Mechanism (Effect on Joint Runout on Motion Error of Mechanism),” Trans. J. Soc. Mech. Eng., 69-678C, pp. 472-477, 2003.
-  S. T. Smith and D. G. Chetwynd, “Foundation of Ultra Precision Mechanism Design,” Gordon and breach science publishers, pp. 71, 1992.
-  T. Oiwa and K. Yamaguchi, “Coordinate Measuring Machine using Parallell Mechanism (3rd Report) –Abbe’s Principle–,” J. Japan. Soc. Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.9, pp. 1378-1382, 2000.
-  H. Ota, T. Shibukawa, and T. Tooyama, “Study of Kinematic Calibration Method for Parallel Mechanism (1st Report) –Kinematic Calibration Using Inverse Kinematics–,” J. Japan. Soc. Prec. Eng., 66-6, pp. 950-954, 2000.
-  P. Vischer and R. Clavel, “Kinematic Calibration of the Parallel Delta Robot,” Robotica, 16, pp. 207-218, 1998.
-  M. Uchiyama, K. Iimura, S. Tarao, F. Pierrot, and O. Toyama, “Development of a 6-DOF High-Speed Parallel Robot HEXA,” J. Robotics Society of Japan, 12-3, pp. 451-458, 1994.
-  K. M. Lee and S. Arjunan, “A Three-Degrees-of-Freedom Micromotion In-Parallel Actuated Manipulator,” IEEE Trans. Robotics and Automation, 7-5, pp. 634-641, 1991.
-  N. Henmi, K. Sato, S. Wada, and A. Shimokohbe, “A Six-Degree of Freedom Fine Motion Mechanism (2nd Report) –Control Characteristics–,” Japan. Soc. Prec. Eng., 58-6, pp. 1035-1040, 1992.
-  Y. Tomita, F. Sato, K. Ito, and Y. Koyanagawa, “Decoupling Method of Ultra Precision Stage Using Parallel Linkages Mechanism,” Japan Soc. Prec Eng., 57-6, pp. 1078-1084, 1991.
-  T. Oiwa and T. Ootawa, “Six Degree-of-Freedom Fine Motion Mechanism using Parallel Mechanism (2nd Report) –Performance Test–,” J. Japan. Soc. Precision Engineering, Vol.66, 2, pp. 277-281, 2000.
-  K. Funutani, K. Shibatani, N. Itoh, and N. Mohri, “A Parallel Link and Effector for Scanning Electrical DischargeMachining Process,” Precision Engineering, 22, pp. 131-140, 1998.
-  J. W. Ryu, D. G. Gweon, and K. S. Moon, “Optimal Design of a Flexure Hinge Based XYθ Wafer Stage,” Precision Engineering, 21-1, pp. 18-28, 1997.
-  http://www.hephaist.co.jp/e/
-  http://www.physikinstrumente.com/
-  T. Tanikawa and T. Arai, “Design of Two-Fingered Micro Hand and Its Application to Micro Manipulation,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 284-289, 1997.
-  B. Jokiel Jr. et al., “Development of a Parallel Architecture Five-Axis Coordinate Measuring Machine,” Proc. ASPE, 14, 313, 1995.
-  B. Jokiel Jr. et al., “Modeling and Simulation of a Parallel Architecture, Five-axis Coordinate Measuring Machine,” Proc. ASPE, 14, 233, 1996.
-  T. Oiwa, “New Coordinate Measuring Machine Featuring a Paralle Mechanism,” Int. J. Japan. Soc. Prec. Eng., 31, 3, p. 232, 1997.
-  T. Oiwa and S. Baba, “Coordinate Measuring Machine Using Parallel Mechanism (4th Report) –Development of Trial Measuring Machine–,” J. Japan. Soc. Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.11, pp. 1711-1715, 2000.
-  T. Oiwa, “Error Compensation System for Joints, Links and Mechine Frame of Parallel Kinematic Machine,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.24, No.12, pp. 1087-1102, 2005.
