Design of an Automated Container-Handling System in a Seaport Terminal Considering Operating Machine Performance
Satoshi Hoshino*, Jun Ota**, Akiko Shinozaki***,
and Hideki Hashimoto***
*Chemical Resources Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 226-8503, Japan
**School of Engineering, Department of Precision Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
***Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., 3000 Tana, Sagamihara-shi, Kanagawa 229-1193, Japan
To provide a highly efficient and automated container-handling system in a seaport terminal, it is necessary to take into account the performance of operating machines, such as quay container cranes, automated guided vehicles, and rubber-tired gantry cranes, in addition to their fleet sizes. In this paper, we introduce these parameters as design objectives. However, this is a serious combinatorial design problem that consists of the objectives presented above. Moreover, it is not always true that a terminal system, in which larger numbers of machines are used with upgraded operation performance, obtains higher throughput. It thus becomes a challenge to identify a design parameter with an impact on the system throughput and to find the most reasonable combination of design parameters. In this issue, we apply a design strategy to this challenge and then modify a previously proposed hybrid design methodology. As a case study for the system design, we determine the combinatorial design solutions to meet given demands. Finally, we show the effectiveness of the system design in consideration of the machine performance.
and Hideki Hashimoto, “Design of an Automated Container-Handling System in a Seaport Terminal Considering Operating Machine Performance,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.5, pp. 610-619, 2009.
-  S. Hoshino, J. Ota, A. Shinozaki, and H. Hashimoto, “Hybrid Design Methodology and Cost-effectiveness Evaluation of AGV Transportation Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 360-372, 2007.
-  S. Hoshino, J. Ota, A. Shinozaki, and H. Hashimoto, , “Comparison of an AGV Transportation System by Using the Queuing Network Theory,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3785-3790, 2004.
-  S. Hoshino, J. Ota, A. Shinozaki, and H. Hashimoto, “Optimal Design, Evaluation, and Analysis of AGV Transportation Systems Based on Various Transportation Demands,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1412-1418, 2005.
-  C.-I. Liu, H. Jula, K. Vukadinovic, and P. A. Ioannou, “Automated Guided Vehicle System for Two Container Yard Layouts,” Transportation Research - Part C, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 349-368, 2004.
-  C.-I. Liu, H. Jula, and P. A. Ioannou, “Design, Simulation, and Evaluation of Automated Container Terminals,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 12-26, 2002.
-  S. Hoshino, J. Ota, A. Shinozaki, and H. Hashimoto, “Highly Efficient AGV Transportation System Management Using Agent Cooperation and Container Storage Planning,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2330-2335, 2005.
-  S. Hoshino, J. Ota, A. Shinozaki, and H. Hashimoto, “Design of an AGV Transportation System by Considering Management Model in an ACT,” The 9th Int. Conf. on Intelligent Autonomous Systems, pp. 505-514, 2006.
-  K. H. Kim and J. W. Bae, “A Look-Ahead Dispatching Method for Automated Guided Vehicles in Automated Port Container Terminals,” Transportation Science, Vol.38, No.2, pp. 224-234, 2004.
-  M. Grunow, H.-O. Günther, and M. Lehmann, “Dispatching Multi-load AGVs in Highly Automated Seaport Container Terminals,” OR Spectrum, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 211-235, 2004.
-  J. J. M. Evers and S. A. J. Koppers, “Automated Guided Vehicle Traffic Control at a Container Terminal,” Transportation Research - Part A, Vol.30, No.1, pp. 21-34, 1996.
-  S. Hoshino, J. Ota, A. Shinozaki, and H. Hashimoto, “Improved Design Methodology for an Existing Automated Transportation System with Automated Guided Vehicles in a Seaport Container Terminal,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 371-394, 2007.
-  E. L. Fisher, J. B. Farber, and M. G. Kay, “Mathes: An Expert System for Material Handling Equipment Selection,” Engineering Costs and Production Economics, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 297-310, 1988.
-  D. Steenken, S. Voss, and R. Stahlbock, “Container Terminal Operation and Operations Research - A Classification and Literature Review,” OR Spectrum, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 3-49, 2004.
-  H.-O. Günther and K. H. Kim, “Container Terminals and Automated Transport Systems,” Springer-Verlag, 2005.
-  I. F. A. Vis and I. Harika, “Comparison of Vehicle Types at an Automated Container Terminal,” OR Spectrum, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 117-143, 2004.
-  C. H. Yang, Y. S. Choi, and T. Y. Ha, “Simulation-based Performance Evaluation of Transport Vehicles at Automated Container Terminals,” OR Spectrum, Vol.26, No.2, pp. 149-170, 2004.
-  S. Hoshino and J. Ota, “Integrated Design Methodology for an Automated Transportation System in a Seaport Terminal,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 858-863, 2007.
-  Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., “Advanced Technology Cargo Handling Systems,” Products Guide, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.