Optical Mold Cleaning Using Carbon Dioxide
Jian-Shian Lin*,**, Chieh-Lung Lai*, Hsiu-Jen Lin*,
Ya-Chun Tu*, and Yoshimi Takeuchi**
*Mechanical and System Research Laboratories, Industrial Technology Research Institute, 195 Chung Hsing Rd., Sec.4 Chu Tung, HsinChu, Taiwan 310, R.O.C.
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Osaka University, Yamadaoka 2-1, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
An optical mold cleaning technique comprised of supercritical CO2 fluids and a CO2 snow particle cleaning process is proposed in this paper. Our results indicate that using supercritical CO2 fluids with cosolvents significantly improves cleaning effectiveness. There is a high degree of cleaning efficiency even when supercritical CO2 fluids are used alone, without any cosolvents. We have also determined that two key factors in controlling the effectiveness of the CO2 snow cleaning process are the density and pressure of the CO2 propellant. Since CO2 cleaning generates much less pollution than current methods, it will be an important cleaning technique in the future.
Ya-Chun Tu, and Yoshimi Takeuchi, “Optical Mold Cleaning Using Carbon Dioxide,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.1, pp. 39-44, 2010.
-  V. Camel, A. Tambute, and M. Caude, “Analytical-Scale Supercritical Fluid Extraction: a Promising Technique for the Determination of Pollutants in Environmental Matrices,” J. Chromatography, Vol.642, pp. 263-281, 1993.
-  J. M. David et al., “Supercritical Fluid Cleaning Process for Precision Surfaces,” United States Patent 6, 602, 349, 2003.
-  M. A. McHugh and V. J. Krukonis, “Supercritical Fluid Extraction Principles and Practice,” Butterworth publisher, 1986.
-  E. Bok, D. Kelch, K. S. Schumacher, “Supercritical Fluids for Single Wafer Cleaning,” Solid State Technology, Vol.35, pp. 117-120, 1992.
-  J. B. Rubin, L. B. Davenhall, C. M. Taylor, L. D. Sivils, and T. Pierce, “CO2-Based Supercritical Fluids as Replacements for Photoresist-Stripping Solvents,” Los Alamos Nation Lab, 1998.
-  K. C. Zancan, M. O. Marques, A. J. Petenate, and M. A. Meireles, “Extraction of Ginger Oleoresin with Carbon Dioxide and Co-Solvents : A Study of the Antioxidant Action of the Extracts,” Journal of Supercritical Fluids, Vol.24, pp. 57-76, 2002.
-  M. C. Lin, M. J. Tsia, and K. C. Wen, “Supercritical Fluid Extractionof Flavonoids from Scutellariane Radix,” Journal of Chromatography A, Vol.830, pp. 387-395, 1999.
-  A. R. Berens, G. S. Huvard, R. W. Korsmeyer, F. W. Kkunig, “Application of Compressed Carbon Dioxide in the Incorporation ofAdditives into Polymers,” J. App. Polymer Sci. Vol.46, pp. 231-242,1992.
-  R. Z. Richard, “CO2 Snow Cleaning of Optics: Curing the Contamination Problem,” The International Society for Optical Engineering, Vol.4096, pp. 82-100, 2000.
-  S. Robert and A. Paul, “Carbon Dioxide Snow Cleaning — The Next Generation of Clean,” Precision Cleaning ’95 Proceedings, pp. 271-300, 1996.
-  S. Robert, “Carbon Dioxide Snow Cleaning,” Particles on Surfaces and Adhesion and Removal, pp. 221-237, 1999.