Wheel-Based Stair Climbing Robot with Hopping Mechanism – Demonstration of Continuous Stair Climbing Using Vibration –
Yuji Asai*, Yasuhiro Chiba*, Keisuke Sakaguchi*,
Naoki Bushida**, Hiroshi Ohtsuka*, Yusuke Saito*,
and Koki Kikuchi***
*Dept. of Mechanical Science and Engineering, Chiba Institute of Technology, 2-17-1 Tsudanuma, Narashino, Chiba 275-0016, Japan
**TOYOTA BOSHOKU CORPORATION, 1-1 Toyoda-cho, Kariya-shi, Aichi, Japan
***Dept. of Advanced Robotics, Chiba Institute of Technology, 2-17-1 Tsudanuma, Narashino, Chiba 275-0016, Japan
We propose a simple hopping mechanism using vibration of a two-degrees-of-freedom (2-DOF) system for a fast stair-climbing robot. The robot, consisting of two bodies connected by springs and a wire, hops by releasing energy stored in springs and travels quickly using wheels mounted on its lower body. The trajectories of bodies during hopping change based on mechanical design parameters such as reduced mass of the two bodies, the mass ratio between the upper and lower bodies, and spring constant, and control parameters such as initial contraction of the spring and wire tension. This property allows the robot to quickly and economically climb stairs and land softly without complex control. In this paper, we propose a mathematical model of the robot and investigate required tread length for continuous hopping to climb a flight of stairs. Furthermore, we demonstrate fast stair-climbing and soft landing for a flight of stairs in experiments.
-  Y. Uchida, K. Furuichi, and S. Hirose, “Fundamental Performance of 6 Wheeled Off-Road Vehicle HELIOS-V,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2336-2341, 1999.
-  H. W. Stone, “Mars Pathfinder Microrover – a Small, Low-Cost, Low-Power Spacecraft,” Proc. of the 1996 AIAA Forum on Advanced Developments in Space Robotics, Madison, WI, 1996.
-  S. Nakajima, E. Nakano, and T. Takahashi, “Motion Control Technique for Practical Use of a Leg-Wheel Robot on Unknown Outdoor Rough Terrains,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.1, pp. 1353-1358, 2004.
-  S. Hirose, F. E. Fukushima, R. Damoto, and H. Nakamoto, “Design of Terrain Adaptive Versatile Crawler Vehicle HELIOS-VI,” Proc. of the 2001 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1540-1545, 2001.
-  T. Takubo, T. Arai, K. Inoue, T. Tsurutani, Y. Hayashibara, and E. Koyanagi, “Development of Limb Mechanism Robot ASTERISK,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 203-214, 2006.
-  R. Altendorfer, E. Z. Moore, H. Komsuoglu, M. Buehler, H. Brown, D. McMordie, U. Saranli, R. Full, and D. E. Koditschek, “A Biologically Inspired Hexapod Runner,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.11, pp. 207-213, 2001.
-  M. Mori and S. Hirose, “Development of Active Cord Mechanism ACM-R3 with Agile 3D mobility,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. On Intelligent Robot and Systems, pp. 1552-1557, 2001.
-  M. H. Yim, R. Hinden, C. K. Wang, C. Conley, K. D. Roufas, and C. Eldershaw, “Open loop climbing with modular robots,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 903-912, 2006.
-  E. Nakano, H. Okubo, and H. Kobayashi, “The Landing Control of a Jumping Machine,” J. of RSJ, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 169-176, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  M. D. Berkemeier and R. S. Fearing, “Siliding and Hopping Gaits for the Underactuated Acrobot,” IEEE Transaction on Robotics and Automation, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 629-634, 1998.
-  M. Ahmadi, H. Michalska, and M. Buehler, “Control and Stability Analysis of Limit Cycles in a Hopping Robot,” IEEE Trans. On Robotics, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 553-563, 2007.
-  S. Shimoda, T. Kubota, and I. Nakatani, “New Mobility System Based on Elastic Energy under Microgravity,” Proc. of the 2002 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2296-2301, 2002.
-  Y. Sugiyama, A. Shiotsu, M. Yamanaka, and S. Hirai, “Circular/Spherical Robots for Crawling and Jumping,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3606-3611, 2005.
-  S. A. Stoeter and N. Papanikolopoulos, “Kinematic Motion Model for Jumping Scout Robot,” IEEE Transaction on Robotics, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 398-403, 2006.
-  K. Sakaguchi, T. Sudo, N. Bushida, Y. Chiba, Y. Asai, and K. Kikuchi, “Wheel-Based Stair-climbing Robot with Hopping Mechanism — Fast Stair-climbing and Soft-landing by Vibration of 2-DOF system —,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 258-263, 2007.
-  K. Kikuchi, N. Bushida, T. Sudo, K. Sakaguchi, Y. Chiba, and Y. Asai, “Wheel-Based Stair-Climibing Robot with Hopping Mechanism,” 2nd Int. Conf. Mechatronic Systems and Materials: MSM2006, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.