Accuracy of Quantitative Precipitation Estimation Using Operational Weather Radars: A Case Study of Heavy Rainfall on 9–10 September 2015 in the East Kanto Region, Japan
Shakti P. C.*, Ryohei Misumi*, Tsuyoshi Nakatani*, Koyuru Iwanami*, Masayuki Maki**, Takeshi Maesaka*, and Kohin Hirano*
*National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience (NIED)
3-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0006, Japan
1-21-40 Korimoto, Kagoshima 890-0065, Japan
-  K. P. Georgakakos, “Analytical results for operational flash flood guidance,” J. Hydrol., Vol.317, pp. 81-103, 2006.
-  M. Kobiyama and R. F. Goerl, “Quantitative method to distinguish flood and flash flood as disasters,” SUISUI Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.1, pp. 11-14, 2007.
-  H. Oshikawa, A. Hashimoto, K. Tsukahara, and T. Komatsu, “ Impacts of recent climate change on flood disaster and preventive measures,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 131-141, 2008.
-  Y. Hirabayashi and S. Kanae, “ First estimate of the future global population at risk of flooding,” Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.3, pp. 6-9, 2009.
-  M. Maki, T. Maesaka, A. Kato, D. S. Kim, and K. Iwanami, “Developing a composite rainfall map based on observations from an X-band polarimetric radar network and conventional C-band radar,” Indian J. Radio Space Phys., Vol.41, pp. 461-470, 2012.
-  I. Strangeways, “Improving precipitation measurement,” Int. J. Climatol., Vol.24, pp. 1443-1460, 2004.
-  M. Allegretti, S. Bertoldo, A. Prato, C. Lucianaz, O. Rorato, R. Notarpietro, and M. Gabella, “X-band mini radar for observing and monitoring rainfall events,” Atmos. Climate Sci., Vol.2, pp. 290-297, 2012.
-  V. T. Chow, D. R. Maidment, and L. W. Mays, Applied Hydrology, McGrawHill, New York, 1988.
-  S. P. C., M. Maki, S. Shimizu, T. Maesaka, D. Kim, D. Lee, and H. Iida, “Correction of reflectivity in the presence of partial beam blockage over a mountainous region using X-band dual polarization radar,” J. Hydrometeor., Vol.14, pp. 744-764, 2013.
-  K. Price, S. T. Purucker, S. R. Kraemer, J. E. Babendreier, and C. D. Knightes, “Comparison of radar and gauge precipitation data in watershed models across varying spatial and temporal scales,” Hydrol. Processes, Vol.28, pp. 3505-3520, 2014.
-  R. F. Adler, G. J. Huffman, A. Chang, R. Ferraro, P. Xie, J. Janowiak, B. Rudolf, U. Schneider, S. Curtis, D. Bolvin, A. Gruber, J. Susskind, P. Arkin, and E. Nelkin, “The version-2 Global Precipitation Climatology Project (GPCP) Monthly precipitation analysis (1979-present),” J. Hydrometeor., Vol.4, pp. 1147-1167, 2003.
-  A. K. Mitra, M. D. Gupta, S. V. Singh, and T. N. Krishnamurti, “Daily rainfall for the Indian monsoon region from merged satellite and rain gauge values: Large scale analysis from real time data,” J. Hydrometeor., Vol.4, pp. 769-781, 2003.
-  Y. Suzuki, E. Nakakita, M. Hasebe, and S. Ikebuchi, “Study on rainfall-topography relationships in Japan with regard to the spatial scale of mountains slopes,” Proc. 6th Int. Symp. on Hydrological Applications of Weather Radar, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 8, 2004.
-  Z. Sokol and V. Bliznak, “Areal distribution and precipitation-altitude relationship of heavy short-term precipitation in the Czech Republic in the warm part of the year,” Atmos. Res., Vol. 94, pp. 652-662, 2009.
