The Potential of Fijian Traditional Housing to Cope with Natural Disasters in Rural Fiji
Ayako Fujieda and Hirohide Kobayashi
Graduate School of Global Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, Yoshida Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
-  N. Mimura, L. Nurse, R. F. McLean, J. Agard, L. Briguglio, P. Lefale, R. Payet and G. Sem, “Small islands. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability,” Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, M. L. Parry, O. F. Canziani, J. P. Palutikof, P. J. van der Linden and C. E. Hanson (Eds.), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, pp. 687-716.J.R., 2007.
-  M. Pelling and J. I. Utitto, “Small island developing states: natural disaster vulnerability and global change,” Environmental Hazards, Vol.3, pp. 49-62, 2001.
-  S. Manyena, “The concept of resilience revisited,” Disasters, Vol.30, No.4, pp. 433-450, 2006.
-  J. Campbell, “Traditional Disaster Reduction in Pacific Island Communities,” GNS Science Report, Vol.38, 2006.
-  J. Veitayaki and L. Sivo, “Using Traditional Knoledge to address Climate Change: The Fiji Scenario” in Indigenous People and Conservation: From Rights to Resource Management, Conservation International, pp. 235-246, 2010.
-  J. Mercer, D. Dominey-Howes, I. Kelman and K. Lloyd, “The potential for combining indigenous and western knowledge in reducing vulnerability to environmental hazards in small island developing states,” Environmental Hazards, Vol.7, pp. 245-256, 2007.
-  R. Chambers, “Rural Development: putting the last first,” Longman, 1983.
-  P. Sillitoe, “The development of Indigenous Knowledge: A New Applied Anthropology,” Current Anthropology, Vol.39, No.2, pp. 223-252, 1998.
-  T. W. Purcell, “Indigenous Knowledge and Applied Anthropology; Questions of Definition and Direction,” Human Organization, Vol.57, No.3, pp. 258-272, 1998.
-  A. Agrawal, “Dismantling the divide between indigenous and scientific knowledge,” Development and Change, 26, pp. 413-439, 1995
-  F.Mazzocchi, “Western science and traditional knowledge,” EMBO reports,” Vol.7, No.5, pp. 463-466, 2006.
-  J. Briggs, “The use of indigenous knowledge in development: problems and challenges,” Progress in Development Studies, Vol.2, pp. 99-114, 2005.
-  Fiji Islands Bureau of Statistics, “Fiji Facts and Figures As At 1st July 2010,” Fiji Islands Bureaus of Statistics, Suva, 2010.
-  G. K. Roth, “Fijian Way of Life second edition,” Oxford University Press, Melbourne, 1973.
-  National Disaster Management Office (NDMO), “Tropical “Cyclone Tomas” Report 12th-16th March 2010,” National Disaster Management Office, Suva, 2010.
-  C. Walsh, “Fiji: An Encyclopedia Atlas,” Suva: The University of the South Pacific, 2006.
-  P. Dubuli, Interviewee, Personal interview, March 25, 2010 (interview).
-  UNDRO, “Shelter after Disaster Guidelines for Assistance,” United Nations, New York, 1982.
-  A. Rapoport, House, Form and Culture, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Printice-Hall, 1969.
-  S. Freeman, “The Centre-Poled Houses of Western Viti Levu,” DOMODOMDO Fijian Museum Quartery, Vol.IV, No.V, pp. 2-19, 1986.
-  Tippet, “Fijian Material Culture: A Study of Cultural Context, Function and Change,” Bishop Museum Press, Honolulu, 1968.
-  A. Ravuvu, “Development or Dependence,” Suva: University of the South Pacific, 1988.
-  S. Barakat, “Housing reconstruction after conflict and disaster,” Humanitarian Practice Network, London, 2003.
-  S. Tawake, Personal interview with Sermaia Tawake on March, 2012, 2011.
-  J. Bola, Interviewee, Personal Interview, November 17, 2009 (interview).
-  National Disaster Management Office, “Report on Tropical Cyclone Ami,” National Disaster Management Office, Suva, 2003.
-  National Disaster Management Office, “Report on February/March/April 2007 Flood and tropical Cyclone Cliff: Northern, Easter and Western Division,” National Disaster Management Office, Suva, 2007.
-  National Disaster Management Office, “Tropical Cyclone Daman, December 2007, Impact on Cikobia Island and Proposed Relief and Rehabilitation Programme,” National Disaster Management Office, Suva.
-  National Taskforce Cyclone Gene, “Tropical Cyclone Gene National Taskforce Report,” National Disaster Management Office, Suva, 2008.
-  National Disaster Management Office, “Tropical Cyclone “Mick” Report 13th-16th December 2009,” National Disaster Management Office (NDMO), Suva, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.