Research Activities and Responding to Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda): Tohoku-RITM Collaborating Research Center in the Philippines
Mariko Saito*,**, Mayuko Saito*, Tadatsugu Imamura*,
Taro Kamigaki*, Socorro P. Lupisan***, and Hitoshi Oshitani*
*Department of Virology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 2-1 Seiryo-machi, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8575, Japan
**Tohoku-RITM Collaborating Research Center on Emerging and Re-Emerging Infectious Diseases, 3
rd floor, BMD Building, RITM compound, FCC, Alabang, Muntinlupa 1781, the Philippines
***Research Institute for Tropical Medicine, FCC, Alabang, Muntinlupa City 1781, the Philippines
-  Y. Sayama, C. Demetria, M. Saito et al., “A seroepidemiologic study of Reston ebolavirus in swine in the Philippines,” BMC Vet. Res., Vol.8, No.1, p. 82, 2012.
-  N. Fuji, A. Suzuki, M. Saito et al., “Interruption of the circulation of an indigenous measles genotype and the introduction of other genotypes after a mass vaccination campaign in the Philippines,” J. Med. Virol., Vol.83, No.8, pp. 1424-7, 2011.
-  “Influenza fact sheet no.211,” World Health Organization,
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs211/en/ [accessed July 1, 2014]
-  “A practical guide for designing and conducting influenza disease burden studies,” World Health Organization, Western Pacific Regional Office,
http://www.wpro.who.int/emerging_diseases/documents/docs/GuideforDesigningandConductingInfluenza Studies.pdf?ua=1 [accessed July 1, 2014]
-  V. L. Tallo, T. Kamigaki, A. G. Tan et al., “Estimating influenza outpatients’ and inpatients’ incidences from 2009 to 2011 in a tropical urban setting in the Philippines,” Influenza Other Respir Viruses, 2014.
-  R. R. Pamaran, T. Kamigaki, T. T. Hewe et al., “Epidemiological characterization of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 cases from 2009 to 2010 in Baguio City, the Philippines,” PLoS One, Vol.8, No.11, p. e79916, 2013.
-  A. Suzuki, S. Lupisan, Y. Furuse et al., “Respiratory viruses from hospitalized children with severe pneumonia in the Philippines,” BMC Infect. Dis., Vol.12, p. 267, 2012.
-  N. Fuji, A. Suzuki, S. Lupisan et al., “Detection of human rhinovirus C viral genome in blood among children with severe respiratory infections in the Philippines,” PLoS One, Vol.6, No.11, p. e27247, 2011.
-  A. Ohno, A. Suzuki, S. Lupisan et al., “Genetic characterization of human respiratory syncytial virus detected in hospitalized children in the Philippines from 2008 to 2012,” J. Clin. Virol., Vol.57, No.1, pp. 59-65, 2013.
-  J. H. Schieble, V. L. Fox, and E. H. Lennette, “A probable new human picornavirus associated with respiratory diseases,” Am. J. Epidemiol., Vol.85, No.2, pp. 297-310, 1967.
-  P. Linsuwanon, J. Puenpa, K. Suwannakarn et al., “Molecular epidemiology and evolution of human enterovirus serotype 68 in Thailand, 2006-2011,” PLoS One, Vol.7, No.5, p. e35190, 2012.
-  A. Meijer, S. van der Sanden, B. E. Snijders et al., “Emergence and epidemic occurrence of enterovirus 68 respiratory infections in The Netherlands in 2010,” Virology, Vol.423, No.1, pp. 49-57, 2012.
-  R. Tokarz, C. Firth, S. A. Madhi et al., “Worldwide emergence of multiple clades of enterovirus 68,” J. Gen. Virol., Vol.93, No.Pt 9, pp. 1952-8, 2012.
-  T. Imamura, N. Fuji, A. Suzuki et al., “Enterovirus 68 among children with severe acute respiratory infection, the Philippines,” Emerg. Infect. Dis., Vol.17, No.8, pp. 1430-5, 2011.
-  T. Imamura, A. Suzuki, S. Lupisan et al., “Molecular evolution of enterovirus 68 detected in the Philippines,” PLoS One, Vol.8, No.9, p. e74221, 2013.
-  T. Imamura, A. Suzuki, S. Lupisan et al., “Detection of enterovirus 68 in serum from pediatric patients with pneumonia and their clinical outcomes,” Influenza Other Respir Viruses, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 21-4, 2014.
-  T. Imamura, M. Okamoto, S. Nakakita et al., “Antigenic and receptor binding properties of enterovirus 68,” J. Virol., Vol.88, No.5, pp. 2374-84, 2014.
-  National Rabies Control and Prevention Program, 2009., Department of Health, Philippines.
-  M. Saito, H. Oshitani, J. R. Orbina et al., “Genetic diversity and geographic distribution of genetically distinct rabies viruses in the Philippines,” PLoS Negl. Trop. Dis., Vol.7, No.4, p. e2144, 2013.
-  K. Tohma, M. Saito, T. Kamigaki et al., “Phylogeographic analysis of rabies viruses in the Philippines,” Infect. Genet. Evol., Vol.23C, pp. 86-94, 2014.
-  “Republic Act No.9482 “Anti-Rabies Act of 2007”,” Congress of the Philippines.
-  “NDRRMC UPDATE, SitRep No.104 Effects of Typhoon “Yolanda”,” National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, 2014,
http://www.ndrrmc.gov.ph/attachments/article/1125/Update%20Sitrep%20No.%20104%20Effects%20of%20TY%20YOLANDA.pdf [accessed July 1, 2014]
-  S. Mimura, T. Kamigaki, and H. Oshitani, “Disease Risk After the Great East Japan Earthquake,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.7, No.6, pp. 741-745, 2012.
-  “Guidance for health sector assessment to support the post disaster recovery process,” Whorld Health Organization, 2010,
http://www.who.int/hac/techguidance/tools/manuals/pdna_health_sector_17dec10.pdf [accessed July 1, 2014]
-  “Public health recovery after the Great East Japan Earthquake. Experiences in selected areas of Miyagi Prefecture,” The Sasagawa Peace Foundation, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.