High-Speed Milling Using a Developed Desktop Machine Tool
Hideharu Kato*, Kazuhiro Shintani*, and Kazuo Iwata**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kanazawa Institute of Technology, 7-1 Ohgigaoka, Nonoichi, Ishikawa 921-8501, Japan
**OSG Corporation, 1-15 Honnogahara Toyokawa, Aichi 442-8544, Japan
The demand for compact products has raised the need for high-speed machining. In this study, we have designed and produced a desktop machine tool and investigated its high-speed machining performance using a small end mill. The size of the developed machine tool is 300×400×340mm, and the weight is 50 kg. This machine could reach a cutting speed of 25.0 m/s using a 1.7 mm diameter tool. High-speed milling with this machine produced a surface roughness of 0.6 µmRz without tearing. In addition, deformed layers produced at cutting speed of 25.0 m/s was thinner than that at cutting speed of 2.5 m/s. It was confirmed that the thickness of deformed layers at 25.0 m/s was 0.6 µm.
-  Y. Kakino, Y. Ihara, H. Moriguchi et al., “High-speed Machining Technologies for Agile Manufacturing,” IMS, p. 89, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  M. Ideta, M. Fukushige et al., Toyota Tech. Rev., Vol.45, No.1, p. 92, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  M. James, Miniaturization., Tech. Pap. Soc. Manuf. Eng., p. 1, 1999.
-  A. Redford, “Small Parts Feeding,” Assem. Autom., Vol.11, No.4, p. 8, 1991.
-  N. Asada, G. Kurihara, N. Morita et al., “Development of Numerical Controlled Micro Milling Machine (Micro Cube),” J. of JSAT, Vol.47, No.7, p. 373, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  N. Mishima, “Characteristics of Materials for Machine Tool Structure (1st report),” Purpose of the Study and Damping Characteristics, Report of Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, Vol.49, No.5, p. 192, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  ISO 10791-2, “Test conditions for machining centers – Part 2: Geometric tests for machines with vertical spindle or universal heads with vertical primary rotary axis (vertical Z-axis),” 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.