Vertical Planar Underactuated Manipulation Using a Gravity Compensation Mechanism
Yoshiki Ono*, and Toshio Morita**
*Graduate School of Science and Technology, Keio University, 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama 223-8522, Japan
**Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Keio University
We propose generating and erasing equilibrium points for passive joints, together with an underactuated manipulator having both vertical and horizontal planar type. This manipulator implements three degrees of freedom (DOF) by combining a passive two-DOF mechanical gravity canceller and an active base joint. Equilibrium points are erased and adjusted by angular variation of the base joint so equilibrium points are erased when gravity torque is zero. If gravity torque is not zero, equilibrium points depend on angular variation of the base joint. Experimental results show position control of the distal link through the mechanical gravity canceller is effective for underactuated manipulation.
-  K. J. Astrom, and K. Furuta, “Swinging up a pendulum by energy control,” Automatica, pp. 287-295, 2000.
-  M. Spong, “The swing up control problem for the acrobot,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 49-55, 1995.
-  A. De Luca, and G. Oriolo, “Stabilization of the Acrobot via Iterative State Steering,” Proc. of the 1998 IEEE/ICRA, Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3581-3587, 1998.
-  T. Suzuki, and Y. Nakamura, “Control of Nonholonomic Free-Joint manipulators with One Actuator,” Proc. of the 2000 IEEE/IROS, Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 127-132, 2000.
-  T. Suzuki, and Y. Nakamura, “Controllability of 3-dof manipulator with a passive joint under a nonholonomic constraint,” Proc. of the 1996 IEEE/ICRA, Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3707-3713, 1996.
-  N. Shiroma, H. Arai, and K. Tanie, “Nonholonomic Motion Planning for Coupled Planar Rigid Bodies with Passive Revolute Joints,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Enineers (C), Vol.66, No.642, pp. 553-560, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  H. Arai, K. Tanie, and N. Shiroma, “Nonholonomic Control of a Three-DOF Planar Underactuated Manipulator,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.14, No.5, pp. 681-695, 1998.
-  S. Hirose, and R. Chu, “Development of a Lightweight Torque Limiting M-Drive Actuator for Hyper-Redundant Manipulator Float Arm,” Proc. of the 1999 IEEE/ICRA, Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 2831-2836, 1999.
-  E. Paljug, T. Ohm, and S. Hayati, “The JPL serpentine Robot; a 12-DOF System for Inspection,” Proc. of the 1995 IEEE/ICRA, Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 3143-3148, 1995.
-  T. Morita, F. Kuribara, Y. Shiozawa, and S. Sugano, “A Novel Mechanism Design for Gravity Compensation in Three Dimensional Space,” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE/ASME, Int. Conf. on AIM, pp. 163-168, 2003.
-  S. Hirose, “Design of Hyper-Redundant Arm,” The 7th International Symposium of Robotics Research, pp. 548-557, 1996.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.