Bioweapons and Dual-Use Research of Concern
Nariyoshi Shinomiya*, Masamichi Minehata**, and Malcolm Dando***
*Department of Integrative Physiology and Bio-Nano Medicine, National Defense Medical College, 3-2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Saitama 359-8513, Japan
**Bradford Disarmament Research Centre, University of Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD7 1DP, UK
***Department of Peace Studies, University of Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD7 1DP, UK
-  E. Geissler and J. van Courtland Moon, “Biological and Toxin Weapons Research, Development and Use from the Middle Ages to 1945,” Oxford University Press (Oxford), 2001.
-  C. Redmond, M. J. Pearce, R. J. Manchee, and B. P. Berdal, “Deadly relic of the Great War,” Nature, Vol.393, pp. 747-748, 1998.
-  M. Wheelis, M. L. Rózsa, and M. R. Dando, “Deadly Cultures: Biological Weapons since 1945,” Harvard University Press (Massachusetts), 496, 2006.
-  “USAMRIID’s Medical management of biological casualties handbook,” 7th edition, Dembek Z. F., Ed, U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (Fort Detrick), 2011.
-  K. Alibek and S. Handelman, “Biohazard: The chilling True Story of the largest Covert Biological Weapons Program in the World-Told from Inside by the Man Who Ran it,” Delta (New York), 1999.
-  M. Leitenberg and R. A. Zilinskas, “The Soviet Biological Weapons Program: A History,” Harvard University Press (Massachusetts), 2012.
-  M. Dando, “Bioterror and Biowarfare,” Oneworld (Oxford), 2006.
-  S. Gould, “Project Coast: Apartheid’s Chemical and Biological Warfare Program,” United Nations Disarmament Research (Geneva), 2002.
-  M. Meselson, J. Guillemin, M. Hugh-Jones, A. Langmuir, I. Popova, A. Shelokov, and O. Yampolskaya, “The Sverdlovsk anthrax outbreak of 1979,” Science, Vol.266, pp. 1202-1208, 1994.
-  N. Sims, “The Evolution of Biological Disarmament,” Oxford University Press (Oxford), 2001.
-  M. Meselson, “The Problem of Biological Weapons,” Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs, 2000.
-  V. M. Borzenkov, A. P. Pomerantsev, and I. P. Ashmarin, “The additive synthesis of a regulatory peptide in vivo: the administration of a vaccinal Francisella tularensis strain that produces beta-endorphin,” Biull Eksp Biol Med, Vol.116, pp. 151-153, 1993.
-  http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/agentlist-category.asp [accessed March 28, 2013]
-  A. P. Pomerantsev, N. A. Staritsin, V.Mockov Yu, and L. I. Marinin, “Expression of cereolysine AB genes in Bacillus anthracis vaccine strain ensures protection against experimental hemolytic anthrax infection,” Vaccine, Vol.15, pp. 1846-1850, 1997.
-  R. J. Jackson, A. J. Ramsay, C. D. Christensen, S. Beaton, D. F. Hall, and I. A. Ramshaw, “Expression of mouse interleukin-4 by a recombinant ectromelia virus suppresses cytolytic lymphocyte responses and overcomes genetic resistance to mousepox,” J. Virol., Vol.75, pp. 1205-1210, 2001.
-  R. Nowak, “Disaster in the making,” New Scientist, 2001.
-  Committee on Research Standards and Practices to Prevent the Destructive Application of Biotechnology NRC, “Biotechnology Research in an Age of Terrorism,” The National Academies Press (Washington D.C.), 2004.
-  J. Cello, A. V. Paul, and E. Wimmer, “Chemical synthesis of poliovirus cDNA: generation of infectious virus in the absence of natural template,” Science, Vol.297, pp. 1016-1018, 2002.
-  H. O. Smith, C. A. Hutchison, 3rd, C. Pfannkoch, and J. C. Venter, “Generating a synthetic genome by whole genome assembly: phiX174 bacteriophage from synthetic oligonucleotides,” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, Vol.100, pp. 15440-15445, 2003.
-  D. G. Gibson, G. A. Benders, C. Andrews-Pfannkoch, E. A. Denisova, H. Baden-Tillson, J. Zaveri, T. B. Stockwell, A. Brownley, D. W. Thomas, M. A. Algire, C. Merryman, L. Young, V. N. Noskov, J. I. Glass, J. C. Venter, C. A. Hutchison, 3rd, and H. O. Smith, “Complete chemical synthesis, assembly, and cloning of a Mycoplasma genitalium genome,” Science, Vol.319, pp. 1215-1220, 2008.
-  D. G. Gibson, J. I. Glass, C. Lartigue, V. N. Noskov, R. Y. Chuang, M. A. Algire, G. A. Benders, M. G. Montague, L. Ma, M. M. Moodie, C. Merryman, S. Vashee, R. Krishnakumar, N. Assad-Garcia, C. Andrews-Pfannkoch, E. A. Denisova, L. Young, Z. Q. Qi, T. H. Segall-Shapiro, C. H. Calvey, P. P. Parmar, C. A. Hutchison, 3rd, H. O. Smith, and J. C. Venter, “Creation of a bacterial cell controlled by a chemically synthesized genome,” Science, Vol.329, pp. 52-56, 2010.
