Dental Treatment with Laser Beam -Monitoring Enabling Safe Hard-Tooth-Tissue Removal-
Keiji Yamada*, Takashi Ueda**, Akira Hosokawa**,
Tatsuaki Furumoto**, and Ryutaro Tanaka**
*Graduate School of Engineering, Hiroshima University, 1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
**Institute of Science and Engineering, Kanazawa University, Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-1192, Japan
With laser-based dental treatment coming into increasing use, we introduce in-process monitoring using a two-color pyrometer and spectroscopic measurement ensuring safe treatment. Sound level monitoring is proposed for detecting hard-dental-tissue removal based on the relationship between tissue removal and sound.
- A. Nagasawa and K. Kato, “A New Examination for Dental Caries Applied Photo-Thermal Reaction on Teeth Induced by Nd:YAG Laser,” The Japanese Journal of Medical Instrumentation, 60-2, pp. 49-55, 1990.
- H. Gotouda and C. Taguchi, “Usefulness of DIAGNOdent in Place of a Dental Probe,” J. of Dental Health, 55-3, pp. 159-164, 2005.
- R. F. Sognnaes and R. H. Stern, “Laser Effect on Resistance of Human Dental Enamel to Demineralization in vitro,” J. South Calif. Dental Assoc., 33, pp. 328-329, 1965.
- T. Shirasuga and H. Wakabayashi, “Study on Caries Prevention System by Nd:YAG Laser Irradiation,” The J. of Japan Soc. for Laser Surgery and Medicine, 7-3, pp. 199-200, 1987.
- C. J. Whitters and A. Hall, “A Clinical Study of Pulsed Nd:YAG Laser-induced Pulpal Analgesia,” J. of Dent., 23-1, p. 145, 1995.
- K. Matsumoto, “Low Energy Therapy in Dentistry,” The J. of Japan Soc. for Laser Surgery and Medicine, 9-3, pp. 81-84, 1988.
-  Japan Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, “Announcement No.59,” 2008.
- L. Goldman and P. Hornby, “Impact of the Laser on Dental Caries,” Nature, 203, pp. 417- 1964.
- H. Yamamoto, “History and Development of Laser Dentistry in Japan,” J. of Japanese Soc. of Laser Dentistry, 19-3, pp. 181-185, 2008.
- K. Yamada and T. Ueda, “Study on Dental Treatment with YAG Laser (3rd Report),” J. of Japan Soc. of Precision Eng., 74-2, pp. 150-154, 2008.
- F. Duck, “Physical Properties of Tissues,” Academic Press, 1990.
- G. Wang and A. Ebihara, “Temperature Change of the Tooth Pulp Chamber Irradiated with Nd:YAG Laser,” The J. of Japan Soc. for Laser Surgery and Medicine, 9-3, pp. 173-176, 1988.
- K. Matsui, “Laser Irradiation and Temperature of Dental Pulp in Vital Teeth,” Reports of the Institute for Medical and Dental Engineering, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 15, pp. 129-133, 1982.
- T. Shimizu, “Physical and Chemical Properties of Tooth Enamel Irradiated by CO2 Laser,” J. of the Japanese Soc. for Dental Materials and Devices, 3-1, pp. 95-101, 1984.
- T. Ueda, K. Yamada, and K. Nakayama, “Temperature of Work Materials Irradiated with CO2 Laser,” Annals of the CIRP, 46-1, pp. 117-122, 1997.
- M. Kumazaki and K. Toyoda, “Removal of Hard Tissue (Cavity Preparation) with Er:YAG Laser,” J. of Japanese Soc. for Laser Dentistry, 6-1, pp. 16-34, 1995.
- R. C. Weast, “Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 70th. ed.,” CRC Press, 1989.
- A. R. Ten Cate, “Oral Histology: development, structure, and function. 5th ed.,” Mosby-Year Book, 1998.