Fundamental Analysis for Flood Risk Management in the Selected River Basins of Southeast Asia
Badri Bhakta Shrestha*1, Toshio Okazumi*2, Mamoru Miyamoto*1,
Seishi Nabesaka*3, Shigenobu Tanaka*4, and Ai Sugiura*1
*1International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM), Public Works Research Institute (PWRI), 1-6 Minamihara, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8516, Japan
*2Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan
*3Asakura Integrated Office for Koishibaragawa Dam Constructing Project, Japan Water Agency, Asakura-shi, Fukuoka, Japan
*4Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji-shi, Kyoto, Japan
-  D. Lee, B. Oh, H. Kim, S. Lee, and G. Chung, “Comparision of the hydro-climatological characteristics for the extra-ordinary flood induced by tropical cyclone in the selected river basins,” Tropical Cyclone Research and Review, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 45-54, 2013.
-  B. B. Shrestha, T. Okazumi, S. Tanaka, A. Sugiura, Y. Kwak and S. Hibino, “Development of flood vulnerability indices for Lower Mekong basin in Cambodian floodplain,” Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser B1 (Hydraulic Engineering), Vol.69, No.4, pp. I_1-I_6, 2013.
-  L. Nie, L. A. Roald, S. Mellegard, and C. Maksimovic, “Flood risk management in a cold climate – experience in Norway,” Floods: From Risk to Opportunity, IAHS Publication, No.357, pp. 198-207, 2013.
-  T. Sugiura, K. Fukami, N. Fujiwara, K. Hamaguchi, S. Nakamura, S. Hironaka, K. Nakamura, T. Wada, M. Ishikawa, T. Shimizu, H. Inomata, and K. Ito, “Development of integrated flood analysis system (IFAS) and its applications,” Proceedings of 7th ISE & 8th HIC, Chile, 2009.
-  M. Miyamoto, A. Sugiura, T. Okazumi, S. Tanaka, S. Nabesaka, and K. Fukami, “Suggestion for an advanced early warning system based on flood forecasting in Bengawan Solo river basin,” Indonesia, 10th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, IWA IAHR, No.394, July, 2012.
-  K. Takeuchi, A. W. Jayawardena, and Y. Takahasi (Eds.), “Catalogue of rivers for southeast asia and the pacific,” Vol.I,
http://flood.dpri.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ihp_rsc/riverCatalogue/Vol_01/ [accessed November 8, 2013]
-  PAGASA, “Some basic information about floods and the flood forecasting branch,”
http://kidlat.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/ffb/ffb.html [accessed September 27, 2013]
-  C. J. S. Sarmiento, R. J. V. Ayson, R. M. Gonzalez, and P. P. M. Castro, “Remote sensing and GIS in inflow estimation: the Magat reservoir, Philippines experience,” Proceedings of ISPRS TC VII Symposium, pp. 227-232, 2010.
-  MRC (Mekong River Commission), “Overview of the hydrology of the Mekong basin,” Mekong River Commission, Vientiane, pp. 1-73.
-  B. Ros, P. Nang, and C. Chhim, “Agricultural development and climate change: the case of Cambodia,” Cambodia’s Leading Independent Development Policy Research Institute, Working Paper Series, No.65, 2011.
-  World Meteorological Organization (WMO), “Guide to hydrological practices: volume 1 hydrology-from measurement to hydrological information,” WMO, WMO-No.168, 2008.
-  Y. Shiraishi, K. Fukami, and H. Inomata, “The proposal of correction method using the movement of rainfall area on satellite-based rainfall information by analysis in the Yoshino River Basin,” Annual Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, JSCE, Vol.53, pp. 385-390, 2009.
-  S. Shige, S. Kida, H. Ashiwake, T. Kubota, and K. Aonashi, “Improvement of TMI rain retrievals in mountainous areas,” Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, Vol.52, pp. 242-254, 2013.
-  Z. W. Kundzewicz, “Global change and flood risk management,” Large-scale Floods Report, Technical Note of PWRI, No.4203, pp. 1-26, 2011.
-  Bureau of Agricultural Statistics (BAS), “Manual on damage assessment and reporting system,” Department of Agriculture, Philippines, February, 2013.
-  Flood Management and Mitigation Programme (FMMP), “Flood damages, benefits and flood risk in focal areas,” the Flood Management and Mitigation Programme, C2, MRCS, 2C, 2010.
-  T. Taniguchi, T. Masumoto, K. Shimizu, N. Horikawa, and T. Yoshida, “Development of a distributed water circulation model incorporating various paddy water uses, Part 1: a model for estimating cropping pattern and area,” J. Japan Soc. Hydrol. Wat. Resour., Vol.22, No.2, pp. 101-112, 2009.
-  T. Okazumi, S. Tanaka, Y. Kwak, B. B. Shrestha, and A. Sugiura, “Flood vulnerability assessment in the light of rice cultivation characteristics in Mekong river flood plain in Cambodia,” Paddy and Water Environment, DOI 10.1007/s10333-013-043-1, 2013.
-  T. Sayama, G. Ozawa, T. Kawakami, S. Nabesaka, and K. Fukami, “Rainfall-Runoff-Inundation analysis of Pakistan flood 2010 at the Kabul river basin,” Hydrological Sciences Journal, Vol.57, No.2, pp. 298-312, 2012.
-  A. Sugiura, S. Tanaka, T. Okazumi, Y. Kwak, S. Hibino, and B. B. Shrestha, “Calculation of flood house damages in the Mekong river basin in Cambodia,” 6th International Perspective on Water Resources and the Environment, Turkey, January, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.