A Double Image Acquisition System with Visible and UV LEDs for Citrus Fruit
Mitsutaka Kurita* , Naoshi Kondo*2, Hiroshi Shimizu*2, Peter Ling*3, Paolo D. Falzea*4, Tomoo Shiigi*5, Kazunori Ninomiya*, Takahisa Nishizu*6, and Kazuya Yamamoto*5
*SI Seiko Co.,Ltd.,66, Takaoka-cho, Matsuyama, Ehime 791-8036, Japan
*2Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University,
Kitashirakawa-Oiwakecho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8502, Japan
*3Department of Food, Agricultural, and Biological Engineering, The Ohio State University,
1680 Madison Avenue, Wooster, OH 44691, USA
*4Faculty of Agricultural Science, Mediterranean University of Reggio Calabria,
89060, Localita Feo di Vito, Reggio Calabria, Italy
*5Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Ehime University,
3 Bunkyo-cho, Matsuyama, Ehime 790-8577, Japan
*6Faculty of Applied Biological Science, Gifu University,
1-1 Yanagito, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
There are many types of citrus fruit grading machine with machine vision capability. While most of them sort fruit by size, shape and color, detection of fruit rot remains challenging because their colors are similar with normal parts. Objectives of this research were to investigate if fluorescence would be a good indicator of the fruit rot, and to develop an economical solution to add the rot inspection capability to an existing machine vision fruit inspection station. A machine vision system consisting of a pair of white and UV LED lighting devices and a color CCD camera was proposed for the orange fruit grading task. Since the time lag between the color and fluorescence image captures was short (14 ms), it was possible to inspect color, shape, size, and rot of a fruit on the move before it leaves an existing industrial inspection chamber.
-  N. Aleixos, J. Blasco, F. Navarron, and E. Molto, “Multispectral inspection of citrus in real-time using machine vision and digital signal,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 33, pp. 121-137, 2002.
-  W. Andrew, “Vision system grades moving food products,” Vision System Design, pp. 26-29, June 2002.
-  A. Davenel, C. Guizard, T. Labarre, and F. Sevila, “Automation Detection of Surface Defects on Fruit by Using a Vision System,” J. agric. Engng Res. 41, pp. 1-9, 1998.
-  T. Ishii, H. Toita, N. Kondo, and N. Tahara, “Deciduous Fruit Grading Robot(Part 2) — Development of Image Processing System —,” J. JSAM, 65(6), pp. 173-183, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Kurita, N. Kondo, and K. Ninomiya, “Defect Detection for Tomato Granding by use of Six Color CCD Cameras,” Journal of Science and High Technology in Agriculture, 18(2), pp. 135-144, 2006.
-  V. Leemans, H. Magein, M. F. Destain, “On-line Fruit Grading according to their External Quality using Machine Vision,” Biosystems Engineering, 83(4), pp. 397-404, 2002.
-  V. Leemans and M. F. Destain, “A real-time grading method of apples based on features extracted from defects,” Journal of Food Engineering, 61, pp. 83-89, 2004.
-  J. B. Njoroge, K. Ninomiya, N. Kondo, and H. Toita, “Automated Fruit Grading System Using Image,” Proc. 2002 SICE, Osaka, pp. 1290-1295, 2002.
-  Y. Ogawa, N. Kondo, and S. Shibusawa, “Internal Quality Evaluation of Fruit with Soft X-ray CT,” Journal of the JSAM, 67(3), pp. 114-121, 2005.
-  Y. Ogawa, N. Kondo, and S. Shibusawa, “Internal Quality Evaluation of Fruit with Soft Transparent Image,” Journal of Science and High Technology in Agriculture, 17(2), pp. 75-83, 2005.
-  R.Lu and D.Ariana, “A near-Infrared Sensing Technique for Measureing Internal Quality of Apple Fruit,” Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 18(5), pp. 585-590, 2002.
-  J. Uozumi et al., “Spectrophotometric System for the Quality Evaluation of Unevenly Clored Food,” Journal of the JSFST, 34(3), pp. 163-170, 1987.
-  N. Kondo, K. Yamamoto, S. Taniwaki, M. Kuramoto, M. Kurita, and K. Ninomiya, “Machine vision system for detecting rotten citrus fruit by use of UV LEDs,” ASABE an Int. Conf. in BIOLOGICAL SENSORICS, (Database), 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.