-  T. M. Tumpey, C. F. Basler, P. V. Aguilar, H. Zeng, A. Solorzano, D. E. Swayne, N. J. Cox, J. M. Katz, J. K. Taubenberger, P. Palese, and A. Garcia-Sastre, “Characterization of the reconstructed 1918 Spanish influenza pandemic virus,” Science, Vol.310, pp. 77-80, 2005.
-  D. Kobasa, A. Takada, K. Shinya, M. Hatta, P. Halfmann, S. Theriault, H. Suzuki, H. Nishimura, K. Mitamura, N. Sugaya, T. Usui, T. Murata, Y. Maeda, S. Watanabe, M. Suresh, T. Suzuki, Y. Suzuki, H. Feldmann, and Y. Kawaoka, “Enhanced virulence of influenza A viruses with the haemagglutinin of the 1918 pandemic virus,” Nature, Vol.431, pp. 703-707, 2004.
-  R. A. Fouchier, A. Garcia-Sastre, and Y. Kawaoka, “Pause on avian flu transmission studies,” Nature, Vol.481, p. 443, 2012.
-  S. Herfst, E. J. Schrauwen, M. Linster, S. Chutinimitkul, E. de Wit, V. J. Munster, E. M. Sorrell, T. M. Bestebroer, D. F. Burke, D. J. Smith, G. F. Rimmelzwaan, A. D. Osterhaus, and R. A. Fouchier, “Airborne transmission of influenza A/H5N1 virus between ferrets,” Science, Vol.336, pp. 1534-1541, 2012.
-  M. Imai, T. Watanabe, M. Hatta, S. C. Das, M. Ozawa, K. Shinya, G. Zhong, A. Hanson, H. Katsura, S. Watanabe, C. Li, E. Kawakami, S. Yamada, M. Kiso, Y. Suzuki, E. A. Maher, G. Neumann, and Y. Kawaoka, “Experimental adaptation of an influenza H5 HA confers respiratory droplet transmission to a reassortant H5 HA/H1N1 virus in ferrets,” Nature, Vol.486, pp. 420-428, 2012.
-  R. A. Fouchier, A. Garcia-Sastre, and Y. Kawaoka, “H5N1 virus: Transmission studies resume for avian flu,” Nature, Vol.493, p. 609, 2013.
-  R. A. Fouchier, A. Garcia-Sastre, Y. Kawaoka, W. S. Barclay, N. M. Bouvier, I. H. Brown, I. Capua, H. Chen, R. W. Compans, R. B. Couch, N. J. Cox, P. C. Doherty, R. O. Donis, H. Feldmann, Y. Guan, J.M. Katz, O. I. Kiselev, H. D. Klenk, G. Kobinger, J. Liu, X. Liu, A. Lowen, T. C. Mettenleiter, A. D. Osterhaus, P. Palese, J. S. Peiris, D. R. Perez, J. A. Richt, S. Schultz-Cherry, J. Steel, K. Subbarao, D. E. Swayne, T. Takimoto, M. Tashiro, J. K. Taubenberger, P. G. Thomas, R. A. Tripp, T. M. Tumpey, R. J. Webby, and R. G. Webster, “Transmission studies resume for avian flu,” Science, Vol.339, pp. 520-521, 2013.
-  A. P. Patterson, L. A. Tabak, A. S. Fauci, F. S. Collins, and S. Howard, “Research funding. A framework for decisions about research with HPAI H5N1 viruses,” Science, Vol.339, pp. 1036-1037, 2013.
-  University of Bradford, “Lecture 17, Weapons Targeted at Nervous System,” Bradford, 2013, Available from:
http://www.brad.ac.uk/bioethics/educationalmoduleresource/ [accessed March 28, 2013]
-  L. R. Hochberg, M. D. Serruya, G. M. Friehs, J. A. Mukand, M. Saleh, A. H. Caplan, A. Branner, D. Chen, R. D. Penn, and J. P. Donoghue, “Neuronal ensemble control of prosthetic devices by a human with tetraplegia,” Nature, Vol.442, pp. 164-171, 2006.
-  K. Smallwood, R. Trapp, R. Mathews, B. Schmidt, and L. K. Sydnes, “Impact of scientific developments on the chemical weapons convention (IUPAC Technical Report),” Pure Appl Chem, 2012.
-  National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity, “Proposed Framework for the Oversight of Dual Use Life Sciences Research: Strategies for Minimizing the Potential Misuse of Research Information,” 2007.
-  Committee on Advances in Technology and the Prevention of Their Application to Next Generation Biowarfare Threats, Institute of Medicine and National Research Council, “Globalization, Biosecurity, and the Future of the Life Sciences,” National Academies Press, 2006.
-  G. Mancini and J. Revill, “Biosecurity Education for the Next Generation of Life Scientists,” Fostering the Biosecurity Norm; Como, Italy, 2008.
-  M. Minehata and N. Shinomiya, “PART 2: NATIONAL EXPERIENCES, Chapter 5: Japan: Obstacles, Lessons and Future,” B. Rappert, Ed., Education and Ethics in the Life Sciences Strengthening the Prohibition of Biological Weapons, ANU E Press, Canberra, pp. 93-114, 2010.
-  University of Bradford, “Educational Module Resources (EMR),” Bradford, 2013, http://www.brad.ac.uk/bioethics/educationalmoduleresource/ [accessed March 28, 2013]
-  http://virtualbiosecuritycenter.org/ [accessed March 28, 2013]
-  http://www.brad.ac.uk/bioethics/trainthetrainer/ [accessed March 28, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.