Lessons from the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Disaster
Shunichi Koshimura*, Satomi Hayashi**, and Hideomi Gokon**
*International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Aoba 6-6-03, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, Aoba 6-6-03, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579 Japan
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI), 2011,
www.gsi.go.jp/BOUSAI/h23_tohoku.html [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  N. Mori, T. Takahashi, and the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group, “Nationwide post event survey and analysis of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake tsunami,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 125001, 2012, doi: 10.1142/S0578563412500015.
-  National Police Agency, “Report of the damage caused by the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami,” 2012 (in Japanese),
http://www.npa.go.jp/archive/keibi/biki/higaijokyo.pdf [accessed July 10, 2013]
-  Cabinet Office, 2011,
www.bousai.go.jp/2011daishinsai/pdf/110624-1kisya.pdf [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  Ministry of Finance Japan, 2011,
www.mof.go.jp/english/budget/budget/fy2012/e20111224b.pdf [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, EERI Learning from Earthquakes Program, Reports on March 11, 2011 Great East Japan (Tohoku) Tsunami and Earthquake, EERI Special Earthquake Report, 94p., 2011.
-  N.Mori, D. T. Cox, T. Yasuda, and H. Mase, “Overview of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Damage and Its Relation to Coastal Protection along the Sanriku Coast,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.29, No.S1, pp. S479-S499, 2013.
-  H. Mase, Y. Kimura, Y. Yamakawa, T. Yasuda, N. Mori, and D. T. Cox, “Were Coastal Defensive Structures Completely Broken by an Unexpectedly Large Tsunami? A Field Survey,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.29, No.S1, pp. S145-S160, 2013.
-  K. Iuchi, L. A. Johnson, and R. B. Olshansky, “Securing Tohoku’s Future: Planning for Rebuilding in the First Year Following the Tohoku-Oki Earthquake and Tsunami,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.29, No.S1, pp. S479-S499, 2013.
-  T. Lay, H. Kanamori, “Insights from the 2011 great Japan earthquake,” Physics Today, Vol.64, No.12, 33, pp. 33-39, 2011, doi: 10.1063/PT.3.1361
-  Y. Yoshida, H. Ueno, D. Muto, and S. Aoki, “Source process of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake with the combination of teleseismic and strong motion data,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, pp. 565165UTF2013569, 2011, doi:10.5047/eps.2011.05.011.
-  I. Abe, T. Abe et al., “High resolution survey results for the inundation limit and height of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake tsunami,” Abstract of Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2011, MIS036-P120, 2011,
www2.jpgu.org/meeting/2011/yokou/MIS036-P120.pdf [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Japan Tsunami Trace Database, 2013,
tsunami3.civil.tohoku.ac.jp [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  H. M. Fritz, J. C. Borrero, C. E. Synolakis, and J. Yoo, “2004 Indian Ocean tsunami flow velocity measurements from survivor videos,” Geophysical Research Letters, Vol.33, L24605, 2006, doi: 10.1029/2006GL026784.
-  H. M. Fritz, D. A. Phillips, A. Okayasu, T. Shimozono, H. Liu, F. Mohammed, V. Skanavis, C. E. Synolakis, and T. Takahashi, “The 2011 Japan tsunami current velocity measurements from survivor videos at Kesennuma Bay using LiDAR, Geophysical Research Letters,” Vol.39, L00G23, 2012, doi:10.1029/ 2011GL050686.
-  G. Chock, I. Robertson, D. Kriebel, M. Francis, and I. Nistor, “Tohoku Japan Tsunami of March 11, 2011 Performance of Structures,” ASCE/SEI Tohoku Tsunami Reconnaissance Report, 2012.
-  S. Koshimura and S. Hayashi, “Tsunami flow measurement using the video recorded during the 2011 Tohoku tsunami attack,” Proc. International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (Munich), IEEE, CD-ROM, pp. 6693-6696, July, 2012, doi: 10.1109/IGARSS.2012.6352063.
-  P. Foytong, A. Ruangrassamee, G. Shoji, Y. Hiraki, and Y. Ezura, “Analysis of Tsunami Flow Velocities during the March 2011 Tohoku, Japan, Tsunami,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.29, No.S1, pp. S161-S181, 2013.
-  S. Hayashi and S. Koshimura, “The 2011 Tohoku Tsunami Flow Velocity Estimation by the Aerial Video Analysis and Numerical Modeling,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 561-572, 2013.
-  Yomiuri Shimbun, “The 2011 tsunami attacking Onagawa town, Miyagi Prefecture (survivor video),” 2011,
www.yomiuri.co.jp/stream/sp/earthquake/earthquake_088.htm [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI), Aerial photo archives, 2011,
portal.cyberjapan.jp/denshi/index3_tohoku.html [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  H. Gokon and S. Koshimura, “Mapping of building damage of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake tsunami in Miyagi Prefecture,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 125006-1-12, 2012, doi:10.1142/S0578563412500064.
-  S. Koshimura, Y. Namegaya, and H. Yanagisawa, “Tsunami Fragility, A new measure to assess tsunami damage,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 479-488, 2009.
-  S. Koshimura, T. Oie, H. Yanagisawa, and F. Imamura, “Developing fragility functions for tsunami damage estimation using numerical model and post-tsunami data from Banda Aceh, Indonesia,” Coastal Engineering Journal, No.3, pp. 243-273, 2009.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, 2011,
http://www.pa.thr.mlit.go.jp/kamaishi/bousai/bouhatei/bouhateikamaishi.html [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management (NILIM), “Coastal defense structure design for disaster-resilience,” 2012 (in Japanese),
http://www.nilim.go.jp/lab/fcg/labo/02_02.html [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  Cabinet Office, 2011, www.bousai.go.jp/kaigirep/chousakai/tohokukyokun/pdf/sankou.pdf [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  F. Imamura, S. Koshimura, Y. Mabuchi, T. Oie, and K. Okada, “The tsunami source model of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake,” 2012 (in Japanese),
www.tsunami.civil.tohoku.ac.jp/hokusai3/J/events/tohoku_2011/model/dcrc_ver1.2.pdf [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  Sendai city, “Sendai City Earthquake Disaster Reconstruction Plan,” Digest Version, 12p., 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.