Robot Assisted Instruction in Elementary School Based on Robot Theater
Akihiro Yorita and Naoyuki Kubota
Tokyo Metropolitan University, 6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino, Tokyo 191-0065, Japan
-  Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, “2008 White Paper on Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology,” 2008.
-  J. Fiene, “The Robockey Cup,” USA Robotics & Automation Magazine, IEEE, Vol.17, Issue 3, pp. 78-82, 2010.
-  A. Billard, “Robota: Clever Toy and Educational Tool,” Robotics & Autonomous Systems, Vol.42, pp. 259-269, 2003.
-  S. Lee, H. Noh, J. Lee, K .Lee, and G. G. Lee, “Cognitive effects of robot-assisted language learning on oral skills,” Proc. of the Interspeech2010 workshop on second language studies: acquisition, learning, education and technology, 2010.
-  C.-W. Chang, J.-H. Lee, P.-Y. Chao, C.-Y. Wang, and G.-D. Chen, “Exploring the Possibility of Using Humanoid Robots as Instructional Tools for Teaching a Second Language in Primary School,” Educational Technology & Society, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 13-24, 2010.
-  H. Jeonghye, J.Miheon, J. Vicki, and J. H. Jun, “Comparative Study on the Educational Use of Home Robots for Children,” J. of Information Processing Systems, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 159-168, December 2008.
-  M. Nakano et al., “A Two-Layer Model for Behavior and Dialogue Planning in Conversational Service Robots,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2005), pp. 3329-3335, 2005.
-  N. Kubota, Y.Wagatsuma, and S. Ozawa, “Intelligent Technologies for Edutainment using Multiple Robots,” Proc. (CD-ROM) of The 5th Int. Symposium on Autonomous Minirobots for Research and Edutainment (AMiRE 2009), pp. 195-203, 2009.
-  A. Yorita, T. Hashimoto, H. Kobayashi, and N. Kubota, “Remote Education based on Robot Edutainment,” Proc. (CD-ROM) of The 5th Int. Symposium on Autonomous Minirobots for Research and Edutainment (AMiRE 2009), pp. 204-213, 2009.
-  K. Hayashi et al., “Robot Manzai – Robots’ Conversation as a Passive Social Medium –,” IEEE/RAS Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, pp. 456-462, 2005.
-  N. Kubota and K. Nishida, “Cooperative Perceptual Systems for Partner Robots Based on Sensor Network,” Int. J. of Computer Science and Network Security (IJCSNS), Vol.6, No.11, pp. 19-28, 2006.
-  N. Kubota and A. Yorita, “Structured Learning for Partner Robots based on Natural Communication,” Proc. (CD-ROM) of 2008 IEEE Conf. on Soft Computing in Industrial Applications (SMCia), pp. 303-308, 2008.
-  A. Yaguchi and N. Kubota, “The Style of Information Service by Robot Partners,” in Proc. Part II, 2010 Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Applications (ICIRA 2010), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.6425, pp. 529-540, 2010.
-  T. Hashimoto, S. Hiramatsu, T. Tsuji, and H. Kobayashi, “Development of the Face Robot SAYA for Rich Facial Expressions,” Proc. of SICE-ICASE Int. Joint Conf. 2006, pp. 5423-5428, 2006.
-  P. Ekman, “Universal and cultural differences in facial expression of emotion,” Nebraska Symposium on Motivation, Vol.19, Nebraska University Press, pp. 207-283, 1972.
-  M. Shiomi, T. Kanda, H. Ishiguro, and N. Hagita, “Interactive Humanoid Robots for a Science Museum,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 25-32, Mar./Apr., 2007.
-  M. Canale and M. Swain, “Theoretical Bases of Communicative Approaches to Second Language Teaching and Testing,” Applied Linguistics, Vol.1, pp. 1-47, 1980.
-  C.-Y. Lin, C.-K. Tseng, W.-C. Teng, W.-C. Lee, C.-H. Kuo, H.-Y. Gu, K.-L. Chung, and C.-S. Fahn, “The Realization of Robot Theater: Humanoid Robots and Theatric Performance,” The 14th Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics (ICAR 2009), pp. 1-6, 2009.
-  A. Bandura, “Self-efficacy: Toward a Unifying Theory of Behavioral Change,” Psychological Review, Vol.84, No.2, pp. 191-215, 1977.
-  D. Sperber and D. Wilson, “Relevance Communication and Cognition,” Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 1995.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.