Development of a Cutting Tool with a Textured Surface for Dry Cutting of Aluminum Alloys
Tatsuya Sugihara and Toshiyuki Enomoto
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
2-1 Yamada-oka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
The demand for dry/near-dry cutting has been rapidly increasing to reduce the environmental impact. However, cutting technologies for aluminum alloys have not actually gained widespread use because the aluminum chips adhere strongly to the cutting edge of the tool, leading to tool breakage. To solve this problem, a cutting tool with a banded textured surface was developed, and a series of face-milling experiments for aluminum alloys showed that the textured surface significantly improves the anti-adhesive and anti-frictional properties at the tool-chip interface under dry cutting conditions.
-  G. Byrne, D. Dornfeld, and B. Denkena, "Advancing cutting technology," Annals of the CIRP, Vol.52, No.2, pp. 483-507, 2003.
-  H. Fukui, J. Okita, H. Moriguchi, and H. Iyori, "Aluminum milling performance of DLC coated tools prepared by using a vacuum arc discharge method," Journal of Japanese Society of Tribologists, Vol.49, No.6, pp. 509-517, 2004.
-  H. Yoshimura, T. Moriwaki, T. Shibasaka, J. Okita, Y. Toda, S. Omae, T. Nakai, and H. Kinoshita, "Study of generation and growth of adhesion mechanism in near-dry cutting of aluminum alloys," Journal of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.51, No.7, pp. 416-421, 2007.
-  T. Enomoto and T. Sugihara, "Development of a cutting tool with nano/micro-textured surface. Improvement of anti-adhesive effect," Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Series C, Vol.74, No.745, pp. 2315-2320, 2008.
-  H. Sawada, K. Kawahara, T. Ninomiya, H. Kurosawa, and A. Yokotani, "Precise periodic structuring with femtosecond-laser," Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.4, pp. 554-558, 2003.
-  H. Sawada, K. Kawahara, T. Ninomiya, A. Mori, and K. Kurosawa, "Effect of precise periodic structures with femtosecond-laser on tribological characteristics under sliding tests," Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.70, No.1, pp. 133-137, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.