Design and Characterization of Load Sensor with AT-Cut QCR for Miniaturization and Resolution Improvement
Keisuke Narumi*, Toshio Fukuda**, and Fumihito Arai*
*Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
The compact load sensor we developed uses an AT-cut quartz crystal resonator whose resonance frequency changes under external load, featuring high sensitivity, high-speed response, and a wide measurement range – plus superior temperature and frequency stability. The vulnerability of previous quartz crystal resonators to stress concentration in bending prevented them from being more widely applied to load measurement. The sensor we developed maintains the quartz crystal resonator safely. Our objective here is to improve load measurement resolution and to miniaturize the sensor, which we did designing novel retention of the quartz crystal resonator fixed vertical to applied load. The new load sensor’s resolution is 3.21 mN –seven times better than conventional load sensors.
-  J. G. Silva, A. A. Carvalho, and D. D. Silva, “A Strain Gauge Tactile Sensor for Finger-Mounted Applications,” IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 51, No.1, pp. 18-22, 2002.
-  K. Motoo, F. Arai, and T. Fukuda, “Piezoelectric vibration-type tactile sensor using elasticity and viscosity change of structure,” IEEE Sensors J., Vol.7, Issue 7, pp. 1044-1051, 2007.
-  M. T. S. R. Gomes, A. C. Duarte, and J. A. B. P. Oliveira, “Detection of CO2 using a quartz crystal microbalance,” Sens. Actuators B, Vol.26-27, pp. 191-194, 1995.
-  M. T. S. R. Gomes, M. I. S. Verissimo, and J. A. B. P. Oliveira, “Detection of volatile amines using a quartz crystal with gold electrodes,” Sens. Actuators B, Vol.57, pp. 261-267, 1999.
-  L. Spassov, V. Georgiev, L. Vergov, and N. Vladimirova, “Thermosensitive quartz resonators at cryogenic temperatures,” Sens. Actuators A, Vol.62, pp. 484-487, 1997.
-  T. G. Leblois and C. R. Tellier, “Some investigations on doublyrotated quartz resonant temperature sensors,” Sens. Actuators A, Vol.99, pp. 256-269, 2002.
-  F. P. Delannoy, B. Sorli, and A. Boyer, “Quartz Crystal Microbalance (QCM) used as humidity sensor,” Sens. Actuators A, Vol.84, pp. 285-291, 2000.
-  Y. Zhang, K. Yu, R. Xu, D. Jiang, L. Luo, and Z. Zhu, “Quartz crystal microbalance coated with carbon nanotube films used as humidity sensor,” Sens. Actuators A, Vol.120, pp. 142-145, 2005.
-  K. Kon, N. Tsukahara, and M. Shimomura, “DNA sensing with a quartz crystal device for determination of microorganisms,” Sens. Actuators B, Sep. 2006.
-  A. Ballato and R. Bechman, “Effect of initial stress in vibrating quartz plates,” Proc. IRE, Vol.48, pp. 261-262, 1960.
-  J. Ratajski, “ Force frequency coefficient of singly rotated vibrating quartz crystals,” IBM J. Dev. Res., pp. 92-99, Jan. 1968.
-  B. Dumlet, R. Bourquin, and N. Shibanova, “Frequency-output force sensor using a multimode doubly rotated quartz resonator,” Sens, Actuators A, Vol.48, pp. 109-116, 1995.
-  E. Bens, M. Groschl, W. Burger, and M. Schmid, “Sensors based on piezoelectric resonators, Sens. Actuators A,” Vol.48, pp. 1-21, 1995.
-  S. Muraoka, “Force sensor with quartz resonators by differential method,” Trans. SICE, Vol.33, No.12, pp. 1117-1123, 1997.
-  L. D. Clayotn and E. P. EerNisse, “Quartz Thickness-shear mode pressure sensor design for enhanced sensitivity,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelect., Freq. Contr., Vol.45, No.5, pp. 1196-1203, Sep. 1998.
-  Y. G. Dong, J. S. Wang, G. P. Feng, and X. H. Wang, “Self-Temperature-Testing of the Quartz Resonant Force Sensor,” IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol.48, No.6, pp. 1038-1040, Dec. 1999.
-  E. P. EerNisse, “Review of Thickness-Shear Mode Quartz Resonator Sensors for Temperature and Pressure,” IEEE Sens. J., Vol.1, No.1, pp. 79-87, Jun. 2001.
-  Z. Wang, H. Zhu, Y. Dong, and G. Feng, “A thickness-shear quartz force sensor with dual-mode temperature compensation,” IEEE Sens. J., Vol.3, No.4, pp. 490-497, Aug. 2003.
-  A. Asakura, T. Fukuda, and F. Arai, “Design, Fabrication and Characterization of Compact Force Sensor Using AT-cut Quartz Crystal Resonators,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems 2008, pp. 506-511, 2008.
-  K. Narumi, A. Asakura, T. Fukuda, and F. Arai, “Compact Force Sensor Using AT-Cut Quartz Crystal Resonator Supported by Novel Retention Mechanism,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 260-266, 2009.
-  S. Muraoka and H. Nishimura, “Characteristics of a rectangular AT cut quartz resonator as a force sensor,” Collected papers of the society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.32, No.4, pp. 604-606, 1996.
-  P. Kim, “Microcontroller oscillator design guide,” AN588 by Microchip Technology Inc., 1997.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.