Rehabilitation System Using Teleoperation with Force-Feedback-Based Impedance Adjustment and EMG-Moment Model for Arm Muscle Strength Assessment
Minh Duc Duong*, Kazuhiko Terashima**, Takanori Miyoshi**,
and Tatsuya Okada**
*Department of Industrial Automation, Hanoi University of Technology 01 Dai Co Viet Road, Hanoi, Vietnam
**Department of Production Systems Engineering, Toyohashi University of Technology 1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tempaku-cho, Toyohashi 441-8580, Japan
-  H. I. Krebs, J. J. Palazzolo, L. Dipietro, M. Ferraro, J. Krol, K. Rannekleiv, B. T. Volpe, and N. Hogan, “Rehabilitation Robotics: Performance-Based Progressive Robot-Assist Therapy,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.15, pp. 7-20, 2003.
-  R. Loureiro, F. Amirabdollahian, M. Topping, B. Driessen, and W. Harwin, “Upper Limb Robot Mediated Stroke Therapy-GENTLE/s Approach,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.15, pp. 35-51, 2003.
-  C. G. Burgar, P. S. Lum, P. C. Shor, and H. F. Machiel Van der Loos, “Development of robots for rehabilitation therapy: The Palo Alto VA/Stanford experience,” J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.37, No.6, pp. 663-673, 2002.
-  M. D. Duong, K. Terashima, T. Miyoshi, and T. Imamura, “Telerehabilitation Robot System with Haptic Feedback by Means of Brake and Deadband Control Towards Home Medical Welfare Support,” Trans. of The Institute of Systems, Control and Information Engineers (ISCIE), Vol.20, No.7, pp. 275-282, 2007.
-  E. A. Clancy and N. Hogan, “Relating Agonist-Antagonist Electromyograms to Joint Torque During Isometric, Quasi-Isotonic, Nonfatiguing Contractions,” IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol.44, No.10, pp. 1024-1028, 1997.
-  B. Laursen, B. R. Jensen, G. Nemeth, and G. Sjogaard, “A model predicting individual shoulder muscle forces based on relationship between electromyographic and 3D external forces in static position,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.31, pp. 731-739, 1998.
-  J. Rosen, M. B. Fuchs, and M. Arcan, “Performances of Hill-Type and Neural Network Muscle Models – Toward a Myosignal - Based Exoskeleton,” Computers and Biomedical Research, Vol.32, pp. 415-439, 1999.
-  J. Rosen, M. Brand, M. B. Fuchs, and M. Arcan, “A myosignal Based Powered Exoskeleton System,” IEEE Trans. on Man, and Cybernetics – Part A: Systems and Humans, Vol.31, No.3, pp. 210-222, May 2001.
-  D. G. Lloyd and T. F. Besier, “An EMG-driven musculoskeletal model to estimate muscle forces and knee joint moments in vivo,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.36, pp. 765-776, 2003.
-  M. Kumamoto, T. Oshima, and T. Yamamoto, “Control Properties Induced by the Existence of Antagonistic Pairs of Bi-articular Muscles – Mechanical Engineering Model analyses,” HumanMovement Science, Vol.13, pp. 611-634, 1994.
-  M. Kumamoto, “Animal Inspired Motion Control Mechanism,” The 8th IEEE Int. Workshop on Advanced Motion Control, AMC’04, pp. 11-19, 2004.
-  D. Angeli, “Input-to-state stability of PD controlled robotic systems,” Automatica, Vol.35, pp. 1285-1290, 1999.
-  G. Niemeyer and J.-J. E. Slotine, “Stable Adaptive Teleoperation,” IEEE J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 152-162, 1991.
-  D. Liberzon and A. S. Morse, “Basic Problems in Stability and Design of Switched Systems,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, pp. 59-70, Oct. 1999.
-  H. Baier, M. Buss, F. Freyberger, J. Hoogen, P. Kammermeier, and G. Schmidt, “Distributed PC-Based Haptic, Visual and Acoustic Telepresence System-Experiments in Virtual and Remote Environments,” Proc. of the IEEE Virtual Reality Conference VR’99, (Houston, TX), pp. 118-125, 1999.
-  W. K. Durfee and P. A. Iaizzo, “Rehabilitation and muscle testing,” J. G. Webster (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Medical Devices and Instrumentation, 2nd ed., Vol.6, Hoboken, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 62-71, 2006.
-  J. R. Potvin, R. W. Norman, and S. M. McGill, “Mechanically corrected EMG for the continuous estimation of erector spinae muscle loading during repetitive lifting,” European J. of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, Vol.74, pp. 119-132, 1996.
-  L. Collatz and W. Wetterling, “Optimization Problems,” Applied Mathematical Sciences, Springer-Verlag New York Inc., 1975.
-  R. J. Anderson and M. W. Spong, “Bilateral Control of Teleoperators with Time Delay,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.34, No.5, pp. 494-501, May 1989.
-  P. F. Hokayem and M. W. Spong, “BilateralTeleoperation: An Historical Survey,” Automatica, Vol.42, Issue 12, pp. 2035-2057, Dec. 2006.
-  D. A. Lawrence, “Stability and transparency in bilateral teleoperation,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, 9(5), pp. 625-637, Oct. 1992.
-  Y. Yokokohji and T. Yoshikawa, “Bilateral control of master-slave manipulators for ideal kinesthetic coupling formulation and experiment,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, 10(5), pp. 605-620, Oct. 1994.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.