Manufacturing of Artificial Bones Using 3D Inkjet Printing Technology
Ung-il Chung/Yuichi Tei
Department of Bioengineering, The University of Tokyo Graduate Schools of Engineering and Medicine & Division of Tissue Engineering, The University of Tokyo Hospital, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
-  R. P. Lanza, R. Langer, and J. Vacanti (Eds.), “Principles of Tissue Engineering,” Academic Press, San Diego, 2000.
-  L. Moroni, J. R. de Wijn, and C. A. van Blitterswijk, “Integrating novel technologies to fabricate smart scaffolds,” J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 19(5), 543-72, 2008.
-  S. W. Herring and P. Ochareon, “Bone-special problems of the craniofacial region,” Orthod Craniofac Res 8, 174-82, 2005.
-  P. Tessier, H. Kawamoto, D. Matthews, J. Posnick, Y. Raulo, J. F. Tulasne, and S. A. Wolfe, “Autogenous bone grafts and bone substitutes - tools and techniques: I. A 20,000-case experience in maxillofacial and craniofacial surgery,” Plast Reconstr Surg 116, 6S-24S, 2005.
-  B. L. Eppley, W. S. Pietrzak, and M. W. Blanton, “Allograft and alloplastic bone substitutes: a review of science and technology for the craniomaxillofacial surgeon,” J. Craniofac. Surg., 16, 981-9, 2005.
-  M. Hallman and A. Thor, “Bone substitutes and growth factors as an alternative/complement to autogenous bone for grafting in implant dentistry,” Periodontol 47, 172-92, 2008.
-  M. Hatoko, H. Tada, A. Tanaka, S. Yurugi, K. Niitsuma, and H. Iioka, “The use of calcium phosphate cement paste for the correction of the depressed nose deformity,” J Craniofac Surg 16, 327-31, 2005.
-  S. Tomita, S. Molloy, L. E. Jasper, M. Abe, and S. M. Belkoff, “Biomechanical comparison of kyphoplasty with different bone cements,” Spine 29, 1203-7, 2004.
-  S. V. Dorozhkin and M. Epple, “Biological and medical significance of calcium phosphates,” Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 41, 3130-46, 2002.
-  E. Fischer-Brandies and E. Dielert, “Clinical use of tricalciumphosphate and hydroxyapatite in maxillofacial surgery,” J. Oral Implantol, 12, 40-4, 1985.
-  B. L. Eppley, “Craniofacial reconstruction with computer-generated HTR patient-matched implants: use in primary bony tumor excision,” J Craniofac Surg 13, 650-7, 2002.
-  H. Tada, M. Hatoko, A. Tanaka, M. Kuwahara, K. Mashiba, S. Yurugi, H. Iioka, and K. Niitsuma, “Preshaped hydroxyapatite tricalcium-phosphate implant using three-dimensional computed tomography in the reconstruction of bone deformities of craniomaxillofacial region,” J Craniofac Surg 13, 287-92, 2002.
-  S. Karashima, A. Takeuchi, S. Matsuya, K. I. Udoh, K. Koyano, and K. Ishikawa, “Fabrication of low-crystallinity hydroxyapatite foam based on the setting reaction of alpha-tricalcium phosphate foam,” J Biomed Mater Res A 88, 628-633, 2009.
-  W. Y. Yeong, C. K. Chua, K. F. Leong, and M. Chandrasekaran, “Rapid prototyping in tissue engineering: challenges and potential,” Trends Biotechnol 22, 643-52, 2004.
-  M. P. Groover, “Fundamentals of Modern Manufacturing,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, 2007.
-  S. J. Hollister, “Porous scaffold design for tissue engineering,” Nat Mater 4, 518-24, 2005.
-  P. F. Jacobs (Ed.), “Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing: Fundamentals of Stereolithography,” McGraw-Hill, New York, 1992.
-  I. Ono, K. Abe, S. Shiotani, and Y. Hirayama, “Producing a full-scale model from computed tomographic data with the rapid prototyping technique using the binder jet method: a comparison with the laser lithography method using a dry skull,” J Craniofac Surg 11, 527-37, 2000.
-  E. Sachlos and J. T. Czernuszka, “Making tissue engineering scaffolds work. Review: the application of solid freeform fabrication technology to the production of tissue engineering scaffolds,” Eur Cell Mater 5, 29-39, 2003.
-  S. M. Peltola, F. P. Melchels, D. W. Grijpma, and M. Kellomaki, “A review of rapid prototyping techniques for tissue engineering purposes,” Ann Med 40, 268-80, 2008.
-  R. Noorani, “Rapid Prototyping,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, 2006.
-  K. W. Lee, S. Wang, B. C. Fox, E. L. Ritman, M. J. Yaszemski, and L. Lu, “Poly (propylene fumarate) bone tissue engineering scaffold fabrication using stereolithography: effects of resin formulations and laser parameters,” Biomacromolecules 8, 1077-84, 2007.
-  D. W. Hutmacher and S. Cool, “Concepts of scaffold-based tissue engineering - the rationale to use solid free-form fabrication techniques,” J. Cell Mol. Med. 11, 654-69, 2007.
-  M. H. Smith, C. L. Flanagan, J. M. Kemppainen, J. A. Sack, H. Chung, S. Das, S. J. Hollister, and S. E. Feinberg, “Computed tomography-based tissue-engineered scaffolds in craniomaxillofacial surgery,” Int J Med Robot 3, 207-16, 2007.
-  K. Igawa, M. Mochizuki, O. Sugimori, K. Shimizu, K. Yamazawa, H. Kawaguchi, K. Nakamura, T. Takato, R. Nishimura, S. Suzuki, M. Anzai, U. Chung, and N. Sasaki, “Tailor-made tricalcium phosphate bone implant directly fabricated by a three-dimensional ink-jet printer,” J Artif Organs 9, 234-40, 2006.
-  F. C. Fierz, F. Beckmann, M. Huser, S. H. Irsen, B. Leukers, F. Witte, O. Degistirici, A. Andronache, M. Thie, and B. Müller, “The morphology of anisotropic 3D-printed hydroxyapatite scaffolds,” Biomaterials 29, 3799-806, 2008.
-  C. L. Camire, P. Nevsten, L. Lidgren, and I. McCarthy, “The effect of crystallinity on strength development of alpha-TCP bone substitutes,” J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 79, 159-65, 2006.
-  M. Yamada, M. Shiota, Y. Yamashita, and S. Kasugai, “Histological and histomorphometrical comparative study of the degradation and osteoconductive characteristics of alpha- and beta-tricalcium phosphate in block grafts,” J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 82, 139-48, 2007.
-  T. Okuda, K. Ioku, I. Yonezawa, H. Minagi, Y. Gonda, G. Kawachi, M. Kamitakahara, Y. Shibata, H. Murayama, H. Kurosawa, and T. Ikeda, “The slow resorption with replacement by bone of a hydrothermally synthesized pure calcium-deficient hydroxyapatite,” Biomaterials 29, 2719-28, 2008.
-  A. J. Ambard and L. Mueninghoff, “Calcium phosphate cement: review of mechanical and biological properties,” J Prosthodont 15, 321-8, 2006.
-  H. Saijo, K. Igawa, K. Kanno, Y. Mori, K. Kondo, K. Shimizu, S. Suzuki, D. Chikazu, M. Iino, M. Anzai, N. Sasaki, U. Chung, and T. Takato, “Maxillofacial reconstruction using custom-made artificial bones fabricated by inkjet printing technology,” J Artif Organs 2009 (in press).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.