-  http://www.renishaw.com/en/
-  J. B. Bryan and L. D. Carter, “Design of a New Error-Corrected Co-Ordinate Measuring Machine,” Precision Engineering, 3(3), pp. 125-128.
-  J. P. Merlet, “Parallel Robots (Second Edition),” Springer, p. 289, 2006.
-  H. Zhuang, “Self-Calibration of Parallel Mechanisms with a Case Study on Stewart Platforms,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, 13, 3, p. 387, 1997.
-  C. W. Wampler, J. M. Hollerback, and T. Arai, “An Inplicit Loop Method for Kinematic Calibration and Its Application to Closed-Chain Mechanisms,” IEEE Trans. Robotics and Automation, 11, 5, pp. 710-714, 1995.
-  H. Zhuang, L. Liu, and O. Masory, “Autonomous Calibration of Hexapod Machine Tool,” Trans. ASME J. Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 122-1, pp. 140-148, 2000.
-  Y. Koseki, T. Arai, and K. Sugimoto, “Accuracy Evaluation of Parallel Mechanism Using Laser Tracking Coordinate Measuring System,” Trans. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, 34-7, pp. 726-733, 1998.
-  H. Ota, T. Shibukawa, T. Tooyama, and M. Uchiyama, “Study of Kinematic Calibration Method for Parallel Mechanism (2nd Report)-Kinematic Calibration Using Forward Kinematics-,” J. Japan. Soc. Precision Engineering, 66-10, pp. 1568-1572, 2000.
-  Y. Takeda, G. Shen, and H. Funabashi, “A DBB-Based Kinematic Calibration Method for In-Parallel Actuated Mechanisms Using a Fourier Series,” ASME J. Mech. Design, 126, pp. 856-865, 2004.
-  T. Oiwa and Y. Kataoka, “A Calibration Method for Coordinate Measuring Machineusing Parallel Mechanism –Calibration with Double Ball Bar and Touch Trigger Probe–,” J. Japan. Soc. Precision Engineering, No.69, No.2, pp. 222-226, 2003.
-  S. Ibaraki, T. Yokawa, Y. Kakino, M. Nakagawa, and T. Matsushita, “A Study on the Improvement of Motion Accuracy of Hexapod-type parallel Mechanism Machine Tools (2nd Report) –A Calibration Method to Evatuate Positioning Errors on the Global Coordinate System–,” J. Japan. Soc. Precision Engineering, 70-4, pp. 557-561, 2004.
-  T. Oiwa, M. Kyogoku, and K. Yamaguchi, “Coordinate Measuring Machine Using Parallel Mechanism (5th Report) –Kinematic Calibration with Three-Dimensional Ball Plate–,” J. Japan. Soc. Precision Engineering, Vol.68, No.1, pp. 65-69, 2002.
-  Y. J. Chiu and M. H. Perng, “Self-Calibration of General Hexapod Manipulator Using Cylinder Constrants,” Int. J. Machine tools and manufacture, 43, pp. 1051-1066, 2003.
-  T. Oiwa and K. Shutoh, “A Calibration Method for Coordinate Measuring Machine using Parallel Mechanism –Calibration with Redundant Passive Prismatic Joint–,” J. Japan. Soc. Precision Engineering, Vol.71, No.4, pp. 512-516, 2005.
-  Y. Kakino, “Expectation of Machines using Parallel Mechanism,” J. Japan. Soc. Precision Engineering, Vol.63, No.12, pp. 1643-1645, 1997.
-  T. Oiwa, “Ultra-Precise Machine System Using Hexapod-type Measurement Device for Six-Degree-of-Freedom Relative Motions Between Tool and Workpiece,” Proc. 5th Chemnitz Parallel Kinematics Seminar, pp. 733-746, 2006.
-  T. Oiwa, “An Ultraprecise Machining System with a Hexapod Device to Measure Six-Degree-of-Freedom Relative Motions Between The Tool And Workpiece,” Int. J. of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.8 No.2, pp. 3-8, Apr 2007.