Development of Directional Display Using Forearm Twisting and Human Navigation Experiments
Masamichi Sakaguchi*, Utako Kanuka**, Shigeyuki Shimachi**,
and Akira Hashimoto**
*Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Gokiso-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya 466-8555, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iwate University, 4-3-5 Ueda, Morioka, Iwate 020-8551, Japan
-  L. Kay, “A sonar aid to enhance spatial perception of the blind: engineering design and evaluation,” The Radio and Electronic Engineer, Vol.44, No.11, pp. 605-627, 1974.
-  D. Bissitt, and A. D. Heyes, “An application of bio-feedback in the rehabilitation of the blind,” Applied Ergonomics, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 31-33, 1980.
-  J. Borenstein, and I. Ulrich, “The GuideCane – A Computerized Travel Aid for the Active Guidance of Blind Pedestrians,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1283-1288, 1997.
-  S. J. Kang, Y. H., Kim, and I. H. Moon, “Development of an Intelligent Guide-Stick for the Blind,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3208-3213, 2001.
-  S. Kotani, N. Kiyohiro, and H. Mori, “Development of the Robotic Travel Aid for the Visually Impaired,” J. Institute of Image Information and Television Engineers, Vol.51, No.6, pp. 878-885, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Kawai, M. Kobayashi, H. Minagawa, M. Miyakawa, and F. Tomita, “A Support System for Visually Impaired Persons using Three-Dimensional Virtual Sound,” IEEJ Trans. Electronics, Information and Systems, Vol.120-C, No.5, pp. 648-655, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  N. Kitajima, N. Yamamoto, and T. Takeda, “Availability of Auditory Cue for Wayfinding,” Trans. Human Interface Society, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 11-18, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  M. Yoshie, H. Yano, and H. Iwata, “Development of Non-grounded Force Display Using Gyro Moment Effect,” Trans. Virtual Reality Society of Japan, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 329-338, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nakata, N. Nakamura, J. Yamashita, S. Nishihara, and Y. Fukui, “Torque-feedback Device using Angular Momentum Transition,” Trans. Virtual Reality Society of Japan, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 115-120, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  N. Nakamura, and Y. Fukui, “Development of a Force and Torque Hybrid Display “GyroCubeStick”,” Proc. World Haptics 2005, pp. 633-634, 2005.
-  H. Ando, K. Obana, J. Watanabe, M. Sugimoto, and T. Maeda, “Development of a rotation moment-type force display using mechanical brakes,” Trans. Human Interface Society, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 29-36, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  A. Kimura, and K. Sato, “–GyroTouch– A Fingertip Haptic Device with stimulation of Reaction Torque,” Trans. Human Interface Society, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 33-39, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  R. Ikeura, H. Yamashita, and K. Mizutani, “Guidance of Human by Vibration Stimulus,” Trans. Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.40, No.6, pp. 679-686, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  K. Tsukada, and M. Yasumura, “ActiveBelt: Belt-type Wearable Tactile Display for Directional Navigation,” Proc. UbiComp 2004, pp. 384-399, 2004.
-  J. B. F. Van Erp, H. A. H. C. Van Veen, C. Jansen, and T. Dobbins, “Waypoint navigation with a vibrotactile vaist belt,” ACM Trans. on Applied Perception, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 106-117, 2005.
-  U. Kanuka, M. Sakaguchi, S. Shimachi, and A. Hashimoto, “Basic Examination for Development of Handy Force Navigation Device,” Proc. 19th Annual Conf. Robotics Society of Japan, pp. 189-190, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  M. Sakaguchi, U. Kanuka, S. Shimachi, and A, Hashimoto, “Development of Force Display Using Forearm Twist Motion and Human Navigation Control,” Proc. 8th Robotics Symposia, pp. 124-129, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  I. A. Kapandji, “The Physiology of the Joints,” Upper Limb, Vol.1, 5th Ed., Churchill Livingstone, 1982.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.