Expression of Existence Supporting Sharing Interspatial Distance-“Maai”: Development of Roving Object Integrating Partner’s Shadow and Video Image
Chikara Ishibiki*, Yoshiaki Nakajima**, Daisuke Matsumoto**,
and Yoshiyuki Miwa*
*Waseda University, 3-4-1 Ookubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
**Graduate School of Waseda University, 3-4-1 Ookubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
-  E. T. Hall, “The Hidden Dimension,” Garden City, N.Y., pp. 160-227, 1966.
-  H. Shimizu, “The Thoughts of “Ba”: Creative stage of life,” University of Tokyo Press, pp. 29-222, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Miwa, “Communication technology of “Ba” in co-creation,” Systems/Control/Information, 45-11, pp. 638-644, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Miwa, and S. Itai, “Expression of Timing and generation of spatial distance (Maai) by Haptic Interface,” Journal of Human Interface Society, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 63-71, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Miwa, C. Ishibiki, T. Watanabe, and S. Itai, “Design of Co-existing space by Shoji interface showing Shadow,” Human-Computer Interaction, Vol.2, Proceedings of HCI International 2003, pp. 508-512, 2003.
-  Y. Miwa, and C. Ishibiki, “Development of Co-existing Communication system using shadow for creation of “Ba”,” Proceedings of interaction 2004, pp. 255-262, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Miwa, and C. Ishibiki, “Shadow Communication: System for Embodied Interaction with Remote Partners,” CSCW2004, pp. 467-476, 2004.
-  H. Kuzuoka, and J. Kosaka, “Designing a Robot as Communication Media – The Effect of Head and Body Movement on Co-Present’s Impression,” Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Computer Intelligence in Robotics and Automation, pp. 50-54, 2003.
-  E. Paulos, and J. Canny, “Social Tele-Embodiment: Understanding Presence,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.11, pp. 87-95, 2001.
-  S. Brave, H. Ishii, and A. Dahley, “Tangible Interfaces for Remote Collaboration and Communication,” Proc. of CSCW ’98, ACM Press, pp. 169-178, 1998.
-  C. Cruz-Neira, D. J. Sandin, and T. A. DeFanti, “Surround-screen projection-baced virtual reality: design and implementation of CAVE,” Proceedings of the 20th annual conference on computer graphics and interactive techniques, pp. 135-142, 1993.
-  J. Hayashi, and Y. Kunita, “The Design and Development of TWISTER II: Immersive Full-color Autostereoscopic Display,” Proceedings of the ICAT2001, pp. 56-63, 2001.
-  J. C. Tang, and S. L. Minneman, “Video Whiteboard: video shadows to support remote collaboration,” Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems: Reaching through technology table of contents, pp. 315-322, 1991.
-  M. Apperley, L. McLeod, M. Masoodian, L. Paine, M. Phillips, B. Roger, and K. Thomson, “Use of video shadow for small group interaction awareness on a large interactive display surface,” Proceedings of AUIC 2003, Vol.18, pp. 81-90, 2003.
-  M. Okamoto, H. Nakanishi, T. Nishimura, and T. Ishida, “Silhouettell: Awareness support for real-world encounter,” In Toru Ishida Ed., Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1519, pp. 317-330, 1998.
-  C. Heath, and P. Luff, “Disembodied Conduct: Communication Through Video in a Multi-Media Office Environment,” Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing, pp. 99-103, 1991.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.