A Two Dimensional Model to Apprehend the Dynamic Response of Shallow Buried Structures due to Impact Loading Related to Mechanical Landmine Clearing Operations
Nuhansyah Sulaiman and Hiroshi Takahashi
Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Tohoku University, 6-6-20 Aramaki-Aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
The study of buried structures under various burial conditions and loadings is incomplete and inconclusive owing to the various and peculiar applications. Mechanical mine clearing with mine flails is one example where the application features are distinct from other geo-mechanical applications. The response of structures in soil has been modeled using a dynamic model that considers the soil characteristics. Further refinement of the established model was conducted and validated in the first iteration of the model’s completion. The lateral component of the soil is now considered and factored in to study the buried structure’s response. This study showed that a simple yet comprehensive mechanical model may be used to study the responses of buried structures to surface impact loadings. The validity of the proposed model may demand a certain degree of further refinement to accommodate other loadings, buried structures, and burial conditions while considering all physical phenomena that occur in the soil medium before, during, and after loading.
-  J. Liu and R. L. Kushwaha, “Force transmitted below the soil surface by human gait,” J. of Terramechanics, pp. 337-342, 2010.
-  GICHD, “Mechanical Demining Equipment Catalogue 2011,” Geneva: GICHD, 2010.
-  GICHD, “A Study of Mechanical Application in Demining,” Geneva: Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD), 2004.
-  A. I. Mahyuddin et al., “Dynamic response of shallow buried structures associated with landmine clearing operations,” J. of Terramechanics, pp. 215-224, 2011.
-  C. Adam and D. Adam, “Modelling of the Dynamic Load Plate Test Device with the LFWD,” Asian J. of Civil Engineering, pp. 73-89, 2003.
-  M. Parvizi, “Soil Response to Surface Impact Loads during Low Energy Dynamic compaction,” J. of Applied Science, pp. 2088-2096, 2009.
-  A. Dancygier and Y. Karinski, “A Simple Model to Assess the Effect of Soil Shear Resistance on the Response of Soil-Buried Structures under Dynamic Loads,” Engineering Structures, pp. 1055-1065, 1999.
-  V. S. Shankla, “Unravelling Flail-Buried Mine Interaction in Mine Neutralization,” Medicine Hat, Canada: Defence Research, 2000.
-  N. Gerolymos and G. Gazetas, “Winkler model for lateral response of rigid caisson foundations in linear soil,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, pp. 347-361, 2006.
-  S. Kawahara, “Shape Effect of Falling Weight on Impact Response against Sand Cushion,” Proc. of the16th Int. Conf. of the ISTVS (pp. 281-285), Turin: ISVTS, 2008.
-  C. Asli et al., “Back-calculation of elastic modulus of soil and subgrade from portable falling weight deflectometer measurements,” Engineering Structures, pp. 1-7, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.