-  S. Y. Matrosov, K. A. Clark, B. E. Martner, and A. Tokay, “ X-band polarimetric radar measurements of rainfall,” J. Appl. Meteor., Vol.41, pp. 941-952, 2002.
-  M. Maki, K. Iwanami, R. Misumi, S.-G. Park, H. Moriwaki, K. Maruyama, I. Watabe, D.-I. Lee, M. Jang, H.-K. Kim, V. N. Bringi, and H. Uyeda, “Semi-operational rainfall observations with X-band multi-parameter radar,” Atmos. Sci. Lett., Vol.6, pp. 12-18, 2005.
-  S. Y. Matrosov, D. E. Kingsmill, B. E. Martner, and F. M. Ralph, “The utility of X-band polarimetric radar for quantitative estimates of rainfall parameters,” J. Hydrometeor., Vol.6, pp. 248-262, 2005.
-  M. N. Anagnostou, J. Kalogiros, E. N. Anagnostou, and A. Papadopoulos, “Experimental results on rainfall estimation in complex terrain with a mobile X-band polarimetric weather radar,” J. Atmos. Res., Vol.94, pp. 579-595, 2009.
-  S.-G. Park, M. Maki, K. Iwanami, V. N. Bringi, and V. Chandrasekar, “Correction of radar reflectivity and differential reflectivity for rain attenuation at X band. Part II: Evaluation and application,” J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., Vol.22, pp. 1633-1655, 2005.
-  I. Sugiura, “Very-short-range forecast of precipitation in Japan,” 14th annual WRF users’s workshop, Colorado, USA, 2013.
-  T. Maesaka, M. Maki, K. Iwanami, S. Tsuchiya, K. Kieda, and A. Hoshi “Operational rainfall estimation by X-band MP radar network in MLIT, Japan,” 35th Conf. on Radar Meteorology, Pittsburgh, USA, 2011.
-  M. Nakamura, S. Kaneda, Y. Wakazuki, C. Muroi, A. Hashimoto, T. Kato, A. Noda, M. Yoshizaki, and K. Yasunaga, “Effects of Global Warming on Heavy Rainfall During the Baiu Season Projected by a Cloud-System-Resolving Model,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 15-24, 2008.
-  K. Toda, “Urban Flooding and Measures,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 143-152, 2007.
-  A. Tominaga, “Lessons learned from Tokai heavy rainfall,” J. of Disasster Research, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 50-53, 2007.
-  S. Kawai and K. Ashida, “Flood Disaster in the Yura River in 2004 and 2013,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.9, No.6 pp. 1088-1100, 2014.
-  DRI Survey Report No.44, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  S. P. C. and M. Maki, “Application of a modified digital elevation model method to correct radar reflectivity of X-band dual-polarization radars in mountainous regions,” Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.8, pp. 77-83, 2014.
-  Y. Hisada, Y. Sugihara, and N. Matsunaga, “Meteorological characteristics of local heavy rainfall in the Fukuoka plain,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 429-435, 2015.
-  A. Basist, G. D. Bell, and V. Meentemeyer, “Statistical relationships between topography and precipitation patterns,” J. Clim., Vol.7, pp. 1305-1315, 1994.
-  K. Dairaku, S. Emori, and T. Oki, “Rainfall amount, intensity, duration, and frequency relationships in the Mae Chaem watershed in southeast Asia,” J. Hydrometeor., Vol.5, pp. 458-470, 2004.
-  A. Kato and M. Maki, “Localized heavy rainfall near Zoshigaya, Tokyo, Japan on 5 August 2008 observed by X-band polarimetirc radar: Preliminary analysis,” SOLA, Vol.5, pp. 89-92, 2009.
-  D.-S. Kim and M. Maki, “Validation of composite polarimetric parameters and rainfall rates from an X-band dual-polarization radar network in the Tokyo metropolitan area,” Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.6, pp. 76-81, 2012.
-  http://www.data.jma.go.jp/fcd/yoho/data/hibiten/2015/201509.pdf [Accessed May 30, 2016].
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.