Size-Dependent Filtration and Trapping of Microparticles in a Microfluidic Chip Using Graduated Gaps and Centrifugal Force
Hisataka Maruyama*, Shinya Sakuma**, Yoko Yamanishi*,***,
and Fumihito Arai*
*Department of Mechanical Science & Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, 464-8603, Japan
**Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, Aramaki-Aoba 6-6-01, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
-  C. R. Cabrera and P. Yager, “Continuous concentration of bacteria in a microfluidic flow cell using electrokinetic techniques,” Electrophoresis, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 335-362, 2001.
-  P. K. Wong, C.-Yang Chen, T. H. Wang, and C.-Ming Ho, “Electrokinetic Bioprocessor for Concentrating Cells and Molecules,” Analytical chemistry, Vol.76, No.23, pp. 6908-6914, 2006.
-  C. Lay et al., “Enhanced microfiltration devices configured with hydrodynamic trapping and a rain drop bypass filtering architecture for microbial cells detection,” Lab Chip Vol.8, pp. 830-833, 2008.
-  N. Pamme, “Continuous flow separations in microfluidic devices,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.7, pp. 1644-1659, 2007.
-  T. Katsuragi and Y. Tani, “Review: Single-cell sorting of microorganisms by flow or slide-based (including laser scanning) cytometry,” Acta Biotechnol, Vol.21, pp. 99-115, 2001.
-  S. Choi and Je-Kyun Park, “Continuous hydrophoretic separation and sizing of microparticles using slanted obstacles in a microchanne,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.7, pp. 890-897, 2007.
-  T. Laurell, F. Petersson, and A. Nilsson, “Chip integrated strategies for acoustic separation and manipulation of cells and particles,” Chem. Soc. Rev., Vol.36, pp. 492-506, 2007.
-  P. Gascoyne, C. Mahidol, M. Ruchirawat, J. Satayavivad, P. Watcharasit, and F. F. Becker, “Microsample preparation by dielectrophoresis: isolation of malaria,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.2, pp. 70-75, 2002.
-  P. Y. Chiou, A. T. Ohta, and, M. C. Wu, “Massively parallel manipulation of single cells and microparticles using optical images,” Nature, Vol.436, pp. 370-372, 2005.
-  F. Arai, A. Ichikawa, M. Ogawa, T. Fukuda, K. Horio, and K. Itoigawa, “High Speed Separation System of Randomly Suspended Single Living Cells by Laser Trap and Dielectrophoresis,” Electrophoresis, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 283-288, 2001.
-  M. Yoshida, K. Thoda, and M. Gratzl, “Hydrodynamic Micromanipulation of Individual Cells onto Patterned Attachment Sites on Biomicroelectromechanical System Chips,” Anal. Chem, Vol.75, pp. 4686-4690, 2003.
-  J. Takagi, M. Yamada, M. Yasuda, and M. Seki, “Continuous particle separation in a microchannel having asymmetrically arranged multiple branches,” Lab Chip, Vol.5, pp. 778-784, 2005.
-  M. Yamada and S. Minoru, “Microfluidic Particle Sorter Employing Flow Splitting and Recombining,” Anal. Chem., Vol.78, pp. 1357-1362, 2006.
-  S. Sunahiro, M. Yamada, M. Yasuda, and M. Seki, “Centrifugal Microdevice for Continuous and Size-Dependent separation of Particles,” Proc. of µ TAS2007, pp. 898-900, 2007.
-  H. Maruyama, S. Sakuma, Y. Yamanishi, and F. Arai, “Size-Dependent Particle Filteration Using Magnetically Driven Microtool and Centrifugal Force in Microchip,” Proc. of MEMS2009, pp. 375-378, 2008.
-  Y. Yamanishi, Y. C. LIN, and F. Arai, “Magnetically modified PDMD microtools for micro particle manipulation,” Proc. of the 2007 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, pp. 753-758, 2007.
-  Y. Yamanishi, Y. Kihara, S. Sakuma, and F. Arai, “On-chip Droplet Dispensing by Magnetically Driven Microtool,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 229-235, 2009.
-  D. C. Duffy, J. C. McDonald, S. J. A. Chueller, and G. Whitesides, “Rapid prototyping of microfluidic systems in poly (dimethylsiloxane),” Anal. Chem., Vol.70, pp. 4974-4984, 1998.
-  J. M. K. Ng, I. Gitlin, A. D. Stroock, and G. M. Whitesides “Components for integrated poly(dimethylsiloxane) microfluidic systems,” Electrophoresis, Vol.23, pp. 3461-3473, 2002.
-  Y. Yamanishi et al., “Biocompatible polymeric magnetically driven microtool for particle sorting,” J. of Micro - Nano Mechatronics, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 49-57, 2008.
-  R. Mori, K. Hanai, and Y. Matsumoto, “Three dimensional micro fabrication of photoresist and resin materials by using grayscale lithography and molding,” AT.IEEE Japan, Vol.124-E, No.10, pp.359-363, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.