Improvement of Vibration Sensitivity by Tangential Vibration
Hie-yong Jeong, Mitsuru Higashimori, and Makoto Kaneko
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
2-1 Yamadagaoka, Suita 565-0871, Japan
-  R. T. Verrillo, “Investigation of Some Parameters of the Cutaneous Threshold for Vibration,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol.34, No.11, pp. 1768-1773, 1962.
-  R. T. Verrillo, “Effect of Contactor Area on the Vibrotactile Threshold,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol.35, No.12, pp. 1962-1966, 1963.
-  R. T. Verrillo, A. J. Fraioli, and R. L. Smith, “Sensation magnitude of vibrotactile stimuli,” Perception and Psychophysics, 6, pp. 366-372, 1969.
-  R. T. Verrillo and G. A. Gescheider, “Psychophysical measurements of enhancement, suppression, and surface gradient effects in vibrotaction,” In D. R. Kenshalo (Ed.), “Sensory functions of the skin of humans,” New York: Plenum Press, pp. 153-181, 1979.
-  T. Miyaoka, T. Mano, and H. Fukuda, “Threshold curves and equal-sensation contours for low frequency vibrotactile stimuli on the human glabrous skin,” Japanese Psychological Research, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 145-153, 1985.
-  T. Mano and T. Miyaoka, “Clinical application of microneurography,” In N. Yamaguchi and K. Fujisawa (Ed.), “Recent advances in EEG and EMG data processing,” Amsterdam: Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press, pp. 335-342, 1981.
-  T. Miyaoka and T. Mono, “Relations between neural and psychophysical phenomena of cutaneous mechanoreception,” Clinical Electroencephalography, 24, pp. 471-479, 1982.
-  S. J. Bolanowski, G. A. Gescheider, R. T. Verrillo, and C. M. Checkosky, “Four Channels Mediate the Mechanical Aspects of Touch,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol.84, No.5, pp. 1680-1700, 1988.
-  H. Jeong, M. Kaneko, M. Higashimori, and K. Matsukawa, “Improvement of Tactile sensitivity by Pressing a Finger Base,” Trans. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.43, No.11, pp. 973-979, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  H. Jeong, M. Higashimori, and M. Kaneko, “Improvement of Touch Sensitivity by Pressing,” Proc. of Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 2409-2414, 2008.
-  I. E. Gordon and C. Cooper, “Improving one's touch,” Nature, 256, pp. 203-204, 1975.
-  S. J. Lederman, “ ‘Improving one’s touch’... and more,” Perception and Psychophysics, 24, 2, pp. 154-160, 1978.
-  D. A. Perry and H. E. Wright, Touch enhancing pad, US Patent No.4657021, 1987.
-  R. Kikuuwe, A. Sano, H. Mochiyama, N. Takesue, and H. Fujimoto, “Enhancing Haptic Detection of Surface Undulation,” ACM Transactions on Applied Perceptions, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 46-67, 2005.
-  R. Kikuuwe, A. Sano, H. Mochiyama, N. Takesue, K. Tsunekawa, S. Suzuki, and H. Fujimoto, “The Tactile Contact Lens,” Proc. of the 3rd IEEE Conf. on Sensors, pp. 535-539, 2004.
-  Y. Tanaka, A. Sano, M. Ito, and H. Fujimoto, “A Novel Tactile Device Considering Nail Function for Changing Capability of Tactile Perception,” Proc. of EuroHaptics 2008, pp. 543-548, 2008.
-  http://www.mess-tek.co.jp/
-  S. P. Káarason, M. A. Srinivasan, and A. M. Annaswamy, “Encoding and Decoding of Static Information in Tactile Sensing Systems,” The Int. Journal of Robotics Research, 18, pp. 131-151, 1999.
-  http://www.nacinc.jp/index.html
-  http://www.moritex.co.jp/
-  R. Gonzalez, R. Woods, and S. Eddins, “Digital Image Processing using Matlab,” Prentice Hall, 2004.
-  G. Gescheider, “Chapter 3: The Classical Psychophysical Methods,” Psychophysics: the fundamentals (3rd ed.), Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1977.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.