Kinesthetic Assistance for Improving Task Performance -The Case of Window Installation Assist-
Naoyuki Takesue*, Hideyuki Murayama**, Kousyun Fujiwara**, Kuniyasu Matsumoto**, Hitoshi Konosu**, and Hideo Fujimoto***
*Faculty of System Design, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino-shi, Tokyo 191-0065, Japan
**Toyota Motor Corporation, Toyota, Aichi 470-0309, Japan
***Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Gokiso-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 466-8555, Japan
Industrial robots have been widely used in factory automation. On the other hand, in the final assembly in automobile factories, many tasks are still completed by humans due to the difficulties and costs associated with automation. One example still requiring skilled human operators is the installation of the automobile window. The window installation assist robot we developed enables a single operator to install a window easily. The present study focuses on kinesthetic assistance including preliminary experiments and application to automobile window installation during car assembly demonstrating the effectiveness of our proposal.
-  H. Kazerooni, “Human robot interaction via the transfer of power and information signals,” IEEE Trans. on SMC, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 450-463, 1990.
-  K. Kosuge, Y. Fujisawa, and T. Fukuda, “Control of Mechanical System with Man-Machine Interaction,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, vol.1, pp. 87-92, 1992.
-  O. M. Al-Jarrah and Y. F. Zheng, “Arm-Manipulator Coordination for Load Sharing Using Variable Compliance Control,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 895-900, 1997.
-  R. Ikeura, A. Morita, and K. Mizutani, “Variable damping characteristics in carrying an object by two humans,” Proc. of 6th IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Communication, pp. 130-134, 1997.
-  M. M. Rahman, R. Ikeura, and K. Mizutani, “Investigating the Impedance Characteristics of Human Arm for Development of Robots to Cooperate with Human Operators,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Tokyo, II, pp. 676-681, 1999.
-  Y. Yamada, H. Konosu, T. Morizono, and Y. Umetani, “Proposal of Skill-Assist: A System of Assisting Human Workers by Reflecting Their Skills in Positioning Tasks,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Tokyo, IV, pp. 11-16, 1999.
-  N. Takesue, R. Kikuuwe, A. Sano, H. Mochiyama, H. Sawada, and H. Fujimoto, “Force-Dependent Variable Damping Control for Positioning Task Assist,” Journal of The Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 134-141, 2007. (in Japanese)
-  M. A. Peshkin, J. E. Colgate, W. Wannasuphoprasit, C. Moore, and B. Gillespie, ”Cobot architecture,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 377-390, 2001.
-  T. Takubo, H. Arai, Y. Hayashibara, and K. Tanie, “Human-Robot Cooperative Manipulation Using a Virtual Nonholonomic Constraint,” International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 541-553, 2002.
-  Y. Hirata, Y. Kume, Z. D. Wang, and K. Kosuge, “Decentralized Control of Multiple Mobile Manipulators Based on Virtual 3-D Caster Motion for Handling an Object in Cooperation with a Human,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 938-943, 2003.
-  A. Bettini, P. Marayong, S. Lang, A. M. Okamura, and G. D. Hager, “Vision-Assisted Control for Manipulation Using Virtual Fixtures,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.20, No.6, pp. 953-966, 2004.
-  N. Takesue, R. Kikuuwe, A. Sano, H. Mochiyama, and H. Fujimoto, “Tracking Assist System Using Virtual Friction Field,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, pp. 2134-2139, 2005.
-  R. Kikuuwe, N. Takesue, and H. Fujimoto, “A Control Framework to Generate Nonenergy-Storing Virtual Fixtures: Use of Simulated Plasticity,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.24, No.4, pp. 781-793, 2008.
-  H. Nakamura and T. Honda, “Power assist system for a industrial use,” Journal of Soc. Inst. Contr. Eng., Vol.45, No.5, pp. 445-448, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  S. Hara, “Positioning of a cart by means of a smooth switching function from servo access control to impedance control,” Proc. 2004 IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics, pp. 588-594, 2004.
-  N. Hogan, “Impedance Control Part 1-Part 3, Trans. of ASME,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol.107, pp. 1-24, 1985.
-  K. Kosuge, K. Furuta, and T. Yokoyama, “Mechanical Impedance Control of a Robot Arm by Virtual Internal Model Following Controller,” Proceedings of IFAC 10th World Congress on Autonomous Control, Vol.4, pp. 250-255, 1987.
-  R. Kikuuwe, N. Takesue, A. Sano, H. Mochiyama, and H. Fujimoto, “Admittance and Impedance Representations of Friction Based on Implicit Euler Integration,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 1176-1188, 2006.
-  N. Takesue, H. Murayama, and H. Fujimoto, “Force-Direction-Depended Variable Fluctuation-Reduction Asisst,” Proc. The 26th Annual Conf. of The Robotics Society of Japan (RSJ2008), 3C3-04, 2008 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.