Factory Tour of Tamagawa Seiki
Nagano National College of Technology
Tamagawa Seiki Co. Ltd. was founded in Kamata, Tokyo, near the Tamagawa River in 1938 and its headquarters factory were completed in Iida, the hometown of the firm’s founder, the late Hiroichi Hagimoto, in 1942. The company began by producing oil gauges consisting of stepping and self-synchronizing motors for fighter plane on warships (Photo 1). After World War II, the company concentrated on industrial products, but continues to study devices and control motors related to detecting angles with high precision, quality, and reliability. The company, originally known only within the industry due to the nature of its products, gained a name when it was awarded Japan’s first Japan Grand Prize for Manufacturing of the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan in 2005 for the VR resolver Singlsyn used on the world’s first hybrid car, the Toyota Prius. Within just one year, Tamagawa Seiki developed and mass-produced an angle sensor that withstands temperatures of 150°C or more and high vibration, based on its accumulated technology and expertise. This product also is used in hybrid Honda and Ford automobiles. The 2007 sales of the company, which employs 650, amounted to 372 billion yen. It has 3 factories in Nagano Prefecture, a business affiliate in Hachinohe, and factories at Fukuchi and Misawa in Aomori Prefecture as its development and production bases. It has six laboratories and development centers in Nagano, Kanagawa, Aichi, and Aomori Prefectures and Tokyo. It also has an overseas affiliate in Hong Kong and a global sales network.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.