Inside Vehicle Inspection System Utilizing a Mobile Robot with LRF Sensor
Sanngoen Wanayuth, Akihisa Ohya, and Takashi Tsubouchi
Intelligent Robot Laboratory, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
Automated vehicle inspection is utilized to inspect vehicles in a parking lots. This paper presents an approach for inspecting vehicle inside through car windows to determine any changes since the last inspection using a Laser Range Finder (LRF) sensor. Features of the approach include the detection inside vehicles method, data alignment using an ICP algorithm, inside vehicle data comparison to find any differences since the last inspection. An item identification method has been used to obtain the average height and size of objects inside vehicles to identify such changes. Our approach was shown to successfully detect typical simple items, i.e., bags, notebook PCs, and wallets, used to test the proposed method. Experiments are conducted to demonstrate the efficiency of our approach for inspecting and recognizing objects inside vehicles.
-  H. Ichihashi, T. Katada, M. Fujiyoshi, A. Notsu, and K. Honda, “Improvement in the performance of camera based vehicle detector for parking lot,” Proc. of 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy System, Barcelona, Spain, pp. 1950-1956, 2010.
-  K. Yamada and M. Mizuno, “A Vehicle Parking Detection Method Using Image Segmentation,” Electronics and Communications in Japan, Part 3, Vol.84, No.10, 2001.
-  T. Fabian, “An Algorithm for Parking Lot Occupation Detection,” Proc. of CISM’08 7th Int. Conf. on Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications, Ostrava, Czech republic, C1, June 26-28 2008.
-  J. Zhou, L. Ernesto, and M. Hebert, “Detection of Parking Spots Using 2D Range Data,” Proc. of the 15th IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conf. 2012, September, 2012.
-  C. Keat, C. Pardalier, and C. Laugier, “Vehicle Detection And Car Park Mapping Using Laser Scanner,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robot and Systems. pp. 2054-2060, Aug. 2-6 2005.
-  S. Wanayuth, A. Ohya, and T. Tsubouchi, “Parking Place Inspection System Utilizing a Mobile Robot with a Laser Range Finder,” IEEE/SICE Int. Symposium on System Integration, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan, Dec. 16-18, 2012.
-  S. Zhen, M. Kevin, Q. C. Yang, and B. Vikas, “Two-Dimensional Laser Servoing for Precision Motion Control of an ODV Robotic License Plate Recognition System,” Proc. of SPIE Conf. on Aerospace/Defense Sensing, Simulation, and Controls, Orlando, Florida, USA, 2003.
-  N. Andreas, “Parallel and Cashed Scan Matching for Robotic 3D Mapping,” J. of Computing and Information Technology, pp. 51-65, 2009.
-  A. Segal, D. Haehnel, and S. Thrun, “Generalized-icp,” in Proc. of Robotics: Science and Systems, Seattle, USA, June 2009.
-  S. Yuta, S. Suzuki, and S. Iida, “Implementation of a Small Size Experimental Self-contained Autonomous Robot-Sensors, Vehicle Control, and Description of Sensor Base Behavior,” Second Int. Symposium on Experimental Robotics (ISER), Toulouse, France, June 25-27, 1991.
-  E. Takeuchi, T. Tsubouchi, and S. Yuta, “Integration and Synchronization of External Sensor Data for aMobile Robot,” SICE Annual Conf. in Fukui, Fukui University, Japan, August 4-6, 